What Was Your Worst Day

mrbrownstone

I thought it might be interesting to hear some stories from you guys and ladies about what some of your crazy experiences have been at UPS.

Ok, so veteran Upsers, what was your worst day that you have had in your time with UPS so far? What were the consequences if there were any?

I have had some pretty hard days as a new driver but nothing worth reporting. I was however, injured working in unload that put me out of work for almost 3 weeks and had a lot of pain. Forutnately everything healed well.

Sent using BrownCafe App

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
a couple of summers ago(august in Georgia,99 friend with 100% humidity) my package car broke down outside of a huge pig farm and i had to sit there for about 3 hours smelling the pig pens. my sense of smell was blown out for a week

mrbrownstone

728ups said:
a couple of summers ago(august in Georgia,99 friend with 100% humidity) my package car broke down outside of a .....huge pig farm and i had to sit there for about 3 hours smelling the pig pens. my sense of smell was blown out for a ..

Wow! That really sucks. Don't have to deal with that heat in Northeast but there is snow.

Tough Guy

I'm not a veteran and I'm sure you've all dealt with worse, but last peak I had a day with 325 stops, which it's not uncommon to be in the 300's that time of year. But they took my 1000 and gave it to another driver and gave me some junky 800. I don't remember the piece count prolly high 4 or low 500. I had to toss my hand cart on top, and it barely fit on an angle between the ceiling and packages, and barely could close my bulkhead door.

What made the day memorably bad though is I lost my helper to a family emergency. So I had to fly solo. I'm sure that's small potatoes compared to what most of you have seen though.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
I'm not a veteran and I'm sure you've all dealt with worse, but last peak I had a day with 325 stops, which it's not uncommon to be in the 300's that time of year. But they took my 1000 and gave it to another driver and gave me some junky 800. I don't remember the piece count prolly high 4 or low 500. I had to toss my hand cart on top, and it barely fit on an angle between the ceiling and packages, and barely could close my bulkhead door.

What made the day memorably bad though is I lost my helper to a family emergency. So I had to fly solo. I'm sure that's small potatoes compared to what most of you have seen though.

Nah, not small potatoes, that's a pretty crappy day. Ten years from now you'll look back and still remember how bad it was.

Sent using a Potato

9.5er

I can't say it was my worst day but I had 415 stops a couple years ago. Mostly residential stops and I had a great helper. That was one bad ass split route. Hope to never have to run that again during peak.

Future

Victory Ride
I can't say it was my worst day but I had 415 stops a couple years ago. Mostly residential stops and I had a great helper. That was one bad ass split route. Hope to never have to run that again during peak.
Bet money your man parts are still in a world wind lol

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Any day over 12 hours. I've only been there about ten years and when I started it was unheard of for anyone to get close to 12. Hell you weren't allowed to go over 12.

Then the almighty DOT got involved. No one can work over 14 hours. Ups eyes lite up and they were like hell yeah load em up.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

This peak or last (they all run together) we had a driver sent out with over 300 stops in a p57. His bulkhead door would not open it was crammed so full.

He said until about 3pm he opened the back door grabbed a package and drove to it. I think he had to have 75-100 stops taken off him that day.

scisector9

Been driving about a year and I've had a couple bad ones. Worst day was during peak the week before Xmas had an ice storm and I slid into a little brick wall outside a neighborhood. My cell phone wasn't working that day do had to communicate everything through board. Went through the whole report manager taking pictures etc.

When I finally got sent back out they had sent my normal helper with another driver. I finally got a second helper around 430. It was his first time on a truck and it was a train wreck. I'll never forget one stop we were at where I sent him to take 3 packages up an inclined driveway and several times watched as either him or the packages fell and slid. They ended up calling everyone in at around 630 that day because of drivers getting stuck hurt or in my case crashing. Think we had between 3-4 thousand packages eced that day. My center manager and I were discussing that day a few weeks back and he said he had to charge his cell three times from all the communication.

I learned a lot that day and one thing that sticks with me was what a good .manager said to me. "We aren't super heroes we can't do it all. Tomorrow's a new day and a fresh start."

Sent using BrownCafe App

browntroll

they day i had to start keeping track of my hours. they had just brought in a new sup from night shift, i was missing
2hours 30 minutes from my check. i went to tell full time sup his reply "if you dont keep your hours then how can i tell
you are missing them?" my reply "the computer is supposed to keep track of my hours cant you just check the log?",
his reply" no it just tracks your hours but we input everything manually". i gave up all hope on management that day.