Weird things you did as a kid.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I'm assuming you are making a joke - no, it was not building a rocket.
I'm sure you had people thinking, on that one.

When I was 4 years old, I saw one of our kitchen chairs covered in sand. I used my finger and wrote the word, FU-- in the sand. When my Mom saw what was written in the sand on the chair, she pulled all of the older kids into the kitchen and asked who had written the word. No one fessed up, so she punished everyone and made them stay inside. I was the only one allowed to go outside and play. She figured that I was too young to know how to spell such a naughty word.

Mom never found out till about 22 years after this happened, though my older brothers and sisters knew shortly afterwards. I think I even have the video of my older sister telling Mom, when we were older.:happy2:

rod

Retired 22 years
When I was in sixth and seventh grade I had a 1958 Sears Moped that I drove to school and used on my paper route. I was the "cool" kid until one day I decided to show off to my friends by standing up on the seat doing 30 mph. I still have the scars to show for that brilliant idea. I spent that particular summer growing new skin.

bubsdad

"Hang in there!"
Me and a buddy used to make black powder bombs until one night we inadvertenly burned down an empty chicken coop. Every time the sheriff came down the road for about 6 months after that I was sure he was coming to arrest me. Luckily, we were never caught but that was the last time for that foolishness.

satellitedriver

When I was in sixth and seventh grade I had a 1958 Sears Moped that I drove to school and used on my paper route. I was the "cool" kid until one day I decided to show off to my friends by standing up on the seat doing 30 mph. I still have the scars to show for that brilliant idea. I spent that particular summer growing new skin.

You had a 58' Moped?
How cool,
Now,I am jealous of your youth and your retirement.:peaceful:

rod

Retired 22 years
You had a 58' Moped?
How cool,
Now,I am jealous of your youth and your retirement.:peaceful:

I started working, delivering papers, selling greeting cards door to door, doing yard work etc. when I was in the 4th grade and my parents were real good at letting me have what ever I wanted (as long as I bought it with my own money). I bought that moped from an older (14) cousin whos dad made him sell it because he got caught smoking. His loss my gain.:wink2: I grew up five miles out of town so the moped came in real handy. I think tecnically you had to be 14 to be legal to drive one but concidering there wasn't any law enforcemet to speak of it didn't matter. My paper route was about 5 miles long around a lake and all I did was stuff the paper in the mailbox so my stops per hour was high even back then.:wink2: I was really bummed the day a friend of mine got a brand new Wards moped for his birthday and it was faster than mine. DAMN SILVER SPOONERS

satellitedriver

It would be wierd for a kid now days to show a little ambition and make their own spending money in 4th grade:peaceful: If playing video games was a paying job all them little bugger eaters would be millionaires:wink2:
Not just weird, but illegal, these days.
I was shining shoes at 6yrs old on a street corner, to make money.
When was the last time you saw a shoe shine boy hawking customers on the street?
Mowing lawns at the age of 10, forget it now. One must be 18 to operate a lawn mower, for pay, these days.
I also ran a small paper route in my neighborhood, Morning addition on the way to school and the evening addition after I got home.
Those days just seemed normal to me.
Rod,
Thanks for helping me remember those days. I truly enjoyed them and those memories help me with my daily endurance.