We..the UPS Teamsters Need to Organize FedEx ......

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Aren't FedEx pilots unionized????

If so, why doesn't the pilot's union help them out. Seems that would work better than having employees from a whole nother company pushing it.[/QUOTE

Pilots are ALPA and well taken care of...they could care less about us. They love their deal because they get top wages, great benefits, and an excellent pension. We hourlies subsidize their great compensation package.

barnyard

KTM rider
They belong to a different union for one. UPS drivers and the Teamsters would be in the best position to help us organize. Secondly the pilots and couriers might as well be working for different companies as we have no contact with each other. And I'm pretty sure the pilots could care less about us drivers and our concerns. And it has been said here before that UPS drivers and the Teamsters would benefit from a unionized FedEx Express.

Does not matter that they belong to a different union. They are you coworkers and work for the same company. They would be waaaaaay more helpful than non-coworkers. You would think the pilots could organize a work stoppage if FE did not allow couriers to vote.

That would get Fred's attention.

thedownhillEXPRESS

Does not matter that they belong to a different union. They are you coworkers and work for the same company. They would be waaaaaay more helpful than non-coworkers. You would think the pilots could organize a work stoppage if FE did not allow couriers to vote.

I've never met one of our pilots.
However I have met hundreds of UPS drivers over the course of my career, and see and speak with them on a daily basis.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

That would get Fred's attention.[/QUOTE

The pilots have a great deal and don't even know we exist. They look at us as scum and would never cooperate on a work stoppage. They've got it good.

That would get Fred's attention.[/QUOTE

The pilots have a great deal and don't even know we exist. They look at us as scum and would never cooperate on a work stoppage. They've got it good.
Thy cant fly...If you dont pickup any packages!..Fred W Smith wont pay them to fly empty planes!!!!!

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
True, but they're not on our side. Fred is their buddy.

Don't be so quick to count them out. A picket line is a picket line, regardless of pay discrepancies.

A major reason the Teamsters won the '97 strike involved the pilots honoring the picket lines. UPS ended up having scab pilots fly planes in a landing/take-off pattern ad nauseum (my older brothers in the '97 strike were writing down the transponder numbers and realized they were the same planes..) because they couldn't get the air volume moved.

That's logistics.

barnyard

KTM rider
True, but they're not on our side. Fred is their buddy.

What I am reading from you, is that you are giving a pass to your unionized coworkers that do not help you and yet constantly badger UPS employees for doing the same thing.

I certainly agree that the Teamsters are a good fit for FE drivers, but if you want to be unionized, take what you can get and beg the pilots to help your cause.

overflowed

What I am reading from you, is that you are giving a pass to your unionized coworkers that do not help you and yet constantly badger UPS employees for doing the same thing.

I certainly agree that the Teamsters are a good fit for FE drivers, but if you want to be unionized, take what you can get and beg the pilots to help your cause.
There is zero contact, hence maybe the limos are there for a reason.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
How are the UPS Teamsters going to organize a work unit that doesn't want to be organized? The way of the union is out. Everyone's just a consumer now, an object to sell crap to and make big business take in the profits. Any corporate industry seen on TV, media etc. music, movies, any entertainment, sports.

My understanding is that back in the day of the union, regular '" people were generally misers and therefore they could strike at any time, since they actually saved money and lived well within their means. This mentality has been totally mindfunked out of society through coercive long-term marketing strategies of big business. ;)

So back to the topic, organizing people who are enjoying their own captivity? I don't see it. Sorry about the cynical or OT portion if it doesn't apply.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

As others have pointed-out, our pilots are treated like royalty, right down to the limos that bring them to the ramp. They walk to and from the aircraft, not talking with anyone except perhaps the ramp agent who hands them the weight and balance and DG paperwork. To them, there seems to be little connection with the fact that we fill the airplanes they fly.

I would love to have ALPA honor a FedEx picket line and refuse to fly scab packages. My guess is that they'd be faithful to Smith and take a dump on us.

overflowed

How are the UPS Teamsters going to organize a work unit that doesn't want to be organized? The way of the union is out. Everyone's just a consumer now, an object to sell crap to and make big business take in the profits. Any corporate industry seen on TV, media etc. music, movies, any entertainment, sports.

