Warning Letter

I had to join a meeting today that a pre-loader was written up for not following the correct loading methods. They only had two load audit to show and he does not remember ever having the audits gone over with him. From what I understand there's no documentation showing that he received a verbal warning in the write up they are stating that they will be sending out a warning letter. Should we file a grievance whenever he receives the warning letter?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I had to join a meeting today that a pre-loader was written up for not following the correct loading methods. They only had two load audit to show and he does not remember ever having the audits gone over with him. From what I understand there's no documentation showing that he received a verbal warning in the write up they are stating that they will be sending out a warning letter. Should we file a grievance whenever he receives the warning letter?
Are you a union steward? Thank heaven you're not my steward.....FFS.

10 point

Let em mail the warning ltr. Here they have to hand it to the hourly with a steward. If they miss the ten day deadline the warning ltr is nullified... normally after we file on it.

Let em mail the warning ltr. Here they have to hand it to the hourly with a steward. If they miss the ten day deadline the warning ltr is nullified... normally after we file on it.

What language in the contract do you use to file on?? I am waiting on my BA to call me back out it but there's no telling how long that'll take.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

They don't need to give a verbal warning before giving a written warning letter. For any infraction, except attendance, they can go straight to a warning letter.

Progressive discipline is NOT verbal warning, warning letter, suspension, discharge.

Progressive discipline IS warning letter, suspension, discharge.

That being said, grieve the warning letter, but do not base it on not receiving a verbal first. They don't have to.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
I have gotten 2 warning letters over my yrs. But ,I refused delivery. Never heard a thing about it. Wonder what happens to them? I look at it as what a waste of their time. Just to shuffle paper

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
They don't need to give a verbal warning before giving a written warning letter. For any infraction, except attendance, they can go straight to a warning letter.

Progressive discipline is NOT verbal warning, warning letter, suspension, discharge.

That being said, grieve the warning letter, but do not base it on not receiving a verbal first. They don't have to.
This has been my experience as well.
What I will add is to always take notes, with the date, who's in the room, details of the infraction, what was said by all parties, and the company's disposition including the contractual article sited.
By doing so, sometimes you can prove inconsistencies and assist your BA in the grievance process.

10 point

That's not every local's practice.
There's one in Ohio that has verbal as step one.
I have gotten 2 warning letters over my yrs. But ,I refused delivery. Never heard a thing about it. Wonder what happens to them? I look at it as what a waste of their time. Just to shuffle paper
Here they have to hand it to the hourly, in person, and with the steward present.
Send it in the mail and after ten days of notification it'll go away in a hearing.

10 point

Here they have to hand it to the hourly, in person, and with the steward present.
Send it in the mail and after ten days of notification it'll go away in a hearing.
I've had them come both certified and regular mail. Win!
They send ours certified
We have a settled grievance that the disposition is the co has to hand it to the victim with a steward present.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

As we all know, there are exceptions to every rule. I would be curious to know if this was a local agreement between the two parties or if they have a local rider with the afformentioned policy.

In any case, I could probably count on one hand the number of locals that may have a similar policy, but good point. The OP said he was contacting his BA. I'm sure his BA knows their local's policy.

10 point

As we all know, there are exceptions to every rule. I would be curious to know if this was a local agreement between the two parties or if they have a local rider with the afformentioned policy.

In any case, I could probably count on one hand the number of locals that may have a similar policy, but good point. The OP said he was contacting his BA. I'm sure his BA knows their local's policy.
It was settled out of a Steward's grievance. It did not affect just one employee but the whole building.