What if Ups buys out Teamsters/Central States Pension woo`s?

sawdusttv

Saw, I got COPIES at last local meeting. It appears that this might have been printed out by company because of all the company-favored proposals in here.

I can't believe the IBT would print this up, although, sad to say, it looks like the IBT is bucking for approval. My copy is so scratched over with figures and underlines and handwritten footnotes that I don't think it would even COPY very good.

Anyway, it's dated May 8, 2007 and is entitled EMPLOYER PROPOSAL.

Good enough, but yhis could be a ploy by the teamsters to get members fired up against the company.

Fullhouse

You and your people want me to post this 9 page dibacle called the "Employer Proposal"?, or else you won't believe it anything we quote from it? Well, you know what? I don't have time for this. I'm not as eddycated as you and, although Cheryl has helped in many cases and is very knowledgable on how to make this into a readable format, I don't feel I have to post this when this info was readily available at our last general membership meeting. Stacks of copies were available to ALL members and should be available at all locals.

BUT wait a minute! If we are NOT members or don't go to any meetings, then we wouldn't have access to this, would we? Hmmmmm, too bad, huh?
I went to my last meeting and nothing was passed out! If you could just PM me a copy, I would be greatfull.

Cole

They didn't pass anything out at ours either. Why are the Teamsters keeping us in the dark! That's not "unity"?!

705red

Browncafe Steward
I have answered all your questions, but the one question I have posted over and over has never been answered. Why is this? The question once again can be found in post # 52. You have misled the sheep with your propaganda into believing that the Teamsters are "working" for the best interests of the hard working employee, when in reality, we are working to pay you and your cronies huge salaries and benefits. As far as losing support, look no further than the Teamsters, whose membership numbers keep dropping year after year. Care to debate this fact too?
E79 you stated that i post nothing but lies, but you have failed to show me where i have lied!

mittam

They didn't pass anything out at ours either. Why are the Teamsters keeping us in the dark! That's not "unity"?!

We had a vp from DC at our center today but he acted as if he had no clue what was going on. He said he is not part of the negotiating committee so he is not privy to that info. He had no answers only guesses. He doesn't know about ss coming out of pension, he doesn't know if there will still be a penalty, and he doesn't know if 25 or 30 and out will be back. He brought no info of the talks with him. HE came from a brewery and has no clue just what we do at UPS and how demanding our jobs can be. He did say he is concerned about UPS/teamster pension plan and thinks we will get ripped off by it. BUT, if that happens he said the cs pension would be 78% funded when UPS buys out their liability for the plan.

wildgoose

WILDGOOSE
Goose,
705red isn't all bad. I am an APWA supporter and for a while now red and I have been having very good talks. I think it is because we both stopped bashing each other and just tell our point of view, talk things out and exchange info. We don't always agree on things but I have learned a lot from RED and hope I have helped him see my point of view.
After all, we are all UPS employees, and that is the group that we all need to support. Keeping that in mind, all others are the outsiders, the teamsters, the APWA, etc.
We should all try and focus on helping our UPS brothers and sisters and the rest will fall into place.
Hey Sawdust i`m sure he`s a asset to his local and i would to if they were rock solid but were on opposite side of the tracks when it comes to the solvencency of our Pensioners. Now you say about helping your brother and sista`s thats what i feel about the Apwa bringing something fresh to the table. Comunication is readily available. I can discontinue the ping pong game with Red because it does take away from the objective of seeking a fix to our situation. I don`t figure the company buyout would be our best interest but may have some good points. Right now i am not sure what the teamsters are working on but will be very interested when the offer hits the table . Peace brother !

sawdusttv

Hey Sawdust i`m sure he`s a asset to his local and i would to if they were rock solid but were on opposite side of the tracks when it comes to the solvencency of our Pensioners. Now you say about helping your brother and sista`s thats what i feel about the Apwa bringing something fresh to the table. Comunication is readily available. I can discontinue the ping pong game with Red because it does take away from the objective of seeking a fix to our situation. I don`t figure the company buyout would be our best interest but may have some good points. Right now i am not sure what the teamsters are working on but will be very interested when the offer hits the table . Peace brother !

Very good Goose,

I to believe that the APWA is the UPS employees pulling together to make all of our situations better. Unfortunatly, some don't see it the way that we do. You and I see that if we can pull the UPS employees together for once that this can and will fly, but some need to be shown, they need proof, that is just there nature. So, even though we would like for these people to have the faith that we do, and jump on the band wagon, it looks as though we will have to show them the way first. If we stay on good terms with these people the trust factor will come much easier and will in the end bring us together, wether it be on one side of the fence or all in the middle.
Anyway brother, keep the faith!

wildgoose

WILDGOOSE

Very good Goose,

I to believe that the APWA is the UPS employees pulling together to make all of our situations better. Unfortunatly, some don't see it the way that we do. You and I see that if we can pull the UPS employees together for once that this can and will fly, but some need to be shown, they need proof, that is just there nature. So, even though we would like for these people to have the faith that we do, and jump on the band wagon, it looks as though we will have to show them the way first. If we stay on good terms with these people the trust factor will come much easier and will in the end bring us together, wether it be on one side of the fence or all in the middle.
Anyway brother, keep the faith!
Thanks Sawdust will do !

N

NoToUPS

Here is something you got to expect if Ups buys out Central States and has the teamsters as a overseeer of the pension fund that will be funded only by ups. There will be a cost to you and i and that cost will be in the form of a pension that will subtracted from your social security like the management will be getting in the future. That same program was submitted before the contract before the "BEST CONTRACT EVER" ! That will be the cost of the company paying out 4 billion to fix the teamsters/Central States Debacle. If APWA takes it over then there won`t have that issue. Ups employees will receive 100% of contributions negotiated !
....If Uncle Parcel gets our Pension it is only a matter of time before they reduce it to the same lame pension their own management gets.....Every supervisor I talk with prays their pension is run by the Mechanics Union ........

I've never heard anyone in management complain about their pension. My understanding is that it's 80% of the average of their last 5 years pay and they can retire at age 55 with any combination of 25 years of service with the company ( hourly + management ). I also recall reading from an independent source that they are fortunate enough to be in one of the few OVERfunded pension plans around.

We had a vp from DC at our center today but he acted as if he had no clue what was going on. He said he is not part of the negotiating committee so he is not privy to that info. He had no answers only guesses. He doesn't know about ss coming out of pension, he doesn't know if there will still be a penalty, and he doesn't know if 25 or 30 and out will be back. He brought no info of the talks with him. HE came from a brewery and has no clue just what we do at UPS and how demanding our jobs can be. He did say he is concerned about UPS/teamster pension plan and thinks we will get ripped off by it. BUT, if that happens he said the cs pension would be 78% funded when UPS buys out their liability for the plan.

Any vice president from the general executive board that tells you they do not know anything about the UPS buy out from central states is lying through their teeth to you. You can be without a doubt that every vice president has been briefed on this and has been sent out into the centers to get a read on how the workers are feeling about it. They just don't drop everything and show up at UPS ceneters until it is election time or they need something. Right now they need something.

The buy out amount is said to be increasing from 4 billion to 5 billion and the pension fund has not finished counting yet and it could go as high as 6 to 6.2 billion for UPS to buy their way out.

There also is a developing conflict of interest issue between a top Hoffa consultant and the UPS centrals states pension fund trustee. Sure to be more about that later. But as time goes on the story just gets dirtier and dirtier.

Bill

And could someone give us the name of this investment firm. We can then investigate its actual, historical, track record and see if it has been magically immune to market downturns and other problems, or weather it is composed of mere mortals, just like the top investment firms that ran Central States and the other Teamsters-sponsored funds.
The APWA can't do any worse than the Teamsters or CS did managing the pension fund. Currently, the pension fund is headed for bankruptcy, so the way I see it, a change is definately needed.

