what would you do

P

pickup

Oh god stop me I can't help it this is reallly a good one.

Why is there no CSI West Virginia?

No dental records and dna samples don't help one bit

Oh , god, I am going to hit the "submit reply " button now

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Actually I don't think being a bigot is an actual crime in it's self. However, causing harm to another person because you are a bigot is. There is a large gap between physically hurting someone and bruising their feelings.
Being a bigot is not a crime, but it is morally wrong. Acting on that bigotry is a crime. So while one may be a crime, and the other not, both are wrong values.

And I would submit the following. It would be very hard for you to be a racist without being a bigot first.

Anyway, all that aside, with "hate crimes" being expanded to what they are, it will be a federal crime to look at someone wrong before too long.

Crazy world.

And I guess my background is somewhat different than most, having family that survived the black hole in history called WW2.

d

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member

You have 30 minutes to delete your own postings................................., nah I never do either:happy2:

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
STUGly stated : Yeah, a real dead hero! (no offense, 555) Like I said, not everyone is you. You can't go haywire every time someone is attacked, abused or hurt. You'll drive yourself crazy if you try to police the world. You are not God. There are people in this world that need to fend for themselves. How about saying a prayer for the people around you, in advance. Maybe things like this will be prevented. It's better than flying off the handle at every occurrence of "evil". This too is just my humble opinion.

help, steven, there is a pickpocket on the L train, do something. (I refering to a story that steven once relayed where he risked his life to thwart some pickpockets. Almost trading life and limb in exchange for someone else keeping their property
That was actually the number 4 train and I was all of 22 at the time. I have learned, after many experiences and by the grace of God, that I am not the police, nor am I the Savior of the world. Though given the same circumstance, I may react in similar fashion, though I do have different insight today due to the fact that I'M GROWN UP.

What I meant in my post was........the things we are not in control of. In Danny's story about the abducted woman, it sounded like he was angry that no one stopped/called the police as well as not being able to be there to save her, himself. Face it, things are going to happen. They will happen in front of us and nowheres near us. Sometimes we will respond and sometimes we won't. We are human. We make mistakes. Sometimes we take chances and sometimes we don't. Sometimes we call someone on their foolish words/jokes, sometimes we don't.

I learned a long time ago that I am not in control of everything that happens in this world. It didn't come easy, but I did finally learn the lesson. I'll use my family as an example. I won't be there to rescue my children from all the scrapes/mistakes and foolish things they will do. When I can be there and assist, I will, but being human, limits my life saving potential.

Again, I don't expect everyone that reads this post to feel the same as I do. We are all human but are not all of the same mind. Feel free to be who you are and think what you want. Again, JMHO, as always.

Braveheart

If the black driver reports it then you need to back him 100%.

On the other hand if he does not then he is a forgiving soul that does not want to cost someone there job for their ignorant mouth then let it go.

We all say stupid things to or in front of people from time to time. I would make the loser apologize personally. Then tell him his mouth almost cost him his job and to keep it shut from now on.

I would back the black fellow with whatever he wanted me to do. All men are created equal period.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Dil

Im sorry, I must have been posting while you posted, so I did not see your post until just now.

The nuff said was concerning this thread and the contents. There was nothing you said or anyone else, that "pissed me off".

But what was very interesting was upstates

That one requires some thoughtful mulling before/if I respond. But in the meantime, within the next few days, I will have the privilege to get into some court records and profile of a person with a different value system than mine.

It would seem that one of my customers was out mowing her lawn right next to a busy 4 lane. She noticed a person had pulled into her driveway.

She went to see if she could help, and he asked her for directions. She turned and pointed north, and when she turned back, he had a gun. He tried to talk her into going into the house, and when she refused, he pistol whipped her, knocking her glasses and shoes off. (remember, this is on the front lawn maybe 40 feet from the busy 4 lane, with nothing but open lawn) No one stopped to help, no one called the police.

