*warning* sappy but true.

Lobofan5

I complain as much as the next person about UPS but I have to say..

As I saw a lady in line at the pharmacy paying $200. for medicine...

As I read about another family pushed into financial burden from having no health coverage.

As I work for a company that has so much industry respect that we can get into just about ANY building with a smile and wave to deliver...

I am lucky that I found UPS because has provided security for me and my family in a world where that is becoming increasingly more difficult to obtain.

DorkHead

As I read about another family pushed into financial burden from having no health coverage.

As I work for a company that has so much industry respect that we can get into just about ANY building with a smile and wave to deliver...

I am lucky that I found UPS because has provided security for me and my family in a world where that is becoming increasingly more difficult to obtain.

Yeah, I`d have to agree with you on that. But in the same token, UPS is lucky they have me as a employee!!!

satellitedriver

I see it too, everyday.
We all need to be aware of the Grace we are showered with being able to have our jobs.
I complain, also, but mainly because this system could run so much more smoother and profitable, if we were allowed to do it properly.
PAX

LKLND3380

If it were not for the union contract, how much do you think you would be paying for health insurance?

huskres

I was at a pharmacy the other week and saw one old man whos tab was 272 dollars and some odd change...Thats a lot of medicine. Anyone here deliver to big medical buildings and see the drug reps buying lunch for the doctors offices, secretarys and everything? I see it everyday. Also see the front desk girls shopping online, playing on myspace and such. Now you wonder how come the health care costs are so damn high. Anyone else got a take?

satellitedriver

If it were not for the union contract, how much do you think you would be paying for health insurance?
For the amount UPS gives the teamsters, I could get better, cheaper coverage.
The fact that only 40% of what UPS donates to the teamsters is applied to the healthcare cost of UPS hourly employees should be addressed in the contract.

satellitedriver

I was at a pharmacy the other week and saw one old man whos tab was 272 dollars and some odd change...Thats a lot of medicine. Anyone here deliver to big medical buildings and see the drug reps buying lunch for the doctors offices, secretarys and everything? I see it everyday. Also see the front desk girls shopping online, playing on myspace and such. Now you wonder how come the health care costs are so damn high. Anyone else got a take?
It is the deadbeats who do not pay their bills that drive the costs up.
We take up the slack.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change

I'm leaving UPS shortly. I called to get the cost for COBRA. It was almost $400/month for ME!!! I'm a healthy, non-smoking, etc guy! I don't even wanna guess what it would be without some kinda negotiation between the insurance company and UPS. -Rocky

8up

I'm with Lobofan5. I walked in and signed on to a good deal. I don't complain too much, cause I've seen folks out there that really have things to complain about and they aren't doing it. They would like to be doing what I'm doing, I guess I make it look too good.

LKLND3380

For the amount UPS gives the teamsters, I could get better, cheaper coverage.
The fact that only 40% of what UPS donates to the teamsters is applied to the healthcare cost of UPS hourly employees should be addressed in the contract.

You could get cheaper and better coverage but the fact is you would be stuck in what ever health plan UPS picks...

There are better and there is worse.

We may not have the best but it is far better than what some end up with...

LKLND3380

I'm leaving UPS shortly. I called to get the cost for COBRA. It was almost $400/month for ME!!! I'm a healthy, non-smoking, etc guy! I don't even wanna guess what it would be without some kinda negotiation between the insurance company and UPS. -Rocky

So a part timer making $150 to $200 a week would also have to pay $400 a month?

#1angelfan

besides working for ups, i also work for an independent pharmacy. i see what people pay for there medicine everyday. we try and keep our prices low for the people. it is crazy what medicine costs. thank god for our insurance.

over9five

Staff member
"...UPS is lucky they have me as a employee!!!"

Glad you know that, DH, cuz no-one from management will ever tell you that!

UPS Lifer

I can tell you that at 52 I was considering packing it in. I did some homework on health insurance for my wife and I. It would have started at approx. $1200 a month and increased every year. If I lived until 85 and continued with supplemental insurance (Medicare kicks in at 65) I would have spent approx. $400,000 plus! This is why I waited until 55 to retire!!!

My 30 year old son pays $800 a month with a high deductable. He thought he broke his wrist snowboarding and went to emergency...He got an $800 bill WITH INSURANCE! I thought he was going to go through the roof!

satellitedriver

You could get cheaper and better coverage but the fact is you would be stuck in what ever health plan UPS picks...

There are better and there is worse.

We may not have the best but it is far better than what some end up with...
HUH?
How would I be stuck with what UPS picks?
I stated (implied) that, if I got the monthly amount of money that UPS gives CS, I could buy a better private policy than what is provided by CS.
You are correct, we could do worse.
How I don't know,with the amounts UPS gives CS.

leastbest

LeastBest
I've been off on a back injury for the past couple months. Basically physical therapy, playing the banjo and recovering.

I was lifting a package that was labeled as 30 lbs and it actually weighed 90 lbs. It happened during a production ride.