We are not ready!!!

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Its like ground hog day here,.... Let me fill you special people in n on a few facts.... Peak is a service test that we used to pass but now thanks to laziness and the internet shopping we are doomed to fail. Really there is no existing infrastructure that could handle the new Christmas shopping way the internet... Every carrier × 10 could not handle what is coming... Go stupid holidays and capitalism!!!!!!!

There is only so much UPS can do when volume skyrockets 400% for 1 1/2 months.
Building UPS facilities or expanding would have to make sense for the rest of the year.
It's like one of those pop-up calendar shops at the mall buying an empty JCPennys, it will bleed you.

Missed packages, damages, and time-committed service failures will seal our fate when it brings opportunity to new shippers.
Sadly, when Amazon starts it's delivery service, you will think back to those golden years when UPS had it all.

iowa boy

I hope they have a better Plan B.

Personally, I don't think they have a plan at all. I think their original plan went up in smoke sometime between 1 and 3 am Monday morning. Now the company is gonna do what has happened every other peak...panic and tell us drivers we all suck.

ups1990

The reality has set in that this peak season and for the foreseeable future that "peak" will not be attainable for UPS. The company as a whole cannot and will not reach a peak anymore. No pencil pusher can predict when Joe Blow will make a purchase on his iphone6.

A decision will have to be made whether to stay the course and have the national infrastructure in place simply overrun with the staggering amount of parcels coming in or build for the future by increasing the overall capacity of the network.

It looks more and more likely that UPS will have to cut shippers short. When will the cut off be? Will the threat also apply to Amazon? If they charge a premium fee for late volume will it be delivered at the expense of ground packages already in the system? If so, then the public will have a bigger gripe that last year.

I for one find all this fascinating! We are working in a historic time at UPS.

watdaflock?

Building UPS facilities or expanding would have to make sense for the rest of the year.
This. It would be stupid as a company to expand just so things ran more smoothly for one month out of 12.

"Deal with the madness the best we can" should be the UPS peak season motto because "we are ready" is nonsense.