What are the Chances??

In all seriousness... What are the chances of a 13 plus year vet at FEDEX getting a position at UPS? In other words, get a full time driving position. Or, a part- time position leading up to Full Time in a year or so??

Thanks for any advice...

Peace...
Desert Wolf

Depends on your location. But the fact you were with FedEx wont swing any decisions one way or another,although I would think in favor.

Im in the Phoenix area....

I was thinking it would favor as well... But also realizing that anything could happen..

I never have applied for a UPS and wasnt quite sure if applying directly on-line would be appriopriate.. Or, I would have to talk to someone in particular...

Your time at Fed-Ex is unlikely to have any bearing whatsoever. Full time positions are filled from within and based on seniority. The contract allows for 1 "outside hire" for every 5 ( or is it 6 now? ) inside hires and unless you know somebody in human resources they generally give those "outside hire" positions to their part time supervisors.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
Yeah...your the second poster here who wants to leave FDX....you have some years that I guess you can be considered a seasoned driver. Soooooo whats going on at Uncle Freddy's????

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I've heard Fedex Ground is getting rid of independent contractors after losing the lawsuit in California,among other things.

Yeah...your the second poster here who wants to leave FDX....you have some years that I guess you can be considered a seasoned driver. Soooooo whats going on at Uncle Freddy's????

Well, on the Express side, they are about to cut the retirement down to the bone.... Almost nothing... really..

FEDEX used to be a half way decent company to work for...some years ago.. Not anymore....

ex fed exer

In all seriousness... What are the chances of a 13 plus year vet at FEDEX getting a position at UPS? In other words, get a full time driving position. Or, a part- time position leading up to Full Time in a year or so??

Thanks for any advice...

Peace...
Desert Wolf

you will start at the bottom. probably loading cans. $8.50/9 an hour. it's brutal work.
you may get lucky and get hired off the streets but that hard to do these days.

if you make it as a driver, with your training from fed ex you will be expected to do more work then even the seasoned ups driver. you will start a the lowest pay grade, but will be expected to work like a seasoned vet. it take 3 years to top out. top pay these days is $30.09 hr. not enough for the work at ups.

as the low man on the totum pole, you will be a coverage driver. you get thrown on every crap rt. and do every crap job, which will be picking up the slack from the slackers. you may get a bid rt., but if you do it will be a crap one nobody wants. you will know these when you get there.

i know fed ex sucks. but with 13 years in, it would save you a lot of grief and effort to just stat there than to start over at ups.

don't learn this the hard way by trying.

it's just a paycheck. nothing more.

nocturnalbuck

you will start at the bottom. probably loading cans. $8.50/9 an hour. it's brutal work.
you may get lucky and get hired off the streets but that hard to do these days.

if you make it as a driver, with your training from fed ex you will be expected to do more work then even the seasoned ups driver. you will start a the lowest pay grade, but will be expected to work like a seasoned vet. it take 3 years to top out. top pay these days is $30.09 hr. not enough for the work at ups.

as the low man on the totum pole, you will be a coverage driver. you get thrown on every crap rt. and do every crap job, which will be picking up the slack from the slackers. you may get a bid rt., but if you do it will be a crap one nobody wants. you will know these when you get there.

i know fed ex sucks. but with 13 years in, it would save you a lot of grief and effort to just stat there than to start over at ups.

don't learn this the hard way by trying.

it's just a paycheck. nothing more.
not sure if you noticed ex fed exer but this question was raised OVER THREE YEARS AGO!!! geez man he's probably retired by now or maybe even in a pine box

DS

Fenderbender
not sure if you noticed ex fed exer but this question was raised OVER THREE YEARS AGO!!! geez man he's probably retired by now or maybe even in a pine box
ex fedexer did a search for fedex and found it.
He just hoped you wouldn't notice.
But in his defence , nothing has changed

satellitedriver

What are the odds of a 25yr UPS vet getting hired by FedEx Express?
Riding around in A/C and having the radio blaring sounds like a good retirement supplement check.

DS

Fenderbender
What are the odds of a 25yr UPS vet getting hired by FedEx Express?
Riding around in A/C and having the radio blaring sounds like a good retirement supplement check.

Put down the friggin power pad and screw the station.
Spend time doing what you like,make things out of iron instead of pushing cardboard.You deserve it.

over9five

Staff member
Welcome to Brown Cafe, Desert Fox! (can't remember if we welcomed you in '07).
Thank you for the 6 wonderful posts you've made over the last 3 years. You'll need to do a little better than that if you want to catch up to Moreluck.

(I wonder if he ever came over to UPS...)

Come to think about it, we hired an Ex FedEx ground guy off the street once. He wasn't a contractor, but an employee of a contractor that owned several routes. That was a while back and he is still working for UPS, saw him just the other day.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

Thanks for any advice...

Peace...
Desert Wolf

50/50
Either they hire you or they don't.