was fired from ups

Pip

At first thought, it just seems there is more to the story then is being told. Especially with peak just around the corner, when every available source is needed. It seems there had to be good grounds for this action to be taken. Anything is possible, but until all the facts are out in the open, it is just spectulation and hearsay at this point.

No disrespect implied to the original poster.

spidey

Anyone involved in a management/hourly sexual relationship is risking their job. Both of them. They knew it, because their is no way you can work for the company and not know it. If they had been honest at the get-go the company may have asked one of them to resign, transfered one to another center or department or asked them to terminate the relationship. When they lied, for whatever reason, they dug their own graves. Being gay had nothing to do with it, and may have even encouraged the company to provide some really positive solutions to the problem to avoid appearing judgemental. I think it was the terminated employees who handled it badly.

hoser

Industrial Slob
Has anyone ever been fired for being dishonest? A person I know was fired from UPS for dishonesty. This person had a meeting with higher management one week. This individual was asked questions about his/her personal life. This UPSer denied what they were asking for personal reasons. Another UPS er management was asked the same personal questions. The person also denied. 2weeks later both were brought back in for questioning. One stuck with his/her story the other was interviewed and was told that the other involved individual spilled his/her guts and told them everything. When in reality this UPSer did not. So hearing this trickery from Higher management the individual went along with it. He/she was tricked and fired right there on the spot. This idividual was forced to sign the resignation form. Was very upset not realizing what he/she was doing. Also was told to sign form saying he/she no longer wanted Union representation.
Is there any justice in this and is there anyone out that had this happen to them? Both individuals were terminated!
I don't believe this. You're omitting something, particularly what it is about their personal life they're being interviewed about. UPS doesn't allow their employees to date, for example, especially if one is below the other or is subject to promotion at the same level as the other.

But assuming this is true, this employee should talk to a lawyer, and let a lawyer handle everything as they're truly not intelligent enough to handle their own problems, as shown through their willingness to authorize waiving their union rights that they paid for every month.

Dutch Dawg

he was told if he did not sign the resignation form and it went to arbitration they would make sure that any new job he interviewed for, it would show he was fired for being dishonest. If he did sign it they would show she left UPS for personal reasons. He was having a romantic relation(ship) with another male supervisor. To protect there (their) privacy which most gay people due (do) they lied about there (their) relationship. ......

Aw heck....I fell like I must have missed at least two episodes of this SOAP. Could someone bring me up to speed. If this was a homosexual trist, who was the she referred to above? Or was this one of them there threesome thingys?

SDFBrownBlues

I dont understand something, I know that its against the rules to date inside of UPS. But you know that it happens and I have seen many..many mariages come out of UPS relationships. I have also seen people fired for not owning up to the relationship. So if a couple is having a relationship and they get caught if they come clean then one of them gets to keep their jobs? This is a very secret process but I know that it has happened, I have went to weddings of some of the people that it happened to and they like never talk about it, they just move on and continue to work... Signed Confused...:confused:1

R

rocketman

THE SITUATION WAS WRONG That they were in BUT if it was a union member who ratted he or she should be dealt with and if it was a stuipidvisor screw em now they have that much more work to do and they lost a good employee. not matter what they liked to do off the clock.a attorney. would be veryintrested.in this im sure. and peek has started delivered a xmass tree today.

spidey

. not matter what they liked to do off the clock.a attorney. would be veryintrested.in this im sure. and peek has started delivered a xmass tree today.

If you work for a company you agree to follow their policies. If they had fallen in love and gone to the company, or fessed up when the company asked, accomodations would have been made. One may have needed to change centers or positions, but it's done all the time. They broke the rules AND THEN LIED about it. THAT is the issue. And if what you do on your private time is against the policies of the company you work for you should find another job. If you want to smoke pot or use meth, you shouldn't be driving for a living. If you beat your wife or your children we don't want you. If you wish to have every friday off to build houses for the homeless you should work elsewhere, as the hours demanded of UPS full time employees are intrusive to one's private time. If you want to sleep with someone you work with go into politics or open your own business. IF YOU ARE CAUGHT IN A LIE AT UPS YOU WILL LOSE YOUR JOB. The company will forgive a lot, more than you can imagine, but not dishonesty.

spidey

But they USED dishonesty to catch them in a lie, and then fired them for dishonesty. IS THAT ETHICAL???

That was weeks after they were questioned the first time and LIED about it.

We also don't know that the other person in the relationship didn't spill the whole story. They may have told the truth and then lied about it to their partner. It's not as though we have all the facts on this incident.

We don't know what actually happened, but I've watched some of these. "We've talked to (other employee) and we know what's going on." Both of those are true.

"We are not having a relationship." NOT true.

I've seen people whose spouses were spoken to by the police and the perp will confess because the detective says "thanks for your help" or something like that to the spouse. People often make assumptions. You might want to assume that UPS was dishonest, we KNOW that both employees were dishonest. They had their chance, they chose to lie, for whatever reasons, knowing it could cost them their jobs. They made that choice.

Without knowing exactly what happened, and not one of us here can possibly know, it boils down to this; Did the company have grounds to fire them for dishonesty? Yes. They lied.

I'm willing to bet good money that their relationship, if still intact, is much healthier now that they are no longer employees of UPS. The stress and hours are relationship poison for too many people. I wish them the best.

upsfcsr

Weeeee.....my turn to chime in :w00t:

I do believe that one's personal life is none of the company's business. However, when you are having a personal relationship with someone in the company, regardless of rank, you set yourself up. If I were to put myself in either person's shoes, I would have to say the correct answer to the line of questioning was "My personal life has no bearing on the way that I do my job. I do not perform any illegal activities, nor have I in the past that would jepordize the integrity of our company", and stood by my answer. Also, any future job KNOWS there are always 3 sides to the story, yours, mine and the cold hard truth.

hoser

Industrial Slob
Other moral: Don't be gay.
:confused:1 The union should stand up and fight for respectable treatment of their gay members, because the employer is probably just as intolerant as the IBT. I know of many other unions which at least made a point of tolerance and the fact that gay people exist within the shop on their website.

Thank you! They were having a relationship. Union member and supervisor. They lied to protect there privacy not to get away with something. They do not even live together. I know it is not looked on as a good thing when a sup is with a union member but it usually the sup that gets in trouble not the union member. So they had to trick them into being dishonest to fire them.
What you see as a "trick", I see as "proper interrogation techniques". UPS is extremely strict on the supervisor-employee dating thing. During my orientation, that-and the no gambling with co-workers-was the only policy ever stated to us. When someone in power dates a subordinate, you're setting yourself up for trouble. Avoid it. But I've been in that kind of relationship, and we vowed to never acknowledge each other's presence as long as we were on the floor. It worked, until we broke up and she started gossiping about me.

Damn did this happen in Jacksonville? That person needs to contact an attorney. They can't ask personal questions and then fire you for them. Your friend needs to go to the local union not the reps in the HUB. Alot of the reps in the HUB are influenced by management.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I would say contact your union directly and review the whole story. If they can not help you there are many good lawyers.

rule #1 Dont bonk where you work

[ spidy]
I'm willing to bet good money that their relationship, if still intact, is much healthier now that they are no longer employees of UPS. The stress and hours are relationship poison for too many people. I wish them the best.

Rule #2 Who would want to marry someone that they work with? What ever would you talk about? It would be like brown cafe 24/7