Anyway, he ended up with her in the garage where he noticed her car, made her get in and drove to a secluded road and stopped. He then said " I guess you know whats next".

To make the rest a short story, she managed to get away and get to help. This guy with a value system different from mine and yours had done the same thing twice before, been caught, sentenced to 30 years to life both times, but yet was released both times after only serving a small portion of his time.

This time, because of the violent crimes, and the multiple times, they went after the death sentence, but let him plead to life without parole.

While I realize that everyone is entitled to their own belief system or values, where do you draw the line. I guess I need to reflect before I answer that one without seeming to lecture upstate.

And I guess the biggest correlation to this thread is that several people went by, maybe 100 or more, while the assault was going on, and yet no one did a damn thing. Maybe they felt the same way as city? Its not happening to me, so lemme run in after the fact and ask what I should have done.

Im sorry, its cut and dried. Yeah, there are times when a bystander that gets involved pays a hard price, but sometimes you just have to look past your own personal well being and do whats right. Without having to take a poll to do it.

d
Danny, you are right in that you have to draw a line somewhere. And sometimes you do have to look past your own personal well being to do what is right. I guess, ultimately, where to draw the line has to be each individuals choice.

iowa boy

This to me seems like a classic case of the pot calling the kettle black.

A demerit to you.:happy-very:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
bigot - Definition

(n.)One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.

Dictionary.com · The American Heritage® Dictionary

Racism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Racism, by its simplest definition, is the belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism

I had to do it. Thank Danny. It's all his fault. LOL Until he posted
And I would submit the following. It would be very hard for you to be a racist without being a bigot first.[QUOTE/]
I hadn't really thought about it. I had to go look it up to see if there was really any difference. :happy-very:

Pickup
As for how many posts? My point was if the racial transgression of the story were replaced by another transgression that was not a hot button issue, this thread would have died by natural causes or lack of interest a long time ago.[QUOTE/]

It doesn't matter. We aren't talking about another transgression. We are talking about this one. There are 100's of threads in BC that have died a natural death and I'm guessing this one will as well, sooner or later.:surprised:

Steve
Yeah, a real dead hero! (no offense, 555) Like I said, not everyone is you. You can't go haywire every time someone is attacked, abused or hurt. You'll drive yourself crazy if you try to police the world. You are not God. There are people in this world that need to fend for themselves. How about saying a prayer for the people around you, in advance. Maybe things like this will be prevented. It's better than flying off the handle at every occurrence of "evil". This too is just my humble opinion.[QUOTE/]

That was more than just a little callous. IMO I understand what you were getting at but I don't think you needed to include the first part of that statement. :peaceful:

Trp
I agree that right is right and wrong is wrong and those are values that don't change. However the reactions and penalties do change because of the degree of differences in the two crimes. Actually I don't think being a bigot is an actual crime in it's self. However, causing harm to another person because you are a bigot is. There is a large gap between physically hurting someone and bruising their feelings.

I don't understand people that won't at very least pick up their cell phone and call 911 when they see someone else being physically attacked. I can kind of see why (with the way things are today) why they may not try to intervene directly. Two people could well lose their lives.
I also wonder how many of the passing motorist actually saw anything going on, not everyone is trained to "Get the Big Picture"...No I am not making a joke.

We have way too many judges in this country that will not give the maximum sentences to people like this scumbag. I am, BTW, in favor of the death penalty.[QUOTE/]

There may not be as large a gap as you think. Let's see, what would be a good example. Take, someone like my ex husband, who was a pro at verbal abuse. Someone who has to deal with this day in and day out suffers just as much as being physically abused. Maybe even more so. I know this is not exactly the same as racism, but it is a good point. It leaves emotional scars that really never go away. I know. (just a thought)

I agree on the calling of 911. To many people do not want to get invovled. BTW, I am all for the death penalty as well. :wink2:

bigot - Definition

(n.)One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.

