Was/Is This Necessary?

tieguy

Banned
Some people say here, why pray as much for the privledged Micheal Douglas, when the begger man on the street corner needs it worse..... Uhmm .....if only we can turn our prayers into politics......redistributing prayers is easy, it's just words. However tell the same "some people" to redistribute a small percentage of their wealth instead of prayers to the needy, and they flip out. After all, if you read the Bible, there are nearly 100 passages reaching out to help the needy and not to close your eyes on them.

"Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy."
-Proverbs 31:8-9
"He who oppresses the poor to increase his wealth and he who gives gifts to the rich--both come to poverty."
-Proverbs 22:16
According to Ezekiel 16:49, Sodom also failed to help the poor and needy. This can also be viewed in a national sense, but I think it applies better to the church. Unfortunately in this matter the two can be linked rather closely. Christians in the U.S. are notorious for focusing on “moral” issues like abortion and homosexual (lack of) rights to marriage, while virtually ignoring social issues and the poor. Just for the record, Christian Charities do great work, it's just not nearly enough....Food for thought...

Redistribution? who said anything about redistribution other then you?

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Just got back from a funeral today and the pastor mentioned that the deceased man and his wife (my cousin) were divorced from their first spouses and he was proud to have them in their church and proud to be conducting the services.
I thought of STUG and this thread.
The rest of the eulogy was all complimentary and you could tell he was sincere in his praise.
Didn't bother me and when I brought it up to my wife and my cousin Ben and his wife, they did not even notice.
I'm wondering what STUG has done to me ... hopefully I'll get over this and not notice these type of "unnecessary" inferences in the future.
I want my state of ignorance back! :wink2:
I'm so glad that I made you think. You, in turn, have made me think by what you have said in your posts, as well.

P

pickup

Look at this article :

A Bayonne deli was robbed at gunpoint yesterday afternoon by a man who got away with about $100, officials said.

A police officer was flagged down at 3:05 p.m. and told there was a man with a gun in the Broadway Deli and Grocery on Broadway at 15th Street, said Bayonne Police Chief Robert Kubert.

When the officer entered the store he saw the 25-year-old clerk leaning on the counter, reports said, adding that he told the policeman a man with a gun came in and said "Give me whatever you have."

The robber cleaned out the register and told the clerk to walk to the back of the store, reports said, adding that when he reached the back and turned, the gunman was gone.

The robber was described as being about 25 years old, 5-foot-9, and about 155 pounds, reports said, adding the he wore a dark hooded sweatshirt and dark pants.

Anyone with information on the crime is asked to call Bayonne police at (201) 877 - TIPS.

Now , unlike stug's article, instead of adding something unnecessary , they left out an important part of the suspect's description, like , I don't know the skin color perhaps. Why oh, why are they leaving that part out? Would a minority be offended if they included that part of the description?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Look at this article :

A Bayonne deli was robbed at gunpoint yesterday afternoon by a man who got away with about $100, officials said.

A police officer was flagged down at 3:05 p.m. and told there was a man with a gun in the Broadway Deli and Grocery on Broadway at 15th Street, said Bayonne Police Chief Robert Kubert.

When the officer entered the store he saw the 25-year-old clerk leaning on the counter, reports said, adding that he told the policeman a man with a gun came in and said "Give me whatever you have."

The robber cleaned out the register and told the clerk to walk to the back of the store, reports said, adding that when he reached the back and turned, the gunman was gone.

The robber was described as being about 25 years old, 5-foot-9, and about 155 pounds, reports said, adding the he wore a dark hooded sweatshirt and dark pants.

Anyone with information on the crime is asked to call Bayonne police at (201) 877 - TIPS.

Now , unlike stug's article, instead of adding something unnecessary , they left out an important part of the suspect's description, like , I don't know the skin color perhaps. Why oh, why are they leaving that part out?

I guess it was not necessary

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Look at this article :

Now , unlike stug's article, instead of adding something unnecessary , they left out an important part of the suspect's description, like , I don't know the skin color perhaps. Why oh, why are they leaving that part out? Would a minority be offended if they included that part of the description?
The other side of the coin.

P

pickup

The other side of the coin.

Here is more of the other side of the coin . I wrote this e-mail to a reporter of a story that I read quite a few months ago. A mexican living in America raped and physically assaulted a Woman who was living in the united states for many years (she came from China) and just finished school. I sent this email to the reporter:

Mr. XXXXXX:

I just read your article about the Mexican , Mr. Cruz, raping that woman. I find it odd that you took the time to explain the victim's immigration status but failed to explore Mr. Cruz's status. I think it would be of great interest to the readers to know if this man is in this country legally or not ( my money is on "not"). As for him not having a criminal record, he has only been in this country two years. I wonder if he got one in his home country.

Sincerely,

John Q. Public Library

--------------

anyway that was my email , the woman ended up dying a few days later as a result of the beating she took. I noticed a lot of printed stories involving what are clearly illegals commiting crimes are omitting the fact that they are illegal.

bbsam

Staff member
Of course minorities wouldn't be offended. We're only offended when the mother of children claim "a person of color" car jacked her with the children in the vehicle and days later the vehicle is pulled from the swamp with the children still buckled in. Oh, and that "person of color" part and the car jacking? All made up. Maybe when the skin color is left out the assumption is that he is white. Or does that offend white people?