What was your experience the first day you went out with a manual?

wayfair

swollen member
ran out of gas one time, 7 miles from town in an old 500.. put that sucker in 2nd gear and ran the starter, would then shift to 4th.... worked for a bit... haha

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Just like every other driver because that's all we had.

Newbies are so spoiled! Man up and deliver!

oldupsman

My older brother tried to teach me how to drive his Ford Econoline van. It had "3 on a tree" and I just could not get the hang of it.

I taught both of my kids how to drive a stick. This came in handy for my daughter when she was the DD at a party and the only car available had a manual transmission.

It has been at least 10 years since I have driven a stick and, truth be told, I don't miss it one bit.

DriverMD is absolutely right.

My Dad made me learn to drive and take my drivers test on a manual. His logic was simple.
In an emergency situation, now I could drive anything if I had too.

Z

ZQXC

My older brother tried to teach me how to drive his Ford Econoline van. It had "3 on a tree" and I just could not get the hang of it.

You have to be patient with a column shifter, especially if there is a lot of wear in the linkage. Just wait for it to drop in; daily driver for over 20 years was a 65 Chevy pickup. (wooden slats in the short bed)

rod

Retired 22 years
I had a 54 Chevy straight stick that I put a floor shifter in. I screwed up the linkage so it ended up having a reverse H pattern. First was where reverse was suppose to be and visa/versa. Same with 2nd and third. I was the only one who mastered driving that thing smoothly. I got in a little trouble one night and the cops were going to drive my car to the station. While sitting in the cop car all of a sudden over the radio comes "ask that kid how this friend-ing thing shifts".

Hroller

I remember the Package Driver Initiation meeting. The first thing the HR person said "if you can't drive a manual, we can't use you as a driver....come to the driver helper meeting next week"

Two guys got up and left!

On my way home I called my wife and told her in disbelief that these two guys only drove automatics. My wife replied "I can't drive a manual either"

I guess I assumed that everyone who drove knew how to drive knew how to handle a stick! Silly me!

oldngray

nowhere special
You have to be patient with a column shifter, especially if there is a lot of wear in the linkage. Just wait for it to drop in; daily driver for over 20 years was a 65 Chevy pickup. (wooden slats in the short bed)

My biggest problem was shifting into 2nd on the column. You couldn't get a good feel for the linkage in the car I was driving (a 72 Maverick).

livin the dream

my first time out in a stick I had a sup that was riding with someone behind me. I think I stalled two or three times just getting to the main road lol

S

selfcancelsignal

I feel more like an idiot reaching with my right hand for a stick that isn't there.
& I feel most like an idiot when I forget to put an automatic into park when on a slight incline. Can you say rollaway, even if you put the E brake on, since the mechanic sets them loose as a goose.? I've had a couple of close calls.

overflowed

Dying skill. All the old school cars I buy for myself are stick. All the best are. Have to get or share with wife, auto. I don't know any kids under 20 that know how to drive a manual trans anymore. Very sad actually, it was a right of passage when I grew up. My dad taught me how to drive a manual trans when I was 8 or 9. Used to be a man when you could drive one.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
First time I had to drive as an air driver was during a snow storm in 1986 .
I was to meet drivers with late airs .
I was told to get in the vehicle ( P 800 ) & go .
I wish someone had put some fuel in it , ran out on the way back .
When the shop guy got to me , we found out that it was a red tagged car .

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
& I feel most like an idiot when I forget to put an automatic into park when on a slight incline. Can you say rollaway, even if you put the E brake on, since the mechanic sets them loose as a goose.? I've had a couple of close calls.
I usually find myself cranking them up tight so they work. Driver usually has them all backed off because they feel it's too much work to pull with a meaningful amount of tension. You do know how to adjust the handle yourself, right?

Last edited: