What are your funniest Seasonal Driver or Driver Helper stories?

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
I had a complaint called in on a helper I had a few years ago. Apparently she asked him if he'd like a bottle of water. He told her no but if she had any food he'd take that because he was hungry... Needless to say that was his last day with me.

Why weren’t you feeding the poor guy?

HFolb23

Wasn’t my helper, but when I was delivery we had a driver who’s helper needed a day off to go to court. Helper never came back because they went from that court date right to prison/jail. Only found out when we saw the article in the news.

El Correcto

god is dead
Always one or two seasonal drivers who call someone to pick them up off route leaving the package car without telling anyone or bring back a mostly full truck and then just leave without telling anyone.

Those are my favorite people.

FROMWESTTOEAST

I had a helper who banged on the door, open handed, in the dark, yelling "UPS". It was in a Latino community that had lots of INS raids that summer. I warned him, pretty sketchy. 😂

elkkid

Here's a completely underwhelming story of a seasonal driver. Guy comes in, like most he has to navigate the lack of a comprehensive HR dept. before actually beginning to work but he finally gets through it. So he shows up at the meet point with his RCPD gets his packages, chat with the driver a bit while he's unloading the PC. Then the RPCD leaves and our guy sorts his stuff, loads it according to the order in his MDD, might have to retape a few here and there, no big deal, they gave him a tape gun, DR bags and a full pad of missed tags so he's set to go. They don't cover everything you'll need to know in different situations with the MDD but hey our guy is a quick learner or can at least call someone who can help him out. So here's the funny part. this guy doesn't blow smoke about how great or fast he is, he just gets his daily load together and goes out and does basically what every RPCD does, deliver packages. Maybe once and awhile he'll have Call-Tags to deliver but even then he's got the package labeled and scanned for the RPCD to just grab and go back to the center. Our guy goes out like this every day no crowing about numbers or speed or anything else. Just comes in and does his job. Of course there are occasions when management will send him a message about go help this guy or that guy and when he finishes his work he calls them and they meet up and he takes a bunch of stops off the RPCD so maybe, just maybe he gets home at a reasonable hour to his family. All the packages have been delivered, nobody's out super late and we all get our paycheck on Friday. This is exactly what seasonals signed up for. Many do it well. Some need a little more time to get better but we are all here for the same goal, packages out and money in, (our pocket). So if this is as easy as it is and it only lasts 10 or 11 weeks tops lets put the drama aside, make some cash, and extra for the regular employees and just be quiet about it. Everyone will truly be okay.
Amen. Exactly.

Hot Carl

One of our 30+ year drivers told me they gave him a helper one year who was so fat that he couldn't get the seatbelt fastened. Called his supe and told him he couldn't use him. Sent him home. Never saw him again.

A couple years ago we had a seasonal driver try to put snow chains on a rental truck. I have no idea how he managed to pull this off, but they eventually came off and wrapped themselves all the way around the rear axle and the mechanic had to just cut them off.

BrownStains

I was a driver helper for a few seasons. We had some bad weather with snow and ice . They sent me to Meet up with a driver I never worked with before. A few stops after we started I ran out the package car as fast as I could after the driver handed me the box and slipped on a sheet of ice and flew up in the air and landed on my back and dropped the package. The driver saw it and got out and asked if I was alright. I had a terrible day sliding on ice. I’m sure it was comical to the driver.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
I was a driver helper for a few seasons. We had some bad weather with snow and ice . They sent me to Meet up with a driver I never worked with before. A few stops after we started I ran out the package car as fast as I could after the driver handed me the box and slipped on a sheet of ice and flew up in the air and landed on my back and dropped the package. The driver saw it and got out and asked if I was alright. I had a terrible day sliding on ice. I’m sure it was comical to the driver.
At least he asked if you were alright. I would have laughed my ass off and told you to pick up the pace.

TopsyKrets

$41.51
The few times I was given a helper, it was not a great experience. Same lady every day for about a week and a half. This lady was in her late 40s and had that burned up, homely look about her. Always wore tie-died Grateful Dead shirts and had bags under her eyes. Some days she would run so fast to the wrong house that I wouldn’t have time to tell her. And she was happy to run back and re-run the package to the correct house. Other days she was lethargic and complained the whole time. Obviously a junkie. Spoke to my supervisor and he said it was up to me if I wanted to keep her on. I told him no thanks.

BlackFriday

Please remove my account. This forum sucks.
One of our 30+ year drivers told me they gave him a helper one year who was so fat that he couldn't get the seatbelt fastened. Called his supe and told him he couldn't use him. Sent him home. Never saw him again.

A couple years ago we had a seasonal driver try to put snow chains on a rental truck. I have no idea how he managed to pull this off, but they eventually came off and wrapped themselves all the way around the rear axle and the mechanic had to just cut them off.
This reminds me. I've never seen a RPCD that's noticeably over weight. This is a great benefit to doing this job IMO. I doubt some obeast chainsmoker could do the job???
I did have a helper that farted few times in the cab and the back . It smelled like rotten eggs. After that he was gone.
Good clean(?) fun IF you crop dust someone you know WELL. Otherwise id hit the governor and push that effer out and watch the sparks.
It's 100% great if I pop off a few chewy air bombs but anyone also better have my permission which only goes to a select few.
The few times I was given a helper, it was not a great experience. Same lady every day for about a week and a half. This lady was in her late 40s and had that burned up, homely look about her. Always wore tie-died Grateful Dead shirts and had bags under her eyes. Some days she would run so fast to the wrong house that I wouldn’t have time to tell her. And she was happy to run back and re-run the package to the correct house. Other days she was lethargic and complained the whole time. Obviously a junkie. Spoke to my supervisor and he said it was up to me if I wanted to keep her on. I told him no thanks.
Yup. Junkie. No question.

Hot Carl

This reminds me. I've never seen a RPCD that's noticeably over weight. This is a great benefit to doing this job IMO. I doubt some obeast chainsmoker could do the job???

Good clean(?) fun IF you crop dust someone you know WELL. Otherwise id hit the governor and push that effer out and watch the sparks.
It's 100% great if I pop off a few chewy air bombs but anyone also better have my permission which only goes to a select few.

Yup. Junkie. No question.
I was overweight when I started at UPS years ago. Preload knocked off a good 25 lb. Driving knocked off about 10 more and it's never come back.