Weird things you did as a kid.

ups1990

As a kid, my weird act was to gather those mini football helmets that one could buy from the gum ball machine for25 cents. I, would look at the upcoming NFL schedule and put those two team helmets face to face on my shelf. Then repeat the process all the way to the Super Bowl.

Somebody once told me this was very weird. Hey, my weirdness continues to the present day.

Anyone else?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I used to pretend I was a weatherman. I would prepare my own weather forecasts and tape record them. I have always had a fascination with the weather.

That is interesting. I watched TWC for 5 hours a day as a child in the late 80s and 90s when we got cable. My parents and sister thought I was possesed by the weather devil. I still have my diaries of weather events and snowfall totals from '89 to '96. 30 creds short of a BS in A.S. from plymouth state college NH, and will probably never complete that program. Still to this day do forecasting and such but nothing too serious like 10-15 years ago in HS/college. www.easternuswx.com is where I post outside of here.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
When I saw the thread title I thought here's where the dirt comes out and then you guys are talking about weather & football helmets.

tieguy

Banned
when I was a kid we got our hands on one of those huge spools the phone companies wrapped wire around. We ripped a couple of boards out of the center and would climb inside and then ride down a hill while inside. What a blast.

just thought of another thing. Anyone ever make a bazzoka out of tennis ball cans or beer cans. You tape a bunch together with the bottoms cut out. last can has the bottom intact. Put a pin hole through the bottom. Squirt lighter fluid inside. Shake up. Stick a tennis ball inside. light and fire.

Paid-over-in-Maine

15 more years of this!
Anyone ever make a bazooka out of tennis ball cans or beer cans. You tape a bunch together with the bottoms cut out. last can has the bottom intact. Put a pin hole through the bottom. Squirt lighter fluid inside. Shake up. Stick a tennis ball inside. light and fire.
I made a golf ball cannon out of PVC pipe and an igniter from a gas grill. Add a little propane and that baby will shoot one about 600 yds! This was refined from a potato cannon which used hair spray. That just gummed up the contacts and thus you wouldn't get a good spark. Not to mention, potato's were hard to come by on the golf course I worked on. It wasn't much of a deterrent for the geese on the golf course though, as it only took them out one at a time.

DS

Fenderbender
We used to do the same thing Tie but we used 50 gallon drums that were rusty with jagged pieces of metal sticking out,probobly contained some hazmat at some time and we drug them out of the creek,got all the muck out and rolled them to the top of the "big hill"...cut my ear real bad and got hell from mom.And raiding the gum factory on Sunday was a challenge.Got the strap for breaking pepsi bottles on the wall of my school with a tennis racquet.I used to fill my mouth with lead pellets for easy access when I had my single shot pellet gun .

moreluck

golden ticket member
As a young Catholic girl, we played Mass and used Necco Wafers for communion and grape juice for wine. During the month of may we built an altar for the Virgin Mary and picked lots of lilacs for bouquets and for braiding into a crown.

Later on as a young teenager, we drove to Kent State campus to drink 3.2 beer at the Rathskellar.......probably singing, "Oh Mary we crown thee with blossoms today, Queen of the Angels, Queen of the May......all the way home after getting drunk !! :happy-very:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
When I was 11 or 12, living in Brooklyn, we'd go down to the donut factory, that was nearby. We'd walk by where the trucks were being loaded. When the coast was clear, we'd grab a stack of boxes and run down the street with them. We'd run all the way back to the park that we hung out at, and have a feast.

My cousin got ahold of a set of subway train master keys. We'd open all of the front and rear doors, as well as get into the conductors room. We were the kids tooting the horn and talking smack over the intercom.

*Thanks for putting up with all of my crap, Mom. RIP

PassYouBy

Unknown Acrobat
Climbed a water tower with a friend when I was about 11. Needless to say I got in big trouble for it when "I" had to climb down to go tell mom that John would not come down from the water tower that "we" had climbed. After the police and fire department left and dad showed up @ home after work, i could not sit on my a** for two days!!!:happy-very:

satellitedriver

Tie, I am with ya.
We would find a big truck tire and climb inside and ride it down in to the Bayou. Great fun.
My weirdness was a fascination with self flight.
I use to build wings and jump off the roof peak.
None of my experiments worked, but I had a hell of a time trying.

Livin the Dream?

Disillusioned UPSer
I made a golf ball cannon out of PVC pipe and an igniter from a gas grill. Add a little propane and that baby will shoot one about 600 yds! This was refined from a potato cannon which used hair spray. That just gummed up the contacts and thus you wouldn't get a good spark. Not to mention, potato's were hard to come by on the golf course I worked on. It wasn't much of a deterrent for the geese on the golf course though, as it only took them out one at a time.

When I was in my early teens, we used to take empty C02 cartridges, fill them with match heads, put it in a 3/4 inch copper pipe say 3-4 feet long, you light it, and it was a very good rocket powered grenade. Did it all the time.

Fast forward to 16 years old - making a C02 cartridge rocket in my bedroom of mom & dad's house. Didn't have regular red matches, but had a ton of those "white-tip" matches. I'm jamming those things in, crushing them into the hole.....then I don't remember much.

One of my very first posts here had to do with shaving to drive. I had a goatee to hide a large scar on my chin, which is why I asked. I severed my pinkie, ring, middle finger & thumb on my left hand (all somewhat re-attached) and blew up the bedroom. 10 day hospital stay, and the first of many run ins with the law.

Good times....

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Climbed a water tower with a friend when I was about 11. Needless to say I got in big trouble for it when "I" had to climb down to go tell mom that John would not come down from the water tower that "we" had climbed. After the police and fire department left and dad showed up @ home after work, i could not sit on my a** for two days!!!:happy-very:
I bet you and John weren't friends for much longer, after that.

When I was in my early teens, we used to take empty C02 cartridges, fill them with match heads, put it in a 3/4 inch copper pipe say 3-4 feet long, you light it, and it was a very good rocket powered grenade. Did it all the time.

Fast forward to 16 years old - making a C02 cartridge rocket in my bedroom of mom & dad's house. Didn't have regular red matches, but had a ton of those "white-tip" matches. I'm jamming those things in, crushing them into the hole.....then I don't remember much.

One of my very first posts here had to do with shaving to drive. I had a goatee to hide a large scar on my chin, which is why I asked. I severed my pinkie, ring, middle finger & thumb on my left hand (all somewhat re-attached) and blew up the bedroom. 10 day hospital stay, and the first of many run ins with the law.

Good times....
I'll ask, since I think I'd do it with better tact. LTD, just how did you burn your house down?:dissapointed:

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
One day after school was out I was walking home and in my backpack was an apple that stayed in my backpack all day (it was soft to the touch). Our house was on hill above the school playground. Gathered at the basketball was a whole bunch of older kids (playing b-ball and hanging out). When I got to top of the hill I threw the apple as hard as I could toward the court and ran home.

About an hour later, a next door friend came over and said when he was at the playground someone threw a rotting apple and hit my older brother in the ear. Out of all the people there I had the misfortune of nailing my brother. I don't think I stopped laughing for a week. I finally told him it was me, I had to hand over $10.00 or he would tell mom what I did. Extortion?