What does a “No Call” mean on my timeline?

Saca La

What is it?
Long story short. Thursday they wanted me to jump for someone when they didn’t pay me for jumping for that same person the day before. So I just showed up late to work and everyone was gone. I checked the assignment sheet and I was an extra. I grabbed my check and left. Didn’t check with my supervisor before I left. Prolly should of but oh well. Then a sup texted me that same day and said I was on call for Saturday. Phone was dead Saturday. Wasn’t sure if they called or not. I just checked my time card online and it says “no call” for Thursday and sat. Not sure what’s gonna happen next or what that means. I don’t have a attendance problem. This is like the first time since they wanted to d1ck me around with jumping for the week. No sure what’s gonna happen tomorow morning lol

35years

Gravy route
Depends on your area/contract supplement.

Around here you can have 2 no-call no shows in 9 months before they can fire you.

Around here there is officially no such thing as "on call" , so you would have no obligation to pick up your phone, even though they try to pretend there is. So they could not consider it a no- show here.

Your area my be different.

Go in early or call your steward before your shift.

What supplement are you covered by?
What is your normal schedualed shift?
What is your normal job?

Saca La

What is it?
Full time cover driver. Seniority date is August 2017 I think. I gotta check. And they’ve hired like 15 new drivers and I’m on top of all of them on the seniority list. And they have T-S drivers and volunteer old heads to work on Saturday. It’s not my fault they don’t want to train the new drivers.

Brisket

Wait so you are a FT cover driver and were you not working the day before?

I would have showed up every day because where I am, there’s ALWAYS someone willing to go home and let you run their route for the day.

35years

Gravy route
If your steward says there is no such thing as "on call" in your area, and Saturday is not your normal shift, make sure you file a grievance to remove the Saturday no show.

35years

Gravy route
Central Region?

M-friend?

Did every one of the 15 under you work Saturday?

Any previous no- shows?

Does everyone have to be on-call?

These are all important questions to consider in determining if discipline and/or termination will stick.

Last edited:

Saca La

What is it?
Wait so you are a FT cover driver and were you not working the day before?

I would have showed up every day because where I am, there’s ALWAYS someone willing to go home and let you run their route for the day.

They are out of “trucks” here so that’s what I always do. I ask a driver if they want to go home. But that week we were heavy and instead of doing someone else’s route. They wanted me to jump for a driver. I agreed. As long as they paid me. Checked my time card that night. Nothing. Called me the next morning on my way to work. They wanted me to jump again. I showed up late to work. Got a no call

Saca La

What is it?
Central Region?

M-friend?

Did every one of the 15 under you work Saturday?

Any previous no- shows?

Does everyone have to be on-call?

These are all important questions to consider in determining if discipline or termination will stick.

M-friend driver.

Not sure if those under me worked or not. But they have T-S drivers here with volunteer drivers. I don’t think everyone is “on call”. From my understanding they start from the bottom the the seniority list for on calls. Unless they were all sick or on vacation not sure how I ended up on on call

Brisket

They are out of “trucks” here so that’s what I always do. I ask a driver if they want to go home. But that week we were heavy and instead of doing someone else’s route. They wanted me to jump for a driver. I agreed. As long as they paid me. Checked my time card that night. Nothing. Called me the next morning on my way to work. They wanted me to jump again. I showed up late to work. Got a no call

Oh yeah, they aren’t ‘out’ of trucks they just won’t let the mechanics fix the ones broken down.

35years

Gravy route
Here since you missed a shift, they could skip over all the guys under you to force on a Saturday. But here there is no "on call"... They would have had to inform you Friday that you had to work Saturday.

Now, even here, they pretend with the new guys that they can be "on call" but it is not true.

Do some research work NOW. Find out which is your supplement. Look up the on call or forced extra shift wording. Find out who your Steward is and contact him before your shift.

No call- no shows are serious and can get you fired. You will want to know your rights by contract.

Did they mention the no show to you on Friday?

You need to tell this all to the steward before they hall you in Monday.

Do not talk to management Monday without a steward present and informed beforehand.

Last edited:

35years

Gravy route
Long story short. Thursday they wanted me to jump for someone when they didn’t pay me for jumping for that same person the day before. They didn't pay you??? Are you going to grieve that?

So I just showed up late to work and everyone was gone. I checked the assignment sheet and I was an extra. I grabbed my check and left.You get paid on Thursday morning? How late were you?

Didn’t check with my supervisor before I left. Prolly should of but oh well. Then a sup texted me that same day and said I was on call for Saturday. Why do they have your cell number? I doubt they can claim a text message is sufficient...they probably need to post an "on call" list. Did you check the start time list on Friday for the following week/ on call list for Saturday? Did they also text you asking where you were at start time Thursday?

Phone was dead Saturday. Wasn’t sure if they called or not. I just checked my time card online and it says “no call” for Thursday and sat. Not sure what’s gonna happen next or what that means. I don’t have a attendance problem. Now you do.

This is like the first time since they wanted to d1ck me around with jumping for the week. No sure what’s gonna happen tomorow morning lol

Last edited:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Not sure what region but I’m in Frederick MD. I am a M-friend driver
You're in the Atlantic Area. The on call stuff is BS, don't sweat that. But just grabbing your check and leaving without checking with a sup? That's job abandonment, you're lucky if they don't walk you out for that one.

Saca La

What is it?
You're in the Atlantic Area. The on call stuff is BS, don't sweat that. But just grabbing your check and leaving without checking with a sup? That's job abandonment, you're lucky if they don't walk you out for that one.

I already knew I was an extra. The driver called me to ask me how late I was going to be cause sup wanted me to jump for him again. That’s when I told him they didn’t pay me for the last time I jumped. I had to throw a fit in order to get paid which I don’t like doing.

Saca La

What is it?
so if you happened to have direct deposit, would you have shown up that day at all? sneaking in to grab your check is a no show in my mind. the sat on call thing, not so much

No I show up to work everyday. That particular day I was running late and I was already informed on the way to work that they wanted me to jump for a driver.

Saca La

What is it?
So I talked to my steward. I asked him what does it mean on when there is a “no c all” on my time card. He said that I won’t get paid for that day. He asked me if management was calling me up the office. I said no. He told me to not worry about it then. Apparently I wasn’t the only one who didn’t show up on sat who were also “on call”