Dictionary.com · The American Heritage® Dictionary

Racism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Source
Racism, by its simplest definition, is the belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism

I had to do it. Thank Danny. It's all his fault. LOL Until he posted
And I would submit the following. It would be very hard for you to be a racist without being a bigot first.[QUOTE/]
I hadn't really thought about it. I had to go look it up to see if there was really any difference. :happy-very:
Thank you, I was thinking of doing the same thing, you saved me some time.

<snip>

Steve
Yeah, a real dead hero! (no offense, 555) Like I said, not everyone is you. You can't go haywire every time someone is attacked, abused or hurt. You'll drive yourself crazy if you try to police the world. You are not God. There are people in this world that need to fend for themselves. How about saying a prayer for the people around you, in advance. Maybe things like this will be prevented. It's better than flying off the handle at every occurrence of "evil". This too is just my humble opinion.[QUOTE/]

That was more than just a little callous. IMO I understand what you were getting at but I don't think you needed to include the first part of that statement. :peaceful:
Don't worry, he didn't offend me, in fact I almost posted the same words in my post. I have always thought he acted heroically, but he is now dead. His Mother mourned his death until the day she passed.
<snip>

There may not be as large a gap as you think. Let's see, what would be a good example. Take, someone like my ex husband, who was a pro at verbal abuse. Someone who has to deal with this day in and day out suffers just as much as being physically abused. Maybe even more so. I know this is not exactly the same as racism, but it is a good point. It leaves emotional scars that really never go away. I know. (just a thought)

I agree 100% with what you said about mental abuse, I have seen it take it's toll on too many people and it is not a pretty thing. However, in the situation of this thread I don't think mental abuse is applicable. The man that was insulted handled the situation pretty well all on his own IMO. There was no need for the Calvary to come riding in with guns blazing. Simply being told that his back was covered was enough.

I agree on the calling of 911. To many people do not want to get invovled. BTW, I am all for the death penalty as well. :wink2:

Being a bigot is not a crime, but it is morally wrong. Acting on that bigotry is a crime. So while one may be a crime, and the other not, both are wrong values.

And I would submit the following. It would be very hard for you to be a racist without being a bigot first.
I agree, I personally feel that racism is a moral inefficiency that some people are indeed afflicted with. It can manifest it's self anywhere and come from any direction. White, snaggle toothed, confederate flag waving redneck Bubbas don't have a monopoly on racism. I believe it to be wrong.
But Danny, everyone has their own values that determine their morals, we don't all have the same compass guiding us. I think your's and mine are pretty much the same basically, with just minor differences in cause and effect.

Anyway, all that aside, with "hate crimes" being expanded to what they are, it will be a federal crime to look at someone wrong before too long.

Crazy world.
I have a problem with "hate crime" laws as such, IMO that keeps the racism alive and pertinent in our daily lives when we should be doing everything we can to keep racism out of the equation. We already have laws against murder, why do we need to have another one covering the very same act? It makes no sense.

And I guess my background is somewhat different than most, having family that survived the black hole in history called WW2.
I'm not sure what you mean about the "black hole" in history?

d
It is a crazy world and getting worse by the day it seems.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Trp, I know it technically does not apply to this particular situation. It was just a side thought. Verbal abuse, be it racism or not, is wrong. And isn't verbal abuse between a man and woman just another form of racism? Again, just my thoughts. :wink2: (isn't it just a minor difference in cause and effect?)

It sounds like we, you me danny and you to Steven (just to name a few) have a very strong moral compass guiding us. That is a good thing. :happy-very:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
it sounded like he was angry that ...... not being able to be there to save her, himself

Thankyou Dr Stug, for the professional phyc evaluation.:wink2:

If that is what you got from my post, then either I need to post it again, or you misread.

I am in no way saying that city should have

1. become physically active against the stupid driver
2. Gone running to management with the issue

What I would suggest is that city could have

Hey man, what is wrong with you. That comment is very racist, and that type of behavior is not tolerated here. Not only that, that type of statement is against the law.