Bill

Answered all my questions, Eng? Oh, boy, how many times do I have to go over this? Verified all information?

First of all, was this post directed at you? I think not! This post was directed at Wildgoose and he STILL has not answered the questions. This further cements the ATTENTION DISORDER that you both seem to be afflicted with.

One more time. The question in this post was: Please post for me and others where you see that Social Security will be deducted from our pension. The next question was: Please post for me where it says that Teamsters will be the "overseer" of this new, company pension.

My questions for you still stand UNANSWERED and UNVERIFIED! They are????

PROVE to me that your city councilman is receiving a pension from the city council, as you claimed months ago and haven't posted or verified! OH, you said go to the website. Well, I did and it don't say squat about a pension.

PROVE to me that your city councilman is receiving wages for his council work, as you claimed months ago and haven't posted or verified! Oh, again, you said go to the website. Well, you know what? It don't say squat about wages!

PROVE to me that your city councilman is attending council meetings on Teamster time, as you claimed months ago and haven't posted or verified! Oh, agin, you said go to the website. Well, you know what? It don't say nuttin about time of meetings!

All you can do is divert the questions back to your hatred of the Teamsters and CS. By your skillful diversion tactics you MUST be management!

Please be advised: I really don't care what the answers are! It's just that YOU brought up the questions! Since you did, I want the answers! Show what you're made of!

You are taking my exact words and turning them around to make it look like YOU said them! Clever!

You and your people want me to post this 9 page dibacle called the "Employer Proposal"?, or else you won't believe it anything we quote from it? Well, you know what? I don't have time for this. I'm not as eddycated as you and, although Cheryl has helped in many cases and is very knowledgable on how to make this into a readable format, I don't feel I have to post this when this info was readily available at our last general membership meeting. Stacks of copies were available to ALL members and should be available at all locals.

BUT wait a minute! If we are NOT members or don't go to any meetings, then we wouldn't have access to this, would we? Hmmmmm, too bad, huh?

Well, I know you and Goose ain't gonna answer these again, so I see no need to deal with you again. I know, I said this before, but your mindless babblings keep drawing me back. This time, I say NO! Keep drawing in the uninformed that are enthralled with this kinda talk and sit back patting yourself on the back. I, for one (even tho I surely ain't as smart as you, because you've let me know that so many times), like to get answers to my questions and you two don't offer any.
I never said that Social Security will be deducted from the pension if UPS controls it. It may or may not, I don't know, but would like to find out if this is the case.
The fact is that my BA is working a second job, but we have many restrictions placed upon us. Although it is not posted on the website concerning the salary and pension of this BA working as a councilman, everyone but you knows that these people get paid salary and benefits. It is always in every newspaper around the country when these people decide to give themselves hefty raises. You missed the entire point I was making. I don't really care about what he does outside of his union job, or if he makes money at other endeavors. Why are you so obsessed with what I stated correctly on this BA? You should be more concerned about the pension problems we are facing. What you are doing is diverting attention away from the real issues facing UPS employees, namely the pension fiasco that the Teamsters and CS created.
WHAT ARE THE TEAMSTERS DOING TO FIX THE PENSION PROBLEMS? Once again, you have totally ignored this question that every one wants an answer to, but since you and/or the Teamsters have no viable answer, you choose to ignore it, and divert attention to minor issues such as a BA working as a councilman. No one cares about this BA, but they do want to know about their pensions and how the Teamsters have screwed it up, but refuse to take responsibility for this mess.

Bill

....If Uncle Parcel gets our Pension it is only a matter of time before they reduce it to the same lame pension their own management gets.....Every supervisor I talk with prays their pension is run by the Mechanics Union ........
There is no reason to allow UPS to run our pension fund. On the other hand, the Teamsters have screwed it up to the point that it can not be fixed. Neither party would be a good option to control the pension, so the only viable option would be for an independent entity to manage this fund. At this time, the only alternative is the APWA, a union for UPS people only.