What kind of hours can someone expect as a feeder driver in Harrisburg, PA on a weekl

over9five

Staff member
Re: What kind of hours can someone expect as a feeder driver in Harrisburg, PA on a w

HARPA to CHEMA. Just pulled one in.

But that doesn't answer your question, sorry...

Cementups

Box Monkey
Re: What kind of hours can someone expect as a feeder driver in Harrisburg, PA on a w

Plenty!!!

When I am walking in at 8:00am, one of our feeder drivers is getting in his car to go home and then when I am leaving at 7:00pm he is walking back in. That's a 12 hour day for him.

So, not to be too sarcastic, but cachsux says the 60 minute kind and Cementups says 12 hours. Is it likely to get over 40 a week or will it be hit or miss with 40 to 60 one week and an hour or two the next week? Not that I have a problem with that, been there down both. Just trying to gauge whether or not I can survive. Also, is i mostly driving or a combination of driving and dock? Thanks for the responses.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll

You would never work just 1 or 2 hours.

Cach was making a joke, seeing as you asked what kind of hours can you expect to work, so he said the 60 minute hours (or Full hours) it was an attempt at humor that CLEARLY failed on you.

Thanks superballs63. I got it. I'm just a little nervous about getting enough hours to pay the bills thats all. So, if I were fortunate enough to get hired and work over 40 hours a week, when does OT kick in? Is it after 8 on a work day or after 40 hours for the week? By the way, do you guys run paper or electronic logs?

Leftinbuilding

O/T kicks in after 8. Are you already working for UPS, or hoping to be hired into feeders?

bluehdmc

We run electronic logs. If you are getting hired on as a casual you may not work 5 days a week, in my area we only have casuals in feeders during peak season. They are not guaranteed 5 days of work a week. OT is after 8 though. I believe Harrisburg casuals work a little differently.

Thanks to both of you. I do not currently work for UPS. I actually got a call from HR to interview for a casual feeder position. I have been pulling doubles for about 5 years with all endorsements. I have only worked for non-unionized companies in the past and would like to start working for a unionized company now.

Cementups

Box Monkey

So, not to be too sarcastic, but cachsux says the 60 minute kind and Cementups says 12 hours. Is it likely to get over 40 a week or will it be hit or miss with 40 to 60 one week and an hour or two the next week? Not that I have a problem with that, been there down both. Just trying to gauge whether or not I can survive. Also, is i mostly driving or a combination of driving and dock? Thanks for the responses.

I'm actually a package car driver in Harrisburg but I know plenty of Feeder guys and even the newer, younger drivers work plenty of hours, i.e. more than 40/week. While I'm not sure what the casual schedule looks like I know our regulars seem to have plenty of work to do.

W

want to retire

What's a "casual" Feeder driver? Don't believe we have them here in Texas......

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What's a "casual" Feeder driver? Don't believe we have them here in Texas......

...a "casual" Feeder driver is one who, when given a "hot" load, does not change his routine one bit...

Seriously, a "casual" is a driver, whether Feeder or Package, who does not have their own bid route and are not guaranteed 8 hours work every day. They work as needed to cover call-ins, days off and vacations. For example, I am off this week and one of our casuals will be covering my route.

W

want to retire

...a "casual" Feeder driver is one who, when given a "hot" load, does not change his routine one bit...

Seriously, a "casual" is a driver, whether Feeder or Package, who does not have their own bid route and are not guaranteed 8 hours work every day. They work as needed to cover call-ins, days off and vacations. For example, I am off this week and one of our casuals will be covering my route.

I guess we call them "cover driver's" or they are on the "coverage board" but around here(Texas), you punch in, you are guaranteed 8 hours(Feeder, Package). Package calls them unassigned....Feeder-coverage board. This process goes by seniority.

Zeptar

Safety Compliance Sup

Harrisburg is only hiring casual drivers at this time. Feeders' plan is to hire 15 casuals by July.
I don't understand how feeders can hire casuals when there are inside employees interested in driving; some of which have cdls.

lazydriver

Are casuals union members? In our local we only have qualified feeder drivers. Those without a bid run, but you are guarnteed 40hrs and are union members.

Zeptar

Safety Compliance Sup

Harrisburg requires casual drivers to join the union.