What would have you done?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
No good deed goes unpunished.
Lita_gets_a_spanking_by_peskinhead.gif

You like being punished....lol

thedownhillEXPRESS

I agree that most of the time it's the ones who have the least to offer actually doing the offering.
I was told a long time ago to just take the money,they wouldn't offer if they didn't have it.On the other hand in this case with an elderly person,they may be a little confused or unsure of what to offer to show appreciation and might over shoot to be on the safe side.
You did the right thing.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
If it was a couple bucks maybe, but I'd still say that was not necessary. A 50 dollar tip from a big company at Christmas time why not? But an elderly person on a fixed income no way.

You did the right thing Dezguy

whenIgetthere

A couple of months ago, I was at a DSR P1 stop. It was a FedEx envelope. When the woman (I'd say late 70's) signed for the package and said can you hold on a minute and walked back into the house with my power pad, and me still, holding the envelope. After two or three minutes, I was about to ring the doorbell again, she returns and hands me back the power pad with a five dollar bill, I turned it down, because she probably thought it was expected. Granted I could use a raise but not at the expense of someone who needs the money more than I do.

Express Courier

If it was 50 bucks I would've taken it probably. I've turned down 5 dollars a bunch of times but 50? I would think that she can afford it if she was giving out 50, and I would've taken it.

She probably scored a bunch of life insurance money to live off of. This how I would probably justify it in my mind to make me feel better lol.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

At my old station I was told to NEVER enter a house due to liability issues no matter what.
Once again FedEx afraid of getting sued.

It's the same on our side but as adults we have the ability to assess each situation, as no two are the same, before deciding whether to enter the home or not. If I knock on the door and someone yells "come in" because they are too damn lazy to get their ass off the couch I leave the pkg at the door and go on to the next stop. In this case the lady signed for the package and then politely asked if the courier could help. The courier could have politely refused, citing company policy, and it would have ended there. Yeah, the lady would have had to figure out how to get the item in to the basement, but that would have been her concern, not ours.

I have no problem helping those who truly need and appreciate it.

I do have a problem with those who feel that they are entitled.

dezguy

Never too proud to accept an offered gratuity, I've got a family to feed.

I have a family to feed as well but if it comes at a cost of someone not eating at all, no thanks. My kids will still get food in their bellies regardless of whether or not I get a nice tip. I'm not so certain that customer would have been able to feed herself had she given me that tip.

SmithBarney

You would accept a $50 tip from an elderly woman who is obviously on a fixed income?
I have a family to feed as well but if it comes at a cost of someone not eating at all, no thanks. My kids will still get food in their bellies regardless of whether or not I get a nice tip. I'm not so certain that customer would have been able to feed herself had she given me that tip.

Dezguy, I'm sorry nowhere did this "elderly lady" produce a tax return stating she was poor or on a fixed income. She felt the extra effort put forth by you was worth an extra $50. Clearly she's made it this far in life to be able to determine "by herself" what the value of a dollar is to her. While I'd never expect a tip or reward for doing my job, if someone feels my efforts are valuable to them, whether it's a bottle of water, or $50. I deliver to many elderly people, and many ok ALOT of them live well below their means, some live in trailers, or mobile home parks, or even nasty shacks, but I know a few that are loaded, and most are very comfortable. Don't judge a book by it's cover, many of the elderly today have lived through rough times, through wars, and they know how to live well, without spending all their money(unlike today's youth). Good for you if you wanted to save face, and be the nice guy, but chances are she has the money...

Upstate, now as a UPS driver(I was one several years back) about all I accepted was food, making $55k+ a year(I was still in progression) I had no need for extra cash although as you know around christmas some rts do well in the tip department.
Couriers at FDX with less than 15yrs are making a 1/3-1/2 of what UPS drivers are making.(BTW I don't think we should make what UPS drivers make, as it's not the same job but I do think we should hit the current TOPOUT sooner)

Cheers! Now I'm off to spend the $20 I got today from a bum on the street.
after I delivered his new Macbook.

piggybank

damn where do you guys get all this time to help people out like that? if i spend more than 2 mins at a stop my mgr shoves my gap report in my face asking what i was doing at that stop for 4 mins.