Well, Well, Well

bbsam

Staff member
Can you name laws that Barr decided he wouldn't uphold? As I recall Barr very publicly refuted claims of widespread voter fraud. Doesn't strike me as a guy who was in the president's hip pocket. And "climbing up the food chain" involves immunity or reduced sentences in exchange for testimony leading to convictions.
Barr’s whole job application was to convince the president he couldn’t be prosecuted for anything.

Climbing the food chain involves immunity sometimes which is a decision by the DA not to charge the individual and need not end in a conviction. If the DA determines that it furthers his case substantially and his case is far weaker without it, he can and often does grant immunity. No attorney is going to let his client testify for the DA and leave the immunity in the hands of a jury.

Reduced sentences are often offered but also reduced charges. A DA doesn’t have to file all the charges. He can throw the more serious ones out or a felony charge can be brought as a lesser misdemeanor.

None of this means they are corrupt or not doing their jobs. It means the law gives them significant leeway.

vantexan

Barr’s whole job application was to convince the president he couldn’t be prosecuted for anything.

Climbing the food chain involves immunity sometimes which is a decision by the DA not to charge the individual and need not end in a conviction. If the DA determines that it furthers his case substantially and his case is far weaker without it, he can and often does grant immunity. No attorney is going to let his client testify for the DA and leave the immunity in the hands of a jury.

Reduced sentences are often offered but also reduced charges. A DA doesn’t have to file all the charges. He can throw the more serious ones out or a felony charge can be brought as a lesser misdemeanor.

None of this means they are corrupt or not doing their jobs. It means the law gives them significant leeway.
It means they are upholding the law. As opposed to those who pick and choose which laws they'll follow.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Cool pix!
AC17C21D-3ECF-4BE1-8C1D-BB9C40A0C500.jpeg

vantexan

They pick and choose who will be charged with which criminal offenses and the degree to which they will be charged.
That's working within the law to achieve the greater good. Not the same as refusing to enforce laws because they adversely affect certain demographics more.

bbsam

Staff member
That's working within the law to achieve the greater good. Not the same as refusing to enforce laws because they adversely affect certain demographics more.
That’s an opinion. DAs retain the discretion in each case. I mean how many federal cases aren’t brought in states where marijuana is legal?

vantexan

That’s an opinion. DAs retain the discretion in each case. I mean how many federal cases aren’t brought in states where marijuana is legal?
Why would local cops in legal states arrest one for pot usage? They don't enforce Federal law. And the Federal government isn't all powerful. They aren't going to expend manpower going after pot smokers in legal, or illegal states.

floridays

Oh grow up.
How about if I say both Eric Holder and Barr had cases they could’ve won but didn’t for personal reasons? Does that help you swallow the truth of the matter?
Actually it does not. Holder didn't just refuse to prosecute individual cases.
I'll give yo some time to bring yourself up to speed.

bbsam

Staff member
Why would local cops in legal states arrest one for pot usage? They don't enforce Federal law. And the Federal government isn't all powerful. They aren't going to expend manpower going after pot smokers in legal, or illegal states.
ATF is a federal agency. Drug sales are going on in the wide open and the AG is not prosecuting.

vantexan

ATF is a federal agency. Drug sales are going on in the wide open and the AG is not prosecuting.
Because that state has legalized it. Again, the Federal government isn't all powerful although I'm sure you would prefer an all powerful centralized government. No red state B.S. then(although most states that have legalized pot are blue).