What are the first few steps of applying for FMLA?

Indecisi0n

Only your contractually guaranteed hours. If that is 8 for you the 8 is what you enter or tell the agent. Period.

Average? I would hate to think of the work involved on figuring my average. Plus as I said, we are not guaranteed OT. They cannot make you use/enter a hypothetical amount of OT hours anymore than you can make them pay you a hypothetical amount of OT just because you worked some the day before.

They told me my average and said you use that number (higher than 8).

EmraldArcher

I see a couple post from part timers who have FMLA. How does that happen? I thought you have to be a full time employee to qualify for FMLA?

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
I see a couple post from part timers who have FMLA. How does that happen? I thought you have to be a full time employee to qualify for FMLA?
If you worked 1,250 hours in the previous 12 months, you have met the threshold under the law (part/full time status is irrelevant). For part timers with 3 years of service and 625 hours in the previous 12 months there is leave available to you thanks to your Teamster contract (albeit a reduced amount of leave).

They told me my average and said you use that number (higher than 8).

Inde, you use 8. Another example why. When you get your FMLA as a ftimer you get 12 weeks (60 days) of FMLA. 12X40=480 hours of FMLA to use in what increments you need. Does UPS calculate your average hours worked and multiply that number? Of course not. For one it could be considered discriminatory for a driver that gets a lot of OT to get more than 480 hours FMLA vs a driver that does not.

If you use a day it's 8 hours. Not hypothetical calculations. If you used an hour you're supposed to enter a higher hypothetical number?

One of two things is going on. Whomever is telling you to use average is either uninformed or lying.

After I posted this I ran into two of our BAs on my way out. They confirmed that your are only responsible to report 8 hours for each FMLA day absent.

Last edited:

Indecisi0n

Inde, you use 8. Another example why. When you get your FMLA as a ftimer you get 12 weeks (60 days) of FMLA. 12X40=480 hours of FMLA to use in what increments you need. Does UPS calculate your average hours worked and multiply that number? Of course not. For one it could be considered discriminatory for a driver that gets a lot of OT to get more than 480 hours FMLA vs a driver that does not.

If you use a day it's 8 hours. Not hypothetical calculations. If you used an hour you're supposed to enter a higher hypothetical number?

One of two things is going on. Whomever is telling you to use average is either uninformed or lying.

That came from the FMLA women over the phone. The first time I need to use it I'm going to use the live number just to double check.

FMLA HRSC.

Then as I said she is a UPS employee. Misinformed or lying but wrong either way.

Try a different call and test them. Ask if avg or 8. If they say average then ask if that means that you multiply your FMLA days, 60, by that average to get the total numbers of banked hours you have available.

Another way to show its bs. The law say 12 weeks, 60 days. It doesn't say 60 days of 8 hours but only 48 days of 10 hours. You get 60 days regardless and since you have intermittent you have 60 days in whatever increment you need.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Just been dealing with some medically things that have been making work unbearable. I do my best to fight through it and haven't missed any time but with the way our center is running I am getting zero relief. The 55+ hrs a week is starting to really take a toll on my body (in its current state). I know I will qualify for FMLA but it was always my last option. I never been on it and just want too.

What is left to say ??

Low seniority person.... looking for a "ride".

​-Bug-

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I thought useless post always ended with a capital "I"?

He probably would have responded earlier....

But, dealing with all those "medically" things, can be time consuming.

Really.... less than 3 years in, and the job is to much? If you are having problems now....

Time to move on.

-Bug-

(A good sexual innuendo about something.... would still make everyone laugh)

Really.... less than 3 years in, and the job is to much? If you are having problems now....

Time to move on.

-Bug-

There's a time limit as to when someone might need FMLA? Or do you feel one must put time in to " earn " it?

Indecisi0n

Time to move on.

-Bug-

Who ever said the job was too much? So you say your a "big union guy" but when a fellow teamster has a medical condition and fits all criterial for FMLA you bash him? You're an embarrassment to the union.

cynic

Who ever said the job was too much? So you say your a "big union guy" but when a fellow teamster has a medical condition and fits all criterial for FMLA you bash him? You're an embarrassment to the union.

Besides the fact that "big union guy" and "juvenile sexual innuendo" in the same post somehow makes my skin crawl (yes, I do understand what your intent was and taking it out of context but I'm a smart ***** and annoyed, so apologies up front for out of context) - where's the union support for a fellow member?

I don't sense troll in IndeciOn's posts - share knowledge, if you possess it, or continue to watch PT'ers in RTW states read these posts and throw their applications away.

Indecisi0n

Can I bump this for another question. Wanted to keep all this information together for future searches.

When you have an upcoming doctors appointment do you tell your boss ahead of time "I have a doctors appointment on oct 25 and will need a FMLA day?"
Personally if I can give them a heads up about an Appointment I would rather do that then just call out that morning but at the same time I hate sharing my personal information with them. So far I just been asking for "request day off". I was thinking isn't it better for me to use FMLA for appointments so they can't hold it against me for attendance issues?

​Thank you guys again in advance. Only reason I am asking so many questions with this is my center manager is on a firing rampage and I just want to cross all my "T's" and dot my "I's".

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
If you are approved for FMLA, you can use the time as you see fit.... As it relates to your FMLA reason.

The company isn't entitled to an explanation. If you can do it with a "request off".... that saves your FMLA days.

​-Bug-