what to do!

BMWSauber1991

My father just got a hip replacement and is moving back from MD to the west coast. I need to find a way to make more money so I can help out when he gets back. So far I have gone on to usertesting with some success in making some extra cash. I am honestly in a crunch right now and I am thinking of crossing to the dark side (holy smokes). I could also try to double up but I start school in the fall and basically that is a full time job. So i can either work "two" full time jobs or I can cross over to management and potentially screw my union route up. I would do it until after December because that's when I get vested for my pension so I have some time to think.

If going in management put the money into your pockets to help your dad, then go for it. Don't play politics when it comes to your family and love ones well beings.

I just wish I could go management then go back union after this. It would make this a lot easier.

BMWSauber1991

Just remember we are nearing peak so you're about to start making a lot more money with forced OT.

I am against management but like others have said do what you got to do. Maybe you could fill us in on their brainwashing techniques?

Yes very true, like I said I won't consider PT management until December so I can at least get my pension. Hopefully by then I will be getting more hours and double up.

BMWSauber1991

I noticed you mentioned you drive. If you do pick up any part time job you are required to inform management of your hours to avoid going over 60 in a work week. Any outside jobs that pay count towards your driveing allowance of that 60. My suggestion is go to your management team and let them know you want more work, I'd be willing to bet they'll be more than happy to accommodate you.

I wish I drove, I probably wouldn't be in this situation if I did.

BMWSauber1991

Sell stuff on Ebay. How you might say?

1, Find Stuff.

2, Sell Stuff.

3,Ring Register

Have you done this?
I am assuming you just try to find good deals on stuff the mark it up on eBay. I just don't want to spend money on something and then be stuck with it when nobody wants to buy it.

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
Have you done this?
I am assuming you just try to find good deals on stuff the mark it up on eBay. I just don't want to spend money on something and then be stuck with it when nobody wants to buy it.

If it's common goods, such as electronics, clothes, etc. don't bother. There's always a chinaman ready to take you out of business.

Plus the headache of dealing with people ordering the wrong thing, saying its not what they ordered, will be a big pain once you start getting busy.

BMWSauber1991

Have you done this?

If it's common goods, such as electronics, clothes, etc. don't bother. There's always a chinaman ready to take you out of business.

Plus the headache of dealing with people ordering the wrong thing, saying its not what they ordered, will be a big pain once you start getting busy.

Yeah, it seems like more harm than good can come from this idea.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Hang in there bro. Keep plugging away at it. Youll get there. Thats the challenging part of life is the challenge to endure the hard times to get to the good times. Be strong and patient, im sure you will figure it out. Keep your head up dogg.

quamba 638

My father just got a hip replacement and is moving back from MD to the west coast. I need to find a way to make more money so I can help out when he gets back. So far I have gone on to usertesting with some success in making some extra cash. I am honestly in a crunch right now and I am thinking of crossing to the dark side (holy smokes). I could also try to double up but I start school in the fall and basically that is a full time job. So i can either work "two" full time jobs or I can cross over to management and potentially screw my union route up. I would do it until after December because that's when I get vested for my pension so I have some time to think.

How long have you worked at UPS?

About two years now, won't be able to drive for at least four more years.i have had two other union jobs in the past that is why I am close to five years on my pension.
I thought you became vested after 5 years? Fully vested after 5 years of at least 750 hours a year. You may want to find out for sure.

cynic

Seriously, have you ever tended bar or waited tables? You can pull in some quick cash doing that - depending on what kind of restaurants or clubs/bars are in your area, have to fairly expensive places for you to make good money. Valet parking can also be a cash cow if you can get in to an upscale location. Don't know, just throwing some ideas out there for what I've done to get cash in my hand quickly.

Loyal Teamster

I noticed you mentioned you drive. If you do pick up any part time job you are required to inform management of your hours to avoid going over 60 in a work week. Any outside jobs that pay count towards your driveing allowance of that 60. My suggestion is go to your management team and let them know you want more work, I'd be willing to bet they'll be more than happy to accommodate you.

Problem is they might just increase his pph if he asks for more work.

BMWSauber1991

How long have you worked at UPS?

About two years now, won't be able to drive for at least four more years.i have had two other union jobs in the past that is why I am close to five years on my pension.
I thought you became vested after 5 years? Fully vested after 5 years of at least 750 hours a year. You may want to find out for sure.

The last letter I received it told me that I only have one and a half years left and that was over six months ago. Do they track it by the hours or actually years because at my other two jobs I was regularly working 50+ hours a week.

BMWMC

B.C. boohoo buster.
Have you done this?

Everything in this world is bought and sold. Buy low sell high. Its not rocket science. Ebay is just one of many kinds of markets. Try used cars. There's always a deal out there you can flip. Just practice your negotiating skills. Know what something is worth to a real buyer (as opposed to potential buyer) and always have cash in your hand. I can't tell you how many times I got huge discounts by showing the cash in my hand. Even counting it out on a table or on a car hood laying out the C-notes.

Find what's called in the business "motivated sellers" and then "motivated buyers." Believe it or not that's the skinny for the entire marketing/consumers/sale's economy.

Just remember, in a world in which everything is bought and sold those with money have all the advantages.

Re-Raise

My part-time pension years are through UPS, they have nothing to do with my Teamster pension. Why do you think you can combine the two?

BMWSauber1991

My part-time pension years are through UPS, they have nothing to do with my Teamster pension. Why do you think you can combine the two?

I am talking about my teamster pension, like I said I worked two other union jobs. I have only worked at ups for about two years now. All my union jobs combined is about 4 1/2 years, I will get vested soon for teamsters pension which right now is 20 or so bucks a month when u retire haha ill be rich! ;)