What is normal procedure? I shipped to wrong address..

Status
Not open for further replies.

blkcloud

I have a package I shipped to a company a few days ago.. its a 1 day delivery.. they didnt get it.. I tracked it and realized I shipped it to their old address.. The company is called Tricorbraun in Memphis Tn.. when I tracked it I see it was re address to a Tricorbraun in Manchester, CT.. I appreciate the trouble that was given to deliver my package.. I'm just wondering why if someone looked up a new address why it was not sent to the Tricorbraun in Memphis Tn. 4.6 miles away from the original destination?? thanks!

McGee

Sounds like there was more going on with the address, maybe a transposed number or something also...

oldngray

nowhere special
That happens a lot when a clerk looks up an address and just changes it to the first one they see. It shouldn't happen but very common. On my old route I got a lot of bad address corrections that should have gone to a company with a similar name in another state. Sometimes I would get the same package back the next day even after explaining to the pm clerk that, no it does not go here.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Well, after all, you put the wrong address on the package. It probably rocked along till a preloader loaded it according to the wrong address. He had no way of knowing it was incorrect. The driver may have attempted to deliver it to the wrong address. The correct address, 4.6 miles away may be in a different delivery area than his. He may not even be aware of where you meant to send it. Once things derail, all bets are off. I was tracking a package coming to me 2 weeks ago. It hit a town 250 miles from me, then was in never-never land for 7 days. Nobody knew where it was. Everything was correct as far as the address and zip code were concerned. Sometimes things happen and nobody cares to go the extra mile to take care of business. I would think NDA's would be handled more expeditiously, however.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
...I'm just wondering why if someone looked up a new address why it was not sent to the Tricorbraun in Memphis Tn. 4.6 miles away from the original destination?? thanks!
Short answer: the CT listing probably showed up first (alphabetically) when the clerk looked it up.
I'm curious, did tracking show a delivery attempt in Memphis before being sent to CT? If so, my guess is the regular route driver wasn't working that day and the replacement driver didn't know about the new local address, gave it to the clerk that evening (who probably saw the CT listing first in the database). FYI, even 5 miles away can sometimes be too far away for the driver to redirect a delivery the same day, it requires mgmnt approval.

For future reference, if you are tracking a pkg an unusual status pops up (moved, incorrect address, closed when you think the receiver would be open, etc), contact UPS via the toll free # or web site ASAP.

Last edited:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I am going to guess that the label said CT, but had a good zip-code ; or vice versa, maybe it had the wrong zip but correct state. Worse yet, it had a bad street address (the OP put in the CT street address accidentally). The clerk took a stab at it, made a judgment call and was wrong. Sometimes the lookups in the card-file can be conflicting, clumsy, confusing, out-of date.

oldngray

nowhere special
Card file? Everything is computerized now and they normally have the address corrections done before the packages are back to the building.

Garbage in garbage out. If someone has the correction wrong in the computer then clerks sill just keep changing it to the wrong address without thinking about it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Garbage in garbage out. If someone has the correction wrong in the computer then clerks sill just keep changing it to the wrong address without thinking about it.

Whenever I get an ADC that was done incorrectly I will get with the clerk to have her update her records.

barnyard

KTM rider
No ones going to scold the OP?

I will.

This is not a UPS page and in the time it took you to register and start a new thread, you could have contact UPS via the 800# or FB or their website and received answers and made sure the correct address was provided.

Please read the stickied 1st thread in this forum regarding customers posting here.

Status
Not open for further replies.