what happened??????

raceanoncr

I know this is way off topic, but it reminded me of those Shake Weight commercials. Oh My God, are they funny. The Roc was offered a job promoting them and turned it down for obvious reasons!
:rofl:

My wife's obnoxious son's bought this for my surprise retirement party. With about 50-60 people present and me at center stage, they also insisted I demonstrate, which I glady did.

Signature Only

Blue in Brown
When the center manager that hired me retired, he let the district staff have it. He was highly educated and ran 2 centers 30 miles apart.

But at the end he was just a robot carrying out instructions. He reminded his superiors of his education, work history, experience and results....they just looked at the ground.

Guess everybody's a robot these days.
I was promoted from a driver to supervisor because I was educated, passionate, and was perceived to have good leadership skills. I was a supervisor for many years and enjoyed the job. I prided myself on communication, follow up, creativity, teaching, training and improving my work group. The work was challenging but rewarding. After several years I could see those skills lending themselves to a manager job. I was promoted to manager and loved it. I have turned several centers around in my tenure as manager. All on the foundation of honest interaction, education of why we do what we do, employee involvment and participation, doing the right thing and building a culture of teamwork in a center. I have never been a pushover. I have always improved the bottom line from both a growth and cost perspective.

However, I have realized that sometime between then and now the skills that got me promoted and have made me successful are now no longer needed, desired or accepted. I am plugged into the machine to play a singular role. My words, approach and corrective measures are all predetermined. I spend hours upon hours on conference calls that will dictate the planning, direction, and excecution of my resources. I no longer have a connection with people like I once did. I sometimes have a hard time explaining "why we do what we do".

I have lost the bitterness that I used to have becasue of this situation. In some ways life is easier to run their plan, their approach, etc, etc. I am far less passionate- But much more accepting of when things fall short. I am still regarded as a very strong manager...numbers, safety, etc.... but I no longer regard myself as a strong leader. My success as a manager is due to being a damn good follower!

....Just wondering if there are other management people out there who have somewhat lost the leader they once were in this current environment for survival sake????

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My daughter and what's his name are registered at Bed, Bath and Beyond for the wedding and, as a joke, scanned the His and Her's versions of the Shake Weight. Someone must have also thought it funny as they bought them.

you are not alone. The management team has been sold out far too many times. The passion is gone and it will not come back. They know it and now they will just try to scare everyone into performing.

packageguy

This company should go back and do what we do best, customer service, when the customer knew who there ups driver was. Again we are the front line the customer knows us, not Scott davis or some half ass supervisor. They know us.

I have opened many accounts from commercial to residential, just because they knew me, I am there every day.

Brownsfan

This why i love the brown cafe, i learn so much here. To say the least me and my center manager have a very unstable working relationship. I have had some very unkind mean words with my center manager cause i thought he was the problem. I never once considered the fact that he might feel exactly like i do. This guy is young, talented, and has potential. Maybe hes bitter cause he sees that those great attributes will never be fully recognized nor developed at the new UPS.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
This why i love the brown cafe, i learn so much here. To say the least me and my center manager have a very unstable working relationship. I have had some very unkind mean words with my center manager cause i thought he was the problem. I never once considered the fact that he might feel exactly like i do. This guy is young, talented, and has potential. Maybe hes bitter cause he sees that those great attributes will never be fully recognized nor developed at the new UPS.
And he will never make the millionaire mark, as those in the past did. there is no longer a reason to go into management at UPS.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
I was promoted from a driver to supervisor because I was educated, passionate, and was perceived to have good leadership skills. I was a supervisor for many years and enjoyed the job. I prided myself on communication, follow up, creativity, teaching, training and improving my work group. The work was challenging but rewarding. After several years I could see those skills lending themselves to a manager job. I was promoted to manager and loved it. I have turned several centers around in my tenure as manager. All on the foundation of honest interaction, education of why we do what we do, employee involvement and participation, doing the right thing and building a culture of teamwork in a center. I have never been a pushover. I have always improved the bottom line from both a growth and cost perspective.

However, I have realized that sometime between then and now the skills that got me promoted and have made me successful are now no longer needed, desired or accepted. I am plugged into the machine to play a singular role. My words, approach and corrective measures are all predetermined. I spend hours upon hours on conference calls that will dictate the planning, direction, and execution of my resources. I no longer have a connection with people like I once did. I sometimes have a hard time explaining "why we do what we do".

I have lost the bitterness that I used to have because of this situation. In some ways life is easier to run their plan, their approach, etc, etc. I am far less passionate- But much more accepting of when things fall short. I am still regarded as a very strong manager...numbers, safety, etc.... but I no longer regard myself as a strong leader. My success as a manager is due to being a damn good follower!

....Just wondering if there are other management people out there who have somewhat lost the leader they once were in this current environment for survival sake????

I must say that this is the thread that has me coming out of the background. I have been reading on Brown Cafe for nearly five years but have never replied. This is a thread that says exactly what I have been feeling for the last five years. I am also a manager and thought that I was able to use my mind creatively to improve the bottom line while listening to the folks I work with. No more. It is apparent that the mission has changed. Do as one is told and ask no questions. When the plan is not achieved people in the Ivory Tower have all the answers as to what you are doing wrong. Could it be the plan? No way. It has to be you. Even if you have a better way to achieve the plan, because it is outside the current mentality of "how", it can not be attempted. The question I have is why the change? Why is it that a manager no longer manages his operation but follows what he or she is told to follow? I have tried to step outside the "plan" and found that the threats are real and substantial. I still think that for principal it is worth it but I can tell you from experience that you will land in a job that you hate and in a position that does not afford you any satisfaction. After fourteen years as a manager who has had every conceivable operation in Hub, Package , and Feeder, the last thing I wanted was a staff position. Of course, after taking my own way to the plan I am now in a staff position not well suited for me. The good news is I can go when ever I want to. Now I won't on my own principal.

I had to go back and read this thread today. Who is running the center? Its being done by email and share point from 200 miles away, I just answer the emails and report on share point the good, the bad, the ugly, command by email as they say. I can only spin it so many ways to make it sound like it did not come from someone else. Well looking forward to another day tomorrow "managing" the center.:whiteflag:

TxRoadDawg

In the union section everyone screams about the company and record profits..........really?????

Pension charge pushes UPS 4Q results into the red - Yahoo! Finance[/Qit

It must make sense to someone.

http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f61/ups-achieves-record-earnings-per-share-348398/
earnings per share is gross income before all the bills are paid. I'm this case the special pension charges bled ups into the red. Least that's how I read it.

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
Normally we post anything from $750 million to $1.6 billion in operating profits per quarter. $3 billion in pension charges is a lot more than our normal quarterly profits....so there's your difference, and why we are in the red.

....basically.

ActionJaxson

The word is from my upper management that there are younger, brighter persons capable of doing more for less.
I see it as: There are unemployed and exploitable recent grads looking for a chance at making $$$ and gaining experience.
Then they move on to bigger and better things. Therefore loyalty and long term employees do not exist and retirement pensions are a thing of the past.
All employees will be used and abused until there is nothing left and the new UPS is hoping they loose all interest in continuing a long term relationship.
The new and improved: Partnership?