waxing chutes??

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I would think that waxing would be a delicate procedure. I fell on mine and got six stitches when I fell on top of my DeWalt Compound Miter Saw that UPS awarded me for driving or showing up for work for so long. The worse part of my injury is pulling that surgical tape off my rear twice a day changing the dressing. I never knew butt skin was so sensitive!

If chester is referring to slides instead of chutes, we have always used a silicon spray at work. Wet packages don't slide so well on metal slides, I wonder if nylon would be better. We need an expert Plant Engineer for this topic. wkmac?, where are you!

wkmac

Scratch and Over,You guys keep it up and this thread will go from cut cracks to sniffin' cracks!LOL!

pe_gal

The "chute wax" provided works best when applied so that it can be completely dry before operations. Most folks make the mistake of spraying it on at the start of the operation - all that does is transfer it onto the boxes and conveyors.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
The "chute wax" provided works best when applied so that it can be completely dry before operations. Most folks make the mistake of spraying it on at the start of the operation - all that does is transfer it onto the boxes and conveyors.

I remember PE supplying operations with a paste wax back in the 70's. After the hub was moved out of our center there was no need for wax in the metro area(all straight line belt). When the business grew in the 80's and they started using another belt for air and more trips then spray cans of furniture polish was used on the slides and transfer plates.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
I remember PE supplying operations with a paste wax back in the 70's.

This was what my first hub used.

In answer to the poster's question, wax the h*ll out of the chute. I actually had complaints about using too MUCH wax. This was in the Chicago area, in July (very humid) lol. -Rocky

I

ITS A DRY HEAT

As a pickoff in the 90's in Arizona, everything stuck to the slides, chutes, you name it. The wax in our building was like gold. You would have to look all over the building to find it. We substituted BAKERS WAX. This went on like a crayon and once the packages buffed it out we had no problems.

One word of advise though, if you do decide to use anything besides what is supplied -- Bakers wax, Pledge, etc. you will be asked to have an MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet). If Ketter or OSHA come in and they catch it, it could be a fine.

barnyard

KTM rider
Spay silicone works even better than wax. Spray on at the end of the day so it has a chance to dry. Boaters use the same stuff on bunk style trailers.

TB

P

PE_Guy

You can use a product called Chute Lube by CRC industries. It is available through Grainger. Make sure it is applied at least 30 minutes prior to the start of the sort so that it can dry.

U

Under9five

Two things work much better, but you will need to get MSDS on both. It is the same stuff you put on your tires and dashboards in your vehicles. Armor All works great, but Black Magic is the best. Far better than the QuickFill wax.

chester farmer

I used black magic last night. awesome. it worked very well. However there was a very potent smell for about 2 hours after I put it on. Thank goodness I did it at lunch time when there was no day shift. This gave the smell time to leave before twi shift.

SoyFish

Ehhhh the sup sprayed the chute with a "pledge" smelling substance...while the packages were flowing, so the boxes got the liquid on the bottom, thus getting it on my hands causeing my to "drop" a few packages due to slippage out of my handage.

LKLND3380

other then the wax provided by ups which seems to not work when it is hot does anybody know of any that works better and lasts longer??

We have a wax that is a milky white wax that is cut with water and put in a spray bottle... They try to spray down the chutes before start and around break time... We spray it in the middle of the sort as well... Boxes come down wet but a small price to pay I guess...

thebrownbox

Ehhhh the sup sprayed the chute with a "pledge" smelling substance...while the packages were flowing, so the boxes got the liquid on the bottom, thus getting it on my hands causeing my to "drop" a few packages due to slippage out of my handage.

They have the same smelling wax they spray it's a white milky looking spray and if the packages start getting stuck they start spraying..

I hate when its on the packages for the reasons you describe.