What if…

UPS MAN Dallas TX

What if I call out. Hello, this is …… I can’t make it to work today due to a unforeseen circumstance.
But management sees me working at my medical supply shop I own.
What will happen?

542thruNthru

What if I call out. Hello, this is …… I can’t make it to work today due to a unforeseen circumstance.
What will happen?
In my opinion nothing will happen. You were not dishonest. You didn't say you were sick or anything like that. You just said "unforeseen circumstances"

I wouldn't make it a habit though.

unloady

What will happen?
Nothing should happen. You don’t have to explain yourself and you don’t owe them any extra information. “This is ups man calling in for today’s shift”. Click. If you don’t have a chronic attendance issue, you’re Golden. Even if you do, expect a write up. You still have to go through progressive discipline. Whoever “they” are shouldn’t matter. If “they” see you at your other job smile and wave.

ManInBrown

Never give them a reason why you aren’t coming in. Only tell them I am utilizing a sick day. You don’t say you’re sick. The only time you possibly give them details is if you are really sick and you will be out multiple days. You can’t miss a week of work without telling them why. Then I tell them. But a one day thing, no reason. It’s so and so, not coming in, utilize a sick day. If no days left. Not coming in. If they ever ask why, tell them you’re not comfortable getting into details. Rather not say, personal issue. You’re under no obligation to give them a reason why if you’re only missing one day.

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
What will happen?
You’ll be good.. especially on Mondays. Like previous replies, unless you have a chronic attendance problem or in your 30 days. Nothing will happen.

meritocracy

Check your supplements for any language about use of sick leave. There may be language that states that sick leave has to be used for genuine illnesses or something similar. In that case they could go after you for it. Like others said they mostly do not care unless they're short staffed or it turns into an issue. The advice to just say "I am using sick leave today" is good. Also the more notice you can give the better. If you call in 5 minutes before your scheduled start time they're gonna be pissed off.

quad decade guy

What will happen?
Answer: Something or nothing.

But.....if you are a feeder driver or pkg......I'd begin to wonder about hours of service and rest.

If so....you should know that......you have to reset and all that. If you are being paid(even if it's your own company and all that...) you are working. And yes, it is DOT's and UPS's business. Volunteering is a different matter. Mowing lawns for money on the weekends means YOU ARE WORKING NOT RESTING.

I'd say working somewhere else and not at work when you are scheduled to is high risk.

I have known folks to call off to hotshot loads for a friend instead of working their regular run.....it pays better(sometimes).

I have known folks to hotshot loads on the weekend for extra money while on reset......rolling the dice.

BS you say? Where it matters......have an accident...especially a fatality......becomes a Fed investigation.....they will find out who you are and what you do. Guaranteed. Federal/DOT now...

J.D. Hogg

Attendance is optional at UPS.

They'll just call the next person(s) on the seniority list until someone agrees to come in.

They could care less if you show up -- anyone will do.

Seriously.

clean hairy

If you are in the Southern,
"This is joe blow, I am using an option day today. "Click!
As long as you call within the required time frame, they can do nothing.

35years

Gravy route
Yep
Manager took a few months of mental health leave...disability. He had previously sought to find something on me...in order to fire me.

I spot him on my route working for a relative of his.

He is instantly terminated.