Ways To Work For Yourself After Retirement?

satellitedriver

Thanks....Easy tax free $$$$
Tax free?
Come on man, pay your fair share.
YOURMAMMACARE, needs your tax dollars.
Pays your dues, so the government can give you back some of your money.
BTW, the IRS monitors all bank transactions so maybe you are not flying under the radar.
When they say "pay back is hell" they are talking about the IRS making you "payback" with penalties and interest.

satellitedriver

For the most part (90%) of the buys are for older bikes mostly in the 5-7k range although we have made some larger buys....why should I report any $$$ when I go buy a bike and make a couple hundrd bucks? or go trim someones tree for the same amount, or do some inside painting for cash...Would You?
Yes, I would.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

My dad does this full time, but he is a independent freight broker for a trucking company. They set you up on their system, but you do the rest from there. It's wicked easy, I used do it as a summer job. You literally just need a phone and a computer. You find loads on websites like getloaded.com and plug them into the computer. It sends a texts to drivers offering it. If they want it, they call you, you call the company, and get the info. You then e-mail the drivers the info. Check in for 2 minutes everyday. And when they deliver it you're done. It's a 6-10% commission based on the type of load.

It's nice. You don't work for the company, so the time you put in is all up to you. All of the billing and financial stuff is done by the carrier. I remember days off from school when I'd wake up at 10 and my dad would already have 1500 in commission down.

satellitedriver

The IRS monitors transactions $10K or higher.
Sorry to disappoint you, IRS requires banks to report transactions over $5,000.00 now.
The key word you used was "monitors".
By law, banks have to "report" the amounts based on the old format of trying to track drug cash.
Now, the IRS is the enforcer of collecting and paying for "YOURMOMMACARE".
All money now is electronic.
Every dollar deposited in your bank, 401K, stock portfolio is , and can be, scrutinized by the IRS.
Money now is just electronic binary codes.
All the union people say pay your dues, I say pay your taxes.

satellitedriver

Before you retired!
Yep,
Safe driving came with the cost of actually obeying the law.
I did not make the "Circle of Honor" 25 year safe driver by thinking my job was more important than the law and safety of everyone else on the road.
I was cursed in my youth, by being an Altar boy, Boy Scout and believing those adults that taught me values.
Too old to change now, so I still obey the rules of the road.

The Milkman

They also look out for multiple transactions just under 10k to watch for money laundering.

I am aware of that. Most of the time I take maybe 3-4 k..Keep in my safe. Then withdraw a few more k if needed..Most of the buys are 4-5 k...maybe 4 times over the last 5 yrs have I spent more than 10k and I have no need to withdraw large amounts in succession to make that happen..with the exchange rate now taking a dive for their dollar we have to make smart small cheap buys.....

Packmule

I've thought about turning my woodworking hobby into a little side money. Not making bandsaw art, but things people actually use. Like captain's beds for kids, my toilet paper hanger/magazine rack.
Build a few and take them to craft and home shows.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My son in law and his friends have a maple syrup "business" which is really more of a hobby than an actual business. I am hoping to become involved upon retirement and help to take this business to the next level.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I've thought about turning my woodworking hobby into a little side money. Not making bandsaw art, but things people actually use. Like captain's beds for kids, my toilet paper hanger/magazine rack.
Build a few and take them to craft and home shows.
I used to cut out turtles and bunnies and other stuff out of 2 inch wood and have a big hole where the belly is. then use plexiglass to cover the hole and cut an opening on top as a savings bank. sand and stain all different colors.

brought some samples to work and got orders for 40. it turned out not to be fun cause felt like I was working on an assembly line.

if I were to do it again I would make very high end projects so I only had to make a couple a week.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I've thought about turning my woodworking hobby into a little side money
Packmule, I used to make coolers out of old cedar fence. There are oodles of stuff you can make with the old fence, from birdhouses to potting tables. The good thing is the materials are free. I made friends via email with a couple of fence companies, and they would let me come by and get all I wanted, or you can find free fence wood on craig's list as well. I was kind of like olroadbeech. I made about 20 of them, sold them for $175-150, and sold them as soon as I made them. It got to be like a job, so I quit for a while, even though people were asking for them. When I was rockin and rollin I could make 1 per day without getting in a hurry. That's 5-600$ a week working out of the garage if I wanted to stay that busy. Luckily, I've gotten really lazy in my old age. lol.

Areyoukiddinme

best 2 weeks ever
i was making wine barrel furniture, swings, coat racks and the like and sold them at craft shows also my wife sews bbq aprons and many other things, but we moved into a condo for a few months we are now in our new house so we will be gearing up for the spring. its not a lot on money but we like it