We have to change the way they think of the hourly employee.

hypo hanna

Oh they can try to increase the turnover rate but they are having a hard time already finding people smart enough who are willing to do that kind of work for that kind of pay.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Got to start somewhere. Remember best practices? I don't think it's in their vocabulary now. They know it slows us down. Try using them and go by the book. I know my route can't be done that way and get back in time. When they hit you up about your numbers just tell them you are using best practices and they can give you a check ride . Then watch them squirm.

I've ALWAYS advocated using CBP in this forum. ALWAYS. If it's something you shouldn't do on a checkride, it's something you shouldn't do, period. Only a fool does otherwise.

bbsam

Staff member
Oh they can try to increase the turnover rate but they are having a hard time already finding people smart enough who are willing to do that kind of work for that kind of pay.

Not really. If Ground can find them, so can Express.

vantexan

Public will show little empathy towards the cause. For one, people making 20,000 a year or less and the unemployed will think employees are crying about nothing. Second, the public is still willing to by blood diamonds and child labor produced products for a price. Employees are on their own so the only reprise is to do the bare minimum nothing more.

Public buys a blood diamond, they've got a diamond. Let the public know that FedEx employees are slowing down in protest, they know they are getting crappy service for alot of money. Public holds back on using FedEx out of concern for their pkgs, or uses other service, FedEx loses money. Even if every employee still does everything right to cover himself, public perception is that it's too risky to use FedEx as FedEx employees are protesting. Misinformation campaign that would work if national media picks up on a National Slowdown Day(or better yet week) at FedEx. And just maybe the IBT will take notice of major unrest, especially if we tell media we are doing this because we aren't getting support from IBT.

hypo hanna

Public will show little empathy towards the cause. For one, people making 20,000 a year or less and the unemployed will think employees are crying about nothing. Second, the public is still willing to by blood diamonds and child labor produced products for a price. Employees are on their own so the only reprise is to do the bare minimum nothing more.

Debeers changed the way they and just about everyone else in the diamond business handled diamonds as a direct result of the issue of blood diamonds. It's called the Kimberly Process and it has done a lot to reduce the amount of conflict diamonds on the market. DeBeers is the dominant player in the diamond market and what they say becomes industry standard. When they saw demand for diamonds plummet, they made changes.

MAKAVELI

Got to start somewhere. Remember best practices? I don't think it's in their vocabulary now. They know it slows us down. Try using them and go by the book. I know my route can't be done that way and get back in time. When they hit you up about your numbers just tell them you are using best practices and they can give you a check ride . Then watch them squirm.

I've ALWAYS advocated using CBP in this forum. ALWAYS. If it's something you shouldn't do on a checkride, it's something you shouldn't do, period. Only a fool does otherwise.

The fact is if every driver used cbp, service would go down, on road hours up, and FedEx knows this. That is why it is never mentioned anymore. It's all about route efficiency and they could care less how you do it. This is where we can disrupt their increase in profit plan.

DontThrowPackages

I like it. Some guys were driving with letters in the truck, getting off about 7 or 8 stops without having to open the bulkhead door saving time I.E. more productive. Not only are they beginning to go by the book, no longer releasing packages as they walk to the door but actually knocking the door waiting for a signure, managers have begun telling some drivers their numbers are slipping. To the manager, if you're not going to give me a check ride then I don't know what to tell you. I'm doing my best....policy best that is. I think accidents will begin to go down as by product of the new delivery attitude which is good for the public.

59 Dano

The fact is if every driver used cbp, service would go down, on road hours up, and FedEx knows this. That is why it is never mentioned anymore. It's all about route efficiency and they could care less how you do it. This is where we can disrupt their increase in profit plan.

That couldn't be further from the truth. If every courier used CBP, route boundaries would be more accurate, staffing issues would be better addressed, onroad goals would be more realistic, injury rates would go down, and accidents would drop. A manager that doesn't stress CBP needs to have his butt fired. Problems arise when managers don't focus on CBP and couriers don't use them. Engineers and seniors see this alleged increase in productivity and they start screwing with things to the point that the station can't make its goals using CBP, people get hurt, etc.

If a station is in such a state that CBP would create the drag on operations that you're talking about, then there needs to be some heads rolling at that station.

59 Dano

I like it. Some guys were driving with letters in the truck, getting off about 7 or 8 stops without having to open the bulkhead door saving time I.E. more productive.

