Was/Is This Necessary?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
my point was not on the need for prayer or that we should pray for everyone. My point was that mr. Douglasses fame will get him more prayers where the guy sleeping next to the steam vent needs it more.

Excellent point tie ... now I understand and agree 100%.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
You definitely have some God issues. Ever tried talking to Him? Better still, ever tried listening to Him?

I think the last line was unwarranted. I see this all the time on the news, (ANY news). A person (of high or low standing) got pulled over today for speeding. The person received a ticket.

BTW, this person has also been arrested for shoplifting, disorderly conduct and not putting their shopping cart back in the corral.
Am I supposed to be biased against someone because of things they did in their past?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You definitely have some God issues. Ever tried talking to Him? Better still, ever tried listening to Him?

I think the last line was unwarranted. I see this all the time on the news, (ANY news). A person (of high or low standing) got pulled over today for speeding. The person received a ticket.

BTW, this person has also been arrested for shoplifting, disorderly conduct and not putting their shopping cart back in the corral.
Am I supposed to be biased against someone because of things they did in their past?

Steroids getting you a little worked up STUG?

bbsam

Staff member

Might I suggest that everytime you pray "The Lord's Prayer" you are listening to God? Almost as if the prayer is for the sake of the one praying, perhaps a way for the individual to become recentered as God's agent rather than the principal. Coming always in humble gratitude and knowledge that all is in God's hands even if the outcome is not as we would have it be.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I figure if there is a god he'll appreciate the fact that I lived a good life because I wanted to, not because I was scared that he would punish me if I didn't. Plus he'll already know the right thing to do without me nagging him all the time....

bbsam

Staff member
I figure if there is a god he'll appreciate the fact that I lived a good life because I wanted to, not because I was scared that he would punish me if I didn't. Plus he'll already know the right thing to do without me nagging him all the time....

That's a fascinating theological stance...for a third grader.:peaceful::happy-very: J/K

tieguy

Banned

Thats your second tack on this subject. Sounds like you need a good religion thread.

tieguy

Banned

I might have some god issues or just an opinion who knows. I do know the bible I have read does not support asking god to grant life saving intervention to those who have led a life of extravagence. I could be wrong though.

bbsam

Staff member
A statement like this is kind of like someone who says something degrading or mean about a person and then says sorry. Doesn't take away the degrading or mean.
Not really. I'm a fan of religious satire of all kinds. George Carlin, Father Guido, one of my favorite movies of all times is Kevin Smith's "Dogma". Whether the church, athiests, nominal Christians, Born Againers are being made fun of, I think it's wonderful. Perhaps the single richest topic for comics ever. Especially when people are overly sensitive about it. Remember the storm "Life of Brian" caused? Remember Mary? "Jesus? I'm not naming him Jesus! I'm naming him Brian!" and her greatest line in the movie, "You're drunk!"

bbsam

Staff member
And yes, I believe God finds religion to be an uproariously funny joke as well.
God to Noah: Noah.
Noah to God: What?!
God to Noah: How long can you tread water?

--Bill Cosby

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Here's another example. La la la, great story and then POW, the most pertinent information.

PHOENIX - Standup comic Robert Schimmel, a frequent guest on Howard Stern's radio show, has died after suffering serious injuries in a car accident. He was 60.
Schimmel's spokesman, Howard Bragman, said Schimmel died Friday evening in a Phoenix hospital.
Schimmel was a passenger Aug. 26 in a car driven by his 19-year-old daughter Aliyah. Bragman said Aliyah Schimmel swerved to avoid another car and the vehicle she was driving rolled to the side of the freeway. Bragman said she is hospitalized in stable condition.
Robert Schimmel lived in Scottsdale. The 60-year-old comedian has been a frequent guest on "Late Night with Conan O'Brien" and on Howard Stern's radio show. His 2008 memoir, "Cancer on $5 a Day," chronicles his battle with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.
Schimmel starred in a Fox sitcom that was picked up in 2000 but had to be canceled after he learned he had cancer and needed to begin chemotherapy immediately, according to his website.
The site says Schimmel more recently had a Showtime special called "Life Since Then" and was integrating his life's experiences with comedy to not only make audiences laugh but raise cancer awareness and hope.
The site also says the comedian learned a lot about "life, attitude and laughter" following his cancer fight and the loss of a child. He also had two failed marriages.

diesel96

Some people say here, why pray as much for the privledged Micheal Douglas, when the begger man on the street corner needs it worse..... Uhmm .....if only we can turn our prayers into politics......redistributing prayers is easy, it's just words. However tell the same "some people" to redistribute a small percentage of their wealth instead of prayers to the needy, and they flip out. After all, if you read the Bible, there are nearly 100 passages reaching out to help the needy and not to close your eyes on them.

"Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy."
-Proverbs 31:8-9
"He who oppresses the poor to increase his wealth and he who gives gifts to the rich--both come to poverty."
-Proverbs 22:16
According to Ezekiel 16:49, Sodom also failed to help the poor and needy. This can also be viewed in a national sense, but I think it applies better to the church. Unfortunately in this matter the two can be linked rather closely. Christians in the U.S. are notorious for focusing on “moral” issues like abortion and homosexual (lack of) rights to marriage, while virtually ignoring social issues and the poor. Just for the record, Christian Charities do great work, it's just not nearly enough....Food for thought...

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Just got back from a funeral today and the pastor mentioned that the deceased man and his wife (my cousin) were divorced from their first spouses and he was proud to have them in their church and proud to be conducting the services.
I thought of STUG and this thread.
The rest of the eulogy was all complimentary and you could tell he was sincere in his praise.
Didn't bother me and when I brought it up to my wife and my cousin Ben and his wife, they did not even notice.
I'm wondering what STUG has done to me ... hopefully I'll get over this and not notice these type of "unnecessary" inferences in the future.
I want my state of ignorance back! :wink2:

bbsam

Staff member
Some people say here, why pray as much for the privledged Micheal Douglas, when the begger man on the street corner needs it worse..... Uhmm .....if only we can turn our prayers into politics......redistributing prayers is easy, it's just words. However tell the same "some people" to redistribute a small percentage of their wealth instead of prayers to the needy, and they flip out. After all, if you read the Bible, there are nearly 100 passages reaching out to help the needy and not to close your eyes on them.

"Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy."
-Proverbs 31:8-9
"He who oppresses the poor to increase his wealth and he who gives gifts to the rich--both come to poverty."
-Proverbs 22:16
According to Ezekiel 16:49, Sodom also failed to help the poor and needy. This can also be viewed in a national sense, but I think it applies better to the church. Unfortunately in this matter the two can be linked rather closely. Christians in the U.S. are notorious for focusing on “moral” issues like abortion and homosexual (lack of) rights to marriage, while virtually ignoring social issues and the poor. Just for the record, Christian Charities do great work, it's just not nearly enough....Food for thought...
Who, pray tell, is in such a position to determine who needs prayer more? The beggar or the pharissee? The Samaritan or the Saducee? The alchohlic or the cancer patient? The bum or the Hollywood star?