What was your experience the first day you went out with a manual?

rickyb

did it on a truck a few months ago. clutch was really stiff, and me and teh driving instructor yelled at each other, but then he apologized. i failed my driving test 2 or 3 times and then i gave up and went with automatic. i didnt really like it.

MTbrown

Most of them you didn't need to double clutch.
The one they made me take the road test in you did apparently. I didn't know why the gears kept grinding and the sup told me "they just do that." As she marked me down every time it happened.

oldngray

nowhere special
The one they made me take the road test in you did apparently. I didn't know why the gears kept grinding and the sup told me "they just do that." As she marked me down every time it happened.

Most of the manuals still around are pretty tired and worn out. Plus most of what is left are diesels which idle faster making shifting a little harder.

MTbrown

My sup said they don't let you drive one at driving school and the day I get back they are putting me on a route. The road test was my only chance to get a feel for it and I could easily be disqualified for having trouble with the stick.:mad:

oldngray

nowhere special
My sup said they don't let you drive one at driving school and the day I get back they are putting me on a route. The road test was my only chance to get a feel for it and I could easily be disqualified for having trouble with the stick.:mad:

Often they will let you drive around the parking lot to practice if you ask.