What Black Employees Really Think of UPS's New Natural Hair Policy

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
What Black Employees Really Think of UPS's New Natural Hair Policy - Cosmopolitan

Last week, UPS passed a policy that would allow their employees to wear natural and protective hairstyles. While the public was excited that the people who deliver our packages all across the country could finally feel more comfortable at work, it was also bittersweet. Why was this policy even created in the first place? And why were these rules still on the books in 2020?

I was especially curious to know more about the reaction inside the century-old company, so I connected with a UPS employee who asked to remain anonymous for fear of retaliation about what it's like to be a Black person at the company right now.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
What Black Employees Really Think of UPS's New Natural Hair Policy - Cosmopolitan

Last week, UPS passed a policy that would allow their employees to wear natural and protective hairstyles. While the public was excited that the people who deliver our packages all across the country could finally feel more comfortable at work, it was also bittersweet. Why was this policy even created in the first place? And why were these rules still on the books in 2020?

I was especially curious to know more about the reaction inside the century-old company, so I connected with a UPS employee who asked to remain anonymous for fear of retaliation about what it's like to be a Black person at the company right now.
What a load of malarkey.

While the public was excited that the people who deliver our packages all across the country could finally feel more comfortable at work, it was also bittersweet.
Yes, this was a big issue for the public.

And the article is even better:
I haven't really been comfortable talking about Black issues at work.
STFU. Please and thank you. I don't bring up White issues at work.
I show up, work, and go home. No need to cry about stuff.

We have an equity, justice, and inequality task force now.
Good priorities.
God forbid they spent that money fixing the furnace in my center.

I'm afraid of being singled out or stared at or looked at, because my coworkers don't interact with Black people after work.
It's not you, sweetie. Basically no one hangs out with each other here after work. Nothing to do with skin color.

The majority of my company is not as open-minded as the majority of America who chose Biden in the presidential election.
Oh good. Make it political.

The average person at UPS may not be a Trump supporter, but they're the "all lives matter" crowd.
How dare they.

One of my coworkers told me that THE white people WE WORK WITH don't even make eye contact with her.
What are you complaining about???
This is the perfect coworker.

They don't want to talk about race. That's what it's like for Black employees.
Correct. I don't want to talk about race. I want to do my job and go home.

I shouldn't get irritated. This is Cosmopolitan, after all.
But good grief.

wilberforce15

Who cares what they think?