I would have then asked for the guys name, company, and for a very quick and sincere apology. Depending on the response, I would either turn it over to my fellow employee for resolution, or if he refused to apologize, I would then take it to management for them to deal with.

At that point he is either a stupid person that let his mouth outrun his brain and we end up with an apology, or someone that has some really deep issues that we dont want in our buildings or system to begin with.

d

Trp, I know it technically does not apply to this particular situation. It was just a side thought. Verbal abuse, be it racism or not, is wrong. And isn't verbal abuse between a man and woman just another form of racism? Again, just my thoughts. :wink2: (isn't it just a minor difference in cause and effect?)

It sounds like we, you me danny and you to Steven (just to name a few) have a very strong moral compass guiding us. That is a good thing. :happy-very:
Well now, verbal abuse between a man and woman could be racist but only if they are different races. But it would defiantly be sexist and most of the time spousal abuse. I do see where you are coming from though and yeah it's wrong. Anytime one demeans another it is wrong in my books. I have been guilty of demeaning people on this very board and truthfully I was wrong in doing that. But sometimes ya just gotta tell a maroon he/she is a maroon.
I see a moral character in most of the posters I read here, some don't have the same values that I have and that just makes them wrong in my opinion. I'm sure they think the same way about my values. I think most everyone believes that their values are the right ones to have, or they would change.
There are people that I know whose morals are so far from mine that I can not be friends with them without lowering my personal values, I won't do that. I won't be friends with some guy that thinks smacking his wife around is the proper thing to do. I will, and have, hung out with drunks that shouldn't be drinking at all. I will hang around someone that wears a confederate flag on his shirt unless he thinks black people are inferior because they are black. Morals and personal values are probably the most personal aspects of peoples lives.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Well now, verbal abuse between a man and woman could be racist but only if they are different races. But it would defiantly be sexist and most of the time spousal abuse. I do see where you are coming from though and yeah it's wrong. Anytime one demeans another it is wrong in my books. I have been guilty of demeaning people on this very board and truthfully I was wrong in doing that. But sometimes ya just gotta tell a maroon he/she is a maroon.
I see a moral character in most of the posters I read here, some don't have the same values that I have and that just makes them wrong in my opinion. I'm sure they think the same way about my values. I think most everyone believes that their values are the right ones to have, or they would change.
There are people that I know whose morals are so far from mine that I can not be friends with them without lowering my personal values, I won't do that. I won't be friends with some guy that thinks smacking his wife around is the proper thing to do. I will, and have, hung out with drunks that shouldn't be drinking at all. I will hang around someone that wears a confederate flag on his shirt unless he thinks black people are inferior because they are black. Morals and personal values are probably the most personal aspects of peoples lives.
Very well said. There are times when I wish I could orate as well as you and some others do. It is not my forte. You do it very well.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Tpl

wears a confederate flag on his shirt unless he thinks black people are inferior because they are black.

I have a conundrum with that statement.

What would you do if the guy wearing the shirt with the flag was black....?

Not joking, have seen two of them over the last couple of years.

d

over9five

Staff member
Tpl

I have a conundrum with that statement.

What would you do if the guy wearing the shirt with the flag was black....?

Not joking, have seen two of them over the last couple of years.

d

I once saw a black man wearing a Ku Klux Klan robe.

<oh wait, that was Blazing Saddles>

cdh77511

I would not report it personally. I have driver's call me stuff like white boy all the time. That's nothing though. I know one guy who will say things like," friend#$K Y*U or *** is taking you so long to load that truck" That's just the beginning of what he says. I'm used to it though. UPS hires a lot of characters and that behavior is normal in our building. We've kinda gotten used to some guys acting like that. If I was asked about it and I were the witness, I would tell the truth of course. I think some things are best resolved man to man. I'm not trying to get anybody fired. There are "other" ways of dealing with people like that to make sure they get the picture.