My understanding is that back in the day of the union, people were misers and therefore they could strike at any time, since they actually saved money and lived well within their means. This mentality has been totally mindfunked out of society through coercive long-term marketing strategies of big business. ;)

So back to the topic, organizing people who are enjoying their own captivity? I don't see it. Sorry if this is cynical or OT.
If the ibt got serious about organizing Express it actually wouldn't be that hard to help. Every single one of you see an express driver at least once a day, usually more. How hard would it be to flag him or her down. Then talk to this person for 2 minutes and hand them info or a packet with a card in it. Better yet, tell them how much you make. Then hand them the packet with union card to sign. That will light the fire of desire. I want to thank you guys for even talking about our gripe. I understand your being cynical.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I know a bunch of the fedex drivers are contractors that own their own trucks rather than being employees so not sure how that would work with unionizing?

MAKAVELI

In order to organize nationally we are going to need the Teamsters resources and UPS drivers could be an immense help and get the ball rolling even faster. Maybe at the point we are ready to vote we can call for the pilots help but as far as organizing I think we are on our own.

overflowed

I know a bunch of the fedex drivers are contractors that own their own trucks rather than being employees so not sure how that would work with unionizing?
These guys are ground or home delivery, they are contractors not employees. Fedex Express are all hourly employees. Ground is taking both our market share. UPS\Express

UnconTROLLed

perfection
If the ibt got serious about organizing Express it actually wouldn't be that hard to help. Every single one of you see an express driver at least once a day, usually more. How hard would it be to flag him or her down. Then talk to this person for 2 minutes and hand them info or a packet with a card in it. Better yet, tell them how much you make. Then hand them the packet with union card to sign. That will light the fire of desire. I want to thank you guys for even talking about our gripe. I understand your being cynical.
My point had more to do with this: if you were to poll 1,000 FedEx drivers, a very large percentage would not be able to take work action and risk their jobs. That is what organizing FedEx would come down to, sacrifice. The vast majority of people are in no position to organize, and that is not by coincidence. The system is designed to keep people dependent and indebted to keeping up with the Jones's. That's American culture. That's one reason why unions are on the way out.

Johney

Going to go out on a limb and going to assume he is at top pay. That is one of the biggest obstacles to unionizing FedEx. Here is the top pay employees take on things. Depending on market level (A manager left an up to date market level pay grade sheet laying around on a table a few months ago in the break room after a frontline meeting by accident. So I grabbed it) The first hourly rate is for a courier topped out. The second hourly rate is a topped out swing.

Market level L- (Courier/Non Swing) $27.91hr (Swing) $30.43hr San Francisco,Hawaii

Market level J- (Courier/Non Swing) $26.69hr (Swing) $29.25hr NYC,Areas of California

Market level H-(Courier/Non Swing) $25.80hr (Swing) $28.29hr

Market level friend-(Courier/Non Swing) $24.94hr (Swing) $27.34hr

Market level E-(Courier/Non Swing) $23.30hr (Swing) $25.54hr

Market level B (Courier/Non Swing) $22.18hr (Swing) $24.44hr

Market level A (Courier/Non Swing) $22.18hr (Swing) $24.44hr

I do not have market location examples so I filled in an example of L and J because I know those locations I put in are in those market levels

You are not going to be able to convince the average employee topped out in the high market levels that a union would be a good thing. They are doing fine and are happy with what they are making. They see a union coming in and making the job 10x harder then it is now. Staying out all day being forced to get pickups. Some of them also think if we unionize it means now we are delivering air and ground again under the express umbrella.

Its just not worth it to them. Majority of these topped out employees are fine making what they are making. It's an easy job for 27-30 and hour. They have no interest in unionizing. But the sad reality is. With 2 raises in the last 5 years. A large segment of the workforce at Express will never get to the 27-30 an hour level. Unfortunately its going to be near next to impossible to convince the majority of the 20-25 year topped out employees that a union is a good thing.
That is exactly what he tells me. Also another guy I deliver to tells me he's p/t and when he shows up and they have no work he goes home and still get's paid 2 1/2 hours.