What rights do members have?

Fullhouse

Can't find anything on paper (by-laws) and the BA's are telling me that I cannot access certain information within the local. I just do not understand why I can veiw the finance records of the local but cannot look at other records in the the local such as white paper contracts from different crafts or listings of shop stewards at other barns within my local.
What are my rights as a dues paying member?

705red

Browncafe Steward
Can't find anything on paper (by-laws) and the BA's are telling me that I cannot access certain information within the local. I just do not understand why I can veiw the finance records of the local but cannot look at other records in the the local such as white paper contracts from different crafts or listings of shop stewards at other barns within my local.
What are my rights as a dues paying member?
The local is in the right here! Why would you want a copy of another craft contract? If you want one ask someone from that craft, the union spends money printing these things and they are for those members. Listings of shop stewards are personal, i wouldnt want the local giving out my personal info to anyone, again if you need this info ask some stewards for it at the next meeting!

FromBluetoBrown

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to have an attorney present during questioning. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed for you.

and

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances. A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. No Soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the Owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law. The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized. No person shall be held to answer for any capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation. In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district where in the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defense. In suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no fact tried by a jury, shall be otherwise reexamined in any court of the United States, than according to the rules of the common law.
  • Eighth Amendment – Prohibition of excessive bail, as well as cruel and unusual punishment.
Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.
  • Ninth Amendment – Protection of rights not specifically enumerated in the Bill of Rights.
The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people. The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

These are your rights

Fullhouse

NSS, now tell me what information I have a right to veiw as a dues paying member.
Red you have a point I guess I just need to drive 3hrs and 15 mins one way to the barn in question and go ask someone, instead of driving 2hrs and 20 mins one way to visit the Local.:dissapointed:

Fullhouse

The local is in the right here! Why would you want a copy of another craft contract? If you want one ask someone from that craft, the union spends money printing these things and they are for those members. Listings of shop stewards are personal, i wouldnt want the local giving out my personal info to anyone, again if you need this info ask some stewards for it at the next meeting!

Okay red so you have told me how ya feel, Now how about tell me what ya know! Not a bad idea about asking stewards at the next meeting. 20 people attened out of 3900, 6 of which were board members 1 BA, 9 Frieght guys and 4 UPSers.
Whats wrong with knowing the names of other shop stewards and contact numbers? God knows the BA's are to busy to answer/return phone calls. The way I see it shop stewards need to be availible to one another and to other members.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Okay red so you have told me how ya feel, Now how about tell me what ya know! Not a bad idea about asking stewards at the next meeting. 20 people attened out of 3900, 6 of which were board members 1 BA, 9 Frieght guys and 4 UPSers.
Whats wrong with knowing the names of other shop stewards and contact numbers? God knows the BA's are to busy to answer/return phone calls. The way I see it shop stewards need to be availible to one another and to other members.
What good would it be for you to talk to a yellow or roadway steward about a ups contract issue? I am a steward for ups on behalf of my local to represent the contract that i am under. I couldnt answer or give solid advice on a contract im not under. Before i explain more what exactly are you looking for? If i was to take a guess it sounds like you might be looking to get a slate together to run against your current one. Im all in favor if this is your intention, but honestly why do you want this info?

Fullhouse

You hit the nail right on the head! We already had the election 2 months ago and lost 860 to 351. It was my first and I learned alot. Didn't have a full slate till 1 week before nominations and started in 2006, people would say they were in and then later back out, it was a nightmare!
We were blind sided by the incumbents with lies to members at block locations about who we intended to hire as BAs (BA not elected down here) Shop stewards tellings members to bring in their secret ballots to be viewed by them, in order to make sure they voted on the right before the members at that location mailed it back in. Oh! I filed pre-election protest, presented it to the board and you guessed it, got turned down, because it was against them. Even had the name of the steward and the shift that steward worked on. Would not let me see a list of stewards at that barn, when I asked at the hearing. Appeal has been filed over 2 months ago with the International. No reply yet.
I know I can review the financial statements at the local so why wouldn't I be able to view other documents with in the Local. I know, ask the President of the Local, well his says no! and without an explanation.
I ask because I have a retired 177 board member on my route and he told me I have a right to veiw any document in the local. Well According to the President and the Sec-Treasurer I do not have that right.
Who is right? Whats allowed in other locals?

Fredless

APWA Hater

I'd be VERY very pissed off of my local gave out my contact number, and I only have a cell phone. I give out my cell phone people to who need it, not randoms. If you have an issue contact me directly at work, thats how I feel. Everybody knows where I work and I purposely stay in one place during break so if they need me during the break, they can find me.

Fullhouse

I'd be VERY very pissed off of my local gave out my contact number, and I only have a cell phone. I give out my cell phone people to who need it, not randoms. If you have an issue contact me directly at work, thats how I feel. Everybody knows where I work and I purposely stay in one place during break so if they need me during the break, they can find me.
Would you be pissed off if a Shop steward from a different center called you and ask what was the outcome of your grievance? Should the company settle the same grievance differently? Why can't information and conversation take place between shop stewards in different locations? Aren't we all Teamsters? Sounds like some do not want to be bothered! I know why the Local frowns upon it, they do not want the stewards to get to know one another! The old phrase "Divide and Conquer" is alive and well....No collusion+ No question= No opposition
They do not want members they want SHEEP!

705red

Browncafe Steward
You hit the nail right on the head! We already had the election 2 months ago and lost 860 to 351. It was my first and I learned alot. Didn't have a full slate till 1 week before nominations and started in 2006, people would say they were in and then later back out, it was a nightmare!
We were blind sided by the incumbents with lies to members at block locations about who we intended to hire as BAs (BA not elected down here) Shop stewards tellings members to bring in their secret ballots to be viewed by them, in order to make sure they voted on the right before the members at that location mailed it back in. Oh! I filed pre-election protest, presented it to the board and you guessed it, got turned down, because it was against them. Even had the name of the steward and the shift that steward worked on. Would not let me see a list of stewards at that barn, when I asked at the hearing. Appeal has been filed over 2 months ago with the International. No reply yet.
I know I can review the financial statements at the local so why wouldn't I be able to view other documents with in the Local. I know, ask the President of the Local, well his says no! and without an explanation.
I ask because I have a retired 177 board member on my route and he told me I have a right to veiw any document in the local. Well According to the President and the Sec-Treasurer I do not have that right.
Who is right? Whats allowed in other locals?
First question here is do you have anyone running with you that currently is employed at the hall? Ifso hey need to some how get a contact list of the memebership, this is huge. Now when you ran were you allowed a list of the membership? Did you do any election mailings to the membership?

If you really need current and correct names and addresses, emails and phone numbers, hold a free raffle. Get raffle tickets printed with every bit of info that you need and give away a tv or surround sound system, and everyone will fill it out correctly hoping to win. Just an idea that was used here. Good luck and pm me if you need anymore advice.