What happened after the 97 strike was over?

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
The one driver that I remember crossed because he did not know if he would be able to make his Corvette payment. Others crossed because they were non Union believers. No PTers crossed in my building and many lost their jobs because of it.

I am willing to bet. Members will be crossing in droves. If the union finally stands up to UPS. My guess not. Consession galore. While we work and wait for it to come to vote.

Can you imagine almost never talking to your co-workers for 18 years now.

...The 20 year employee turns to me and says I never knew what his name was. I thought it was odd. Now I'm not in a huge center. But it's not small either. Maybe 60 drivers. And the 14 year employee wasn't a transfer. They both have spent their whole careers at this center.

I'll bet I can't name half the drivers in my center of 70+ drivers & I've been there well over 20 years. I show up for work just before my start time, and leave right when I clock out. It's a job to me, not a social club.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I'll bet I can't name half the drivers in my center of 70+ drivers & I've been there well over 20 years. I show up for work just before my start time, and leave right when I clock out. It's a job to me, not a social club.
I notice for most drivers, it's a social club and a clique. Very conformist, much like UPS management.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
Uh huh. Justice, if we ask you.

But if we ask you, you would put in charge, the politicians that would make a mockery of any picket line we ever conceived.

Convenient, how you find comfort on both sides of the battle lines. I feel for the the Teamsters who listen to your "honest" views.
What is this babble?

Which politicians make a mockery of every picket
line?

Conservatives? Because that's who I vote for.

Democrats are job killing machines.

And how hard is it to be union in a declining job market?

Jobs are growing in states with conservatives running their states.

And not by coincidence, union jobs are growing in states run by conservatives.

Sounds to me, that you supporting those job killing Democrats, that YOU make a mockery of every picket line we put up.

rod

Retired 22 years

After 20 years you should be fishing and hunting together and stopping after work for a couple of beers on a Friday night together. It sounds like the company has you just where they want you. Now if you were upstate I could understand why you have no work friends but how can you work in such an unfriendly atmosphere?

After 20 years you should be fishing and hunting together and stopping after work for a couple of beers on a Friday night together. It sounds like the company has you just where they want you. Now if you were upstate I could understand why you have no work friends but how can you work in such an unfriendly atmosphere?
The company has me right where they want me? Please explain what you mean.
This job keeps me away from my family longer than I want to be anyway, why would I want to hang with out with my coworkers after work?

rod

Retired 22 years
The company has me right where they want me? Please explain what you mean.
This job keeps me away from my family longer than I want to be anyway, why would I want to hang with out with my coworkers after work?

The company is always happier when there is no unity amongst the troops. They have no problem getting their horse s..t contracts passed that way.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
Probably already covered, I didn't read all the replies, and I didn't do a freakin' search.

The sense that we were all working together (hourly and mgmt.)
as a team, toward a common goal, has never returned.

upsman68

Not me. I go have a drink with my fellow drivers. I play golf with them on the weekends and sometimes our families vacation together.

Geo926

Do you sit in your truck before PCM and plan your whole day? Every center has a few of those guys lol.

Geo926

Not me. I go have a drink with my fellow drivers. I play golf with them on the weekends and sometimes our families vacation together.
The comradery is probably what I love best about UPS. Have some good people in my center. Always fun bsing before PCM. Depending on the route we can have 5-8 guys sometimes meet for lunch.

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
Let's hope it never happens again. ORION. Lots of illegal immigrants looking for work. UPS would have lots of new workers
They still wouldn't be able to handle the volume. Too many people let the idea that we can be easily replaced, run crazy in their minds, and most who cave to this fear are scabs in the making. UPS would not be able to effectively replace all the hub, package and feeder employees. A strike would cripple UPS, again, period, and UPS knows this. Tell me how they would be able to hire a brand new workforce, overnight, that would be willing to toil the way we are expected to? A strike is a necessary strategy, at the appropriate time, but there will be consequences on both sides of the table. My Local, 63, has strong solidarity and would band together if a strike was just. We did it in 1997 and aren't afraid to fight for ourselves. We handle our business as the situation calls for.