What to Do With On the Clock Free Time

SmithBarney

As in, open the stop really early and leave it until the close time? Hmm.
no, go by grab the boxes(make sure they scan them out to you) ask for a walkup(here they won't officially let you do a sweep, FXO they will.) if Walgreens or Dollar General don't get anything else for the day they will auto cancel 15 minutes prior to ready time.

Aquaman

No. Did I engineer the route? What, pray tell, do you mean?

Handle, I guess I now understand the meaning of your screen name.

McFeely, I’ve sometimes done that.
Engineers usually go over routes before they’re bid. If an engineer signed off on a route, and a manager bid it, and there’s nothing to do for an hour or two…. Then do nothing.

Maui

Agree with others to get a sweep so there is minimal freight at FXO. I agree in part with Dana that you could be forced for another 30 minute break; however, I would not take one unless it was already scheduled. Not only can you not be forced to take more break if you've had an hour, but you can't be forced to take more than scheduled. Period.

Your manager should tell you to sweep and if it's common you need more work.

fedx

Extra Large Package
It doesn’t happen often, but sometimes I’ve delivered everything and no pickup is ready for about an hour. They’re FXO stops so I can’t really get them early. I ask dispatch if anyone needs help. Usually no one does. Occasionally they find a new pup ready to get. Even then, I have time to kill.

According to two managers I asked, I’m not required to take a break. My new manager (he just became one) can’t really say what I should do. He suggested going back to the station. But why? I can only think of doing some required training, but I’m current until the end of October. I’m not lazy and I’ll do whatever needs doing. Sometimes, though, there appears that nothing needs to be done.

Has this happened to anyone else? What did you do?

Take a nap. Go to Walmart or some other store. Play on your phone. I know a courier the same as you and his manager makes him clock out for 2 hours while he's waiting to do pickups. The courier isn't too happy about it and I don't blame him. Basically he's at his work's beck and call, but when there's nothing, he's supposed to sit around unpaid.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Take a nap. Go to Walmart or some other store. Play on your phone. I know a courier the same as you and his manager makes him clock out for 2 hours while he's waiting to do pickups. The courier isn't too happy about it and I don't blame him. Basically he's at his work's beck and call, but when there's nothing, he's supposed to sit around unpaid.
So in a nutshell, FedEx is docking this guy an hour’s pay every day. All the money the company spends on stupid stuff which gets worse every year and yet they rape this guy (and his family) for about $100 a week? This company is all about greed, power and control and run by some very sick minds.

zeev

Ground drivers take unpaid 3 hour breaks every day.

fedx

Extra Large Package
If it’s Express, that manager can’t legally force someone to take a break like that.
It is Express. The courier was complaining to me how his manager is forcing him to clock out for 2 hours a day while he waits to do pickups. What do you suggest this courier should do?

yadig

It is Express. The courier was complaining to me how his manager is forcing him to clock out for 2 hours a day while he waits to do pickups. What do you suggest this courier should do?
Go to ups and quit wasting his time! It’s a dead end job

MassWineGuy

Tell their manager that being short of work doesn’t obligate them to take a break.

And contact HR to have them inform this manager that what they’re doing isn’t legal.

Last edited: