what work CAN supervisors do??? preload ?

happybob

Feeders
We are having alot of issues is our center about sups working...what are sups allowed to do on preload? Clean eggress scan check help pull? We are in battle and sups seem to not get it. We just need to know what is ok and what is not ok

Any help or comments please
Grievances have been filed in the past on the pre-load sups working in my building. They think it's ok to help load the trucks but it's not. They can demonstrate how to load while training new hires, but the new hire needs to stop what he/she is doing and watch the demonstration. When the sup has stop his demonstration the hourly can then return to loading his trucks. Something you need to watch out for is a sup helping an employee that has already been trained and certified/has made seniority. They think when they move a certified/seniority preloader to a pull he's not used to that its ok to load side by side with that employee. That is not training, it is loading and that grievance will win at a panal hearing.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
only supposed to train and supervise, officially
you could try grieving a supervisor clearing an egress, but since it's an immediate safety issue you'll probably lose

being a preload supe is easily the worst PT supe job in UPS. between the FT's who scream about numbers and jack*** hourlies who blame you for what is WAY above your head, it is a really no-win situation that you just have to try to make the best of.

as far as UPS is concerned though, it's better to just work, get your people out sooner, and eat the grievances

they're on different reports so most supes don't care lol

Say what u want i like to file paper work...over 2k in free money this year!!! I wish u were my boss it would probably be 5k this year...You should find the BROWN BRAIN WASH CAFE!!!! Then pray to GOD you dont go to HELL with the rest of my bosses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Say what u want i like to file paper work...over 2k in free money this year!!! I wish u were my boss it would probably be 5k this year...You should find the BROWN BRAIN WASH CAFE!!!! Then pray to GOD you dont go to HELL with the rest of my bosses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol dude wat

in 2 years as a supe i've had like 1 grievance filed on me

Buck Fifty

Next time they talk to me about my building times I am going to mention this. I'll ask them if they want me to start coding off sort/load.

This is why I put the time I spend wrapping up as "sort and load".

That's normally what I do. Building sup has already said something about my building times. I told him it is what it is. He got pissed and went to my center manager haha.

If they have any questions have them tweet me at #UpstateNYUPSer.

Why do either of ya'll care about what they think or what (y)our numbers look like.

anonymous4

How about supervisors using a "light duty" employee to tag along the entire shift as the sup works? Comical that supervisors go along with such a thing but it is the new fad where I work. What is also funny is that after dozens of grievances, all have failed. The same supervisors still have a "light duty" employee following him/her along all shift and this has been occurring for months now. I have gained some advice from a fellow poster but curious of other opinions.

What is troubling to me is the animosity the uninformed union workforce has garnered for these light duty employees, as you are sweating your ass off while the light duty guy texts on his phone, while the supervisor works. This tactic deflects attention from the supervisor and instead places it on the injured hourly.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
How about supervisors using a "light duty" employee to tag along the entire shift as the sup works? Comical that supervisors go along with such a thing but it is the new fad where I work. What is also funny is that after dozens of grievances, all have failed. The same supervisors still have a "light duty" employee following him/her along all shift and this has been occurring for months now. I have gained some advice from a fellow poster but curious of other opinions.

What is troubling to me is the animosity the uninformed union workforce has garnered for these light duty employees, as you are sweating your ass off while the light duty guy texts on his phone, while the supervisor works. This tactic deflects attention from the supervisor and instead places it on the injured hourly.
It's a good avoidance of responsibility tactic, to ensure employees that are injured continue working (no lost-time), without filing an injury report.

This has been going on for a long time at our hub. As long as bargaining unit member is being paid, all is okay.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
only supposed to train and supervise, officially
you could try grieving a supervisor clearing an egress, but since it's an immediate safety issue you'll probably lose

being a preload supe is easily the worst PT supe job in UPS. between the FT's who scream about numbers and jack*** hourlies who blame you for what is WAY above your head, it is a really no-win situation that you just have to try to make the best of.

as far as UPS is concerned though, it's better to just work, get your people out sooner, and eat the grievances

they're on different reports so most supes don't care lol

I wonder what would happen if there were a special presentation to shareholders about exactly how much money is paid out in supervisors working grievance settlements and over 9.5 triple time penalties.

anonymous4

It's a good avoidance of responsibility tactic, to ensure employees that are injured continue working (no lost-time), without filing an injury report.

This has been going on for a long time at our hub. As long as bargaining unit member is being paid, all is okay.

Are you personally saying it is okay in your eyes or okay in the eyes of union leadership/UPS?

I disagree with it being okay because the light duty employee is not always attached to the supervisor. Meaning, they move the employee around to other supervisors throughout the shift while the previous babysitter continues to work. This makes it very difficult to track and file as they play hot potato with the hourly. Like anything, this is exploited in the give an inch take a mile philosophy of UPS management.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
I wonder what would happen if there were a special presentation to shareholders about exactly how much money is paid out in supervisors working grievance settlements and over 9.5 triple time penalties.

probably the same thing if the Teamsters stopped protecting production

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Are you personally saying it is okay in your eyes or okay in the eyes of union leadership/UPS?

I disagree with it being okay because the light duty employee is not always attached to the supervisor. Meaning, they move the employee around to other supervisors throughout the shift while the previous babysitter continues to work. This makes it very difficult to track and file as they play hot potato with the hourly. Like anything, this is exploited in the give an inch take a mile philosophy of UPS management.
If a supervisor is working and there is no hourly present, then it is a legit grievance. What you are describing is fairly creative but doesn't change the fact it is a grievance to anyone paying attention. ;)

UnconTROLLed

perfection
They would applaud, since it's a small but important reason profits are through the roof.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

As an investor do you really care how the end result was achieved? All you are concerned about is performance.

fightingthegoodfight

Our supervisor just dosent seem to get it! He is still unloading, helping, pulling, spa-ing, sorting...it seems like every day we are one man down. There is no one on the extra work list ( we run a 10-12 man preload and a 4 man local sort) but with just one man down all 3 SUPS feel the need to do what ever they can...grievances have been filed week after week but they still continues to work. Everyone is fed up with being with out any hourlies on stand-by. Managment would rather work their SUPS than hire but at what point will the union step in and make them hire more.

This is a very tiring process and with only 10 guys its just us 2 stewards who even care about this stuff but were NOT backing down. But By doing so it creates tension between other preloaders and SUPS and also creates tension between us (as stewards) and other preloaders. How can we make more people care because right now everyone wants to just shut up and not get involved and they are sick of us stiring up a storm because then they feel effected. (Misload write-ups ect...)

UGH #unionstewardproblem

konsole

The company will only ever get serious about supervisors working when the amount they pay out in grievances really starts to hurt their wallet. Paying out a few grievances may be nice for those few teamsters that are getting the money, but its peanuts for the company. Its not the supervisors that are breaking a contract agreement, its the company that is. Supervisors arent bound by the union contract, that is between the union and higher management of the company. Supervisors just do what their management tells them and management tells them to work. Every supervisor that I have asked to stop working, but continues to work, has said the same thing which is they are just doing what their management tells them to do. So the issue is with upper management not holding to their side of the agreement. The only punishment I'm aware of is grievances for supervisors working will get paid by the company. As long as the company pays out legitimate supervisors working grievances I don't think anything else can be done. Somewhere along the line someone in upper management figured out that having supervisors work outweighed the money payed out in a few grievances. Just continue to file the grievances and let the company continue to provide the opportunity to make some extra money.

Steward06

Sups are not allowed to do any hourly work unless all other options have been exausted. You need to first ask sup if they need a hand with that? If they say no watch them work then file a sup working grievance asking to be paid for all time you saw them work. It will not stop them from working, but it's free money.... UPS has enough to give away

anonymous4

Today on the twi shift, they call supervisors working once again. Yesterday was the same story. Act of god. How do you even begin to fight this when they "officially" announce supervisors can work night after night?

Everybody can call off!!!!!!Lets see how good the S.t.U..P.i..d.s..can do...Its contract year !!! everybody needs to stick together!!!If your boss wants to work...quit working.. stand there and watch him or her and say you can work for me!!!