UPS tells customers they begin training management today on how to keep packages moving during a strike

HarryWarden

Bad for us , bad for the Company… terrible for the economy…

Ain’t happening…despite what some are saying about “replacement workers”.

If you study the history of those who are expounding fear you will find out that most of them are management. Why they suddenly re appear and start posting just before a Contract is their issue,
Why is ups waiting so long and flying management out to different states in case of a strike then? I really hope you’re right though

HarryWarden

It's a very expensive chest match
So they’re just hoping O’Brien backs down last minute? It is very possible I’m the naive one, but to me, on the surface, it seems like O’Brien is almost excited for a strike. I just don’t see what ups gains by waiting so long. And I feel like the longer they wait, the more it looks like they’re forced to give these demands and less that they’re giving it, and that only strengthens it

I feel like there’s something here I’m not seeing.

You have more experience than me, do you think ups will back down last minute and concede?

Thebrownblob

So they’re just hoping O’Brien backs down last minute? It is very possible I’m the naive one, but to me, on the surface, it seems like O’Brien is almost excited for a strike. I just don’t see what ups gains by waiting so long. And I feel like the longer they wait, the more it looks like they’re forced to give these demands and less that they’re giving it, and that only strengthens it

I feel like there’s something here I’m not seeing.

You have more experience than me, do you think ups will back down last minute and concede?
He’s been listening to you tell him to get you up to $35 an hour. Isn’t that what you want? and deserve? You might have to fight for it. Are you ready?

HarryWarden

He’s been listening to you tell him to get you up to $35 an hour. Isn’t that what you want? and deserve? You might have to fight for it. Are you ready?

i think you’re missing my point. I’m just trying to learn UPS strategy here. I think everyone assumes we just strike for a week or 2 and we get what we want. Of course I will strike if asked, but I don’t understand ups plan

They know what happened in 97, I have a hard time believing they are just going to strike for a couple weeks, lose billions, then cave.

So either they’re going to cave last minute, or do they expect and plan for this to last for a long, long time?

I hope that makes sense

Thebrownblob

i think you’re missing my point. I’m just trying to learn UPS strategy here. I think everyone assumes we just strike for a week or 2 and we get what we want. Of course I will strike if asked, but I don’t understand ups plan

They know what happened in 97, I have a hard time believing they are just going to strike for a couple weeks, lose billions, then cave.

So either they’re going to cave last minute, or do they expect and plan for this to last for a long, long time?

I hope that makes sense
No, I think you’re missing my point. You’re the one who’s been on here battling people about your worth I’m not questioning your worth. I am questioning your desire to fight for it.

Strategy? It’s not a game this is peoples livelihood, and if you believe in something you fight for it. None of us know his strategy for sure maybe his strategy is just that get you the biggest raise possible. Maybe the only way the company will do that is for us to walk off the job for many weeks again I ask you are you prepared to do that? In 1997 I thought my worth was being full-time I was willing to sit out for it. I didn’t just think it would be “nice” to be full-time and make top skill. I and believe hi, and my brothers and sisters that was worth it.

Last edited:

HarryWarden

No, I think you’re missing my point. You’re the one who’s been on here battling people about your worth I’m not questioning your worth. I am questioning your desire to fight for it.

Strategy? It’s not a game this is peoples livelihood, and if you believe in something you fight for it. None of us know his strategy for sure maybe his strategy is just that get you the biggest raise possible. Maybe the only way the company will do that is for us to walk off the job for many weeks again I ask you are you prepared to do that? In 1997 I thought my worth was being full-time I was willing to sit out for it.
Man, I’m just asking questions. I’ve said I would never scab. I’ve said anyone that scabs should be fired. Were you not nervous when you went on strike the first time? Did you not ask questions?

And clearly you did miss my point, I’m not asking about Sean’s strategy, he has been very clear and doing a great job, I’m asking about the companies strategy

A lot of people like you just assuming we strike for 2 weeks and we’ll get it, I’m saying what would be UPS strategy in that? They saw what happened in 97, it lost them tons of money, why would they repeat that?

That’s why I’m wondering if maybe they will give in last minute before the deadline, or if they plan on doing this much longer than 2 weeks, I just don’t see a a middle ground to those choices and I was wondering what others think

Thebrownblob

Man, I’m just asking questions. I’ve said I would never scab. I’ve said anyone that scabs should be fired. Were you not nervous when you went on strike the first time? Did you not ask questions?

And clearly you did miss my point, I’m not asking about Sean’s strategy, he has been very clear and doing a great job, I’m asking about the companies strategy

A lot of people like you just assuming we strike for 2 weeks and we’ll get it, I’m saying what would be UPS strategy in that? They saw what happened in 97, it lost them tons of money, why would they repeat that?

That’s why I’m wondering if maybe they will give in last minute before the deadline, or if they plan on doing this much longer than 2 weeks, I just don’t see a a middle ground to those choices and I was wondering what others think
Who said I assume we strike for two weeks? I’m telling you that I think Sean is ready to have us sit out as long as necessary. And the company doesn’t appear to be willing to give in. Your question seems to signify you’re looking for a white knight to save you from something you are afraid of. Don’t count on it, only count on walking that picket line to get what you’re worth at this point because the company doesn’t think you’re worth it.

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
You pay temp-high scab wages. The object is putting pressure on the union to settle. Every passing day the company seems to be moving on without you puts more and more pressure on the strikers.

That's my concern, that the company has some sort of contingency plan that the Teamsters won't see coming. Sean O'Brien is trying to talk tough but I'm concerned he's talked himself into a corner and wants a strike to prove a point. He's trying to cement his tenure as IBT President and as the anti-Hoffa.

There's a lot of people's livelihoods at stake and we know the Ivory Tower doesn't give two :censored2:s about what happens to us.

HarryWarden

That's my concern, that the company has some sort of contingency plan that the Teamsters won't see coming. Sean O'Brien is trying to talk tough but I'm concerned he's talked himself into a corner and wants a strike to prove a point. He's trying to cement his tenure as IBT President and as the anti-Hoffa.

There's a lot of people's livelihoods at stake and we know the Ivory Tower doesn't give two :censored2:s about what happens to us.
I’ve been wondering the same thing. I will absolutely strike, but I just can not understand ups game plan

Lots of people just assume we’re going to strike for 2 weeks and ups caves. There aren’t rules to this though. It’s not guaranteed to be a repeat of 97, why would ups do that to themselves?

I wonder if they have something up their sleeve I’m not thinking of, or they will back down last minute (but why cause so much fear and uncertainty with customers) or they plan to draw this strike out for a long time

specter208

What are possible Union plans in case of a strike? Hold out for 2-3 weeks and then profit? What if company renegs on current TAs?

MIX_MASTER_ICE

Cold As Ice, Willing To Sacrifice
Ah,no. One week then you are on your own.
Quote- "During a strike, TeamCare, which covers about half of UPS FT Teamsters and nearly all PT Teamsters, will cover H&W at no cost. Other fund policies vary, ask your fund or local union." I guess it varies by district, but I'm covered through TeamCare. No snake charming the COBRA for me. 😯

Attachments

• cobra.gif
    cobra.gif
    2.3 MB · Views: 34

HarryWarden

Who said I assume we strike for two weeks? I’m telling you that I think Sean is ready to have us sit out as long as necessary. And the company doesn’t appear to be willing to give in. Your question seems to signify you’re looking for a white knight to save you from something you are afraid of. Don’t count on it, only count on walking that picket line to get what you’re worth at this point because the company doesn’t think you’re worth it.
You keep attacking , I’m not”asking for a white knight” I’m trying to understand ups strategy

Like you said, Sean has us sit out as long as necessary, ups doesn’t appear to plan to cave, so what is the strategy for them?

You don’t need to get all pissy for asking question, I’m just asking for your guys opinions

Do you think ups is thinking “let’s just see how long we can milk this for, maybe we can get away with the temporary workers longer than they can hold out” and they plan on outlasting us, or do you think they are playing chicken and will back down on the 31st?

Im just asking :censored2:ing questions lol

Thebrownblob

You keep attacking , I’m not”asking for a white knight” I’m trying to understand ups strategy

Like you said, Sean has us sit out as long as necessary, ups doesn’t appear to plan to cave, so what is the strategy for them?

You don’t need to get all pissy for asking question, I’m just asking for your guys opinions

Do you think ups is thinking “let’s just see how long we can milk this for, maybe we can get away with the temporary workers longer than they can hold out” and they plan on outlasting us, or do you think they are playing chicken and will back down on the 31st?

Who is attacking you? I give you a big boy answer to a big boy problem, quit being a crybaby, you’re asking idiot questions that nobody knows the answer to.
You spent the last week and a half telling everybody how you deserve this, you deserve that, Fine get your ass ready to get on that picket line. And fight for it.

HarryWarden

Who is attacking you? I give you a big boy answer to a big boy problem, quit being a crybaby, you’re asking idiot questions that nobody knows the answer to.
You spent the last week and a half telling everybody how you deserve this, you deserve that, get your ass ready to get on that picket line. And fight for it.

And so because I said I deserved a raise I’m not allowed to question how this will play out?

No :censored2: I’m gonna be on the picket line and fighting for it, I’m just asking fellow workers, on the ups forum, during the contract negotiations, how they think this will play out and what their opinions are on ups strategy. People who have been through this before and have more experience and insight than me

Call me a cry baby but you’re the one that sounds like a cry baby to me, whining about me asking :censored2:ing questions to a pretty serious topic

Thebrownblob

Seriously? my opinion is UPS plans to gut you like a baby calf and watch you suffer. Will that plan work? They think it will. That’s their strategy.

HarryWarden

Seriously? my opinion is UPS plans to gut you like a baby calf and watch you suffer. Will that plan work? They think it will. That’s their strategy.
Ok, that’s what I was asking. So sounds like you think ups plans for the strike to last indefinitely and is planning on trying to replace us while we strike long term. That’s all I wanted to know