What replies to you get from your sup when you tell them you cannot follow Orion due to bulk

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
One morning stand out in my memory that fellow workers still laugh about. I came in and a ft on road sup says DO YOU EVEN LOOK AT YOUR NUMBERS??!!!?? YOU WERE 2 HOURS LATE!!!!!!!i just looked at him said no and started laughing as he held his funny papers in his hand shaking his head.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
The so called "numbers "is how management is paid. Based on your performance for each day. I look at by the hour. Don't care about anything else.

slappyhappy

I don't follow Orion sometimes because of a bulked out truck and don't follow it the rest of the time because it MAKES NO SENSE. That story is for another thread, but I tell the manager why I don't follow it and he doesn't say much because I'm always UNDER the Orion mileage when I do it my way, everyday. Sometimes by as much as 10 miles. Some days it gives me 67-68 miles. In 4 years on my route I have never broke 60. So now I'm going to follow Orion and do 68?

His response: "well, we need to change the solution then". I say: "what does that mean?" He says "you tell us how you run it and we'll set it up that way"

What? Really? What the heck good is this software and million dollar system if you're just going to go in there and manipulate it the way I WANT so you can make your 85% number.

Only at UPS my friends. Only at UPS. The company makes billions in spite of itself. If the company wasn't started in 1907 and had a very large foothold on the industry they would be doomed.

That's why the Orion system is bull crap. They're saying this is the best possible way to deliver a route, and I can do it better.

The Milkman

I don't follow Orion sometimes because of a bulked out truck and don't follow it the rest of the time because it MAKES NO SENSE. That story is for another thread, but I tell the manager why I don't follow it and he doesn't say much because I'm always UNDER the Orion mileage when I do it my way, everyday. Sometimes by as much as 10 miles. Some days it gives me 67-68 miles. In 4 years on my route I have never broke 60. So now I'm going to follow Orion and do 68?

His response: "well, we need to change the solution then". I say: "what does that mean?" He says "you tell us how you run it and we'll set it up that way"

What? Really? What the heck good is this software and million dollar system if you're just going to go in there and manipulate it the way I WANT so you can make your 85% number.

Only at UPS my friends. Only at UPS. The company makes billions in spite of itself. If the company wasn't started in 1907 and had a very large foothold on the industry they would be doomed.

Last 2 paragraphs say it all!!!!!!!! Moe and the Boys would agree........

JackStraw

My thoughts exactly. I tell 'em, "You invest billions in this thing and you need a high school burner to tell a computer what to do?" They make delivering a package like it's a liver transplant for chrissake.Years down the road though I see turn by turn instructions right up to the delivery point through a sound system in the cab.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
those of you who dont follow Orion for whatever reason are making a HUGE mistake. Have no doubts: the company is looking to whittle away FT jobs ,and you people are sharpening the knife to cut your own throats. The supervisor that pats ypu on the back for being such a great worker bee will be the same supe that gives IE your info on how to cut routes.
The 'Old' UPS is gone,long gone and it's time to evolve

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I guess the UNITED POT SMOKERS down in Atlanta needed another tax writoff on some garbage that don't work. Just like the US GOVERNMENT throwing money down the toilet on shiznitt that don't work lol.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
Couldn't agree more. Management is seeking to dumb down the job,and to have the ability to put anyone off the street in a position to run the route.

Man, won't they be surprised? ORION might be the most expensive turd Atlanta ever bought.

They're leaning hard on these implementation teams expecting results. What they're actually getting is "Welp, we installed the software and the EDD sucked so, on to the next center!"

What more could they really expect from company outsiders? Doodoo in, doodoo out.

Sent using a Potato

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
After three attempts to install ORION onto my package route, it has finally been removed. The "engineer" who rode with me has taken it off because it DOESNT WORK.

I now follow my normal trace that "I" created and maintained for over 23 years now.

ORION was such a huge joke, within the first two hours on it, the engineer had me turn it off because it was sending us all over the place.

Like I said before, in a DENSELY populated delivery area, ORION FAILS to calculate properly. It ADDS miles, It EXTENDS the day and it WASTES TIME.

Whoever thought this was a good idea needs to be shown the door.

TOS.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I dont bother telling my sup about ORION; I just turn it off before I leave the building and use common sense and 20 yrs of area knowledge to be as efficient as possible. We no longer get any feedback or information about our ORION compliance, so I have no idea what percentage I might be running on any given day. Nor do I care. Its just a number, it doesnt mean anything.

Sent using BrownCafe App

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Option A: follow ORION. Fight bulk, unload and reload packages, drive in circles, waste time and miles, piss off customers, and stress yourself out.

Option B: turn ORION off and use area knowledge and common sense to deliver the route as smoothly and efficiently as possible, and then stand there politely the next morning for a couple of minutes and listen to a supervisor whine about your "compliance" metric.

Sorry, but I pick option "B" every time. Why make an already difficult job even harder?

Sent using BrownCafe App

browniehound

Couldn't agree more. Management is seeking to dumb down the job,and to have the ability to put anyone off the street in a position to run the route.
What you say is very logical and makes a lot of sense. I would tend to agree with you except for one thing: have you seen some of these people UPS brings in off the street? If these people are the labor pool for the next generation of drivers after a strike, the company is in trouble.

I understand the job is not brain surgery and potentially somebody with an IQ of 80 could do it, but many people can't or won't. The company has stuffed these routes with so much work that it really does take a seasoned professional to pull a route. Just look at how they baby the casual drivers at peak. The give them 6 hours of work on a route with only a couple streets and then the manager prays they will clean in under 10 without an accident or injury.
Taking this into account it would be very difficult to replace 60 drivers in one center on a weeks notice.

I'm not saying it can't be done and UPS isn't planning for it, but I am saying it will be a VERY VERY difficult time for the company and customer service reps.

browniehound

That's why the Orion system is bull crap. They're saying this is the best possible way to deliver a route, and I can do it better.
They say its the best way but my experience is far from it. Its funny because if I put the carrot at the start of some neighborhoods it looks pretty good and makes sense but the entire route as a whole never does.

I don't understand this ORION system because it makes ZERO sense to a half intelligent being. Like why have me go into 1 neighborhood twice when there is only 1 way in and 1 way out of it? Why not just deliver the entire section at once? Why go in and out twice? Also, why does it have you deliver the opposite side of the road AFTER you have driven down it first and could have delivered on the right side. Instead, ORION has you drive down the road passing all these stops on the right, deliver an area, then has you come back up the road and wants you the deliver the opposite side of the busy road.

I've read many posts and written many posts about ORION. I'm going to end this subject with this: IT MAKES NO SENSE. It can't possibly be the best way to run the route in the least amount of miles. IT CAN"T or I have yet to see it in 8 months. Again, IT MAKES NO SENSE!

Hey UPS, your ORION system sucks. BIG TIME.