And those gains in productivity are wiped out when he finally goes back into the cargo area of the truck and sees the letter or pkg that should have been delivered between stops 4 and 5 and he has to spend 10 minutes to backtrack. Seen it a million times. Or even better, he does that most of the time, gets a checkride, and his productivity falls by 10% or more and he can't remember what his next stop is because he's so used to having freight in front with him.

59 Dano

Public buys a blood diamond, they've got a diamond. Let the public know that FedEx employees are slowing down in protest, they know they are getting crappy service for alot of money. Public holds back on using FedEx out of concern for their pkgs, or uses other service, FedEx loses money. Even if every employee still does everything right to cover himself, public perception is that it's too risky to use FedEx as FedEx employees are protesting. Misinformation campaign that would work if national media picks up on a National Slowdown Day(or better yet week) at FedEx. And just maybe the IBT will take notice of major unrest, especially if we tell media we are doing this because we aren't getting support from IBT.

What do we do about the couriers who lose their jobs when customers switch to UPS and don't come back? They need their paychecks just like the rest of us.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
What do we do about the couriers who lose their jobs when customers switch to UPS and don't come back? They need their paychecks just like the rest of us.

Not going to happen. There are lots of people leaving already, making for short-staffed stations in many locations. FedEx is going to have real problems attracting and maintaining decent workers.

bbsam

Staff member
Not going to happen. There are lots of people leaving already, making for short-staffed stations in many locations. FedEx is going to have real problems attracting and maintaining decent workers.

No they won't. They will increase pay and benefits and then begin the long slow process of take sways again.

DontThrowPackages

You realize if the amount of customers goes down so will the numbers of couriers needed to provide service right? The company has right sized the driver workforce and they need the people they have. But if you start scaring away customers then they will go to the other guys and then what will happen to your precious stock you hold so dear?
Do the bare minimum. Follow their book as it pertains to delivering a package. We all know we're much more productive doing it our way than what some guy in a cube decided what the correct way is to deliver a box. Don't screw the customer. Take a page from the mechanics and pilots and do the bare minimum. Safety first above all. Speed limit 35? Go 30 just to be on the safe side. Need to make a left turn. Make 3 right turns instead. Loading dock? park in the street and use the dolly to get it off. Who cares if it takes 10 trips. If you back into that dock and someone hits you, is that not a preventable? Always ask the customer for help with a package over 75lbs. If they can't,tell them you'll be back later. Maybe call dispatch to see if a manager can come out and help. Their is so much more that can be done to insure safety and proper practice. Just take the time to do it.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Hide and watch. That kind of stunt won't go unpunished.

What is "hide and watch"? Slowing-down, as I and others have detailed, absolutely does work....very well. How can I be punished for following their own policies and procedures? You need to go back to Flak School.

59 Dano

What is "hide and watch"? Slowing-down, as I and others have detailed, absolutely does work....very well. How can I be punished for following their own policies and procedures? You need to go back to Flak School.

LOL! It works? What have you accomplished? LOL!!

thedownhillEXPRESS

It is working.

Moral is as low as ever, and more are joining the bare minimum crowd every day.

This forum has spread like a wildfire across the company, and the thread views prove it.

vantexan

You realize if the amount of customers goes down so will the numbers of couriers needed to provide service right? The company has right sized the driver workforce and they need the people they have. But if you start scaring away customers then they will go to the other guys and then what will happen to your precious stock you hold so dear?
Do the bare minimum. Follow their book as it pertains to delivering a package. We all know we're much more productive doing it our way than what some guy in a cube decided what the correct way is to deliver a box. Don't screw the customer. Take a page from the mechanics and pilots and do the bare minimum. Safety first above all. Speed limit 35? Go 30 just to be on the safe side. Need to make a left turn. Make 3 right turns instead. Loading dock? park in the street and use the dolly to get it off. Who cares if it takes 10 trips. If you back into that dock and someone hits you, is that not a preventable? Always ask the customer for help with a package over 75lbs. If they can't,tell them you'll be back later. Maybe call dispatch to see if a manager can come out and help. Their is so much more that can be done to insure safety and proper practice. Just take the time to do it.

First off who says I hold the stock so dear? And what you are saying to do is exactly what I'm suggesting. Problem is getting the word out to other couriers without jeopardizing ourselves. If the public is told by the media that on such and such date FedEx couriers are going to slow way down in protest then other couriers will be informed to do so, not to mention panic the hell out of management. They've gone to the well way too many times as it is, time has come to fight back. We're tired of just taking it. Heck, just get the word out to follow CBP as MFE says. Follow it religiously, don't work on your breaks, don't speed, move at a safe pace. This isn't a $20k a year job, and it's time they stop trying to make it so.