what would you do

P

pickup

Pickup

Your PM had nothing to do with it. I actually can read and form opinions on my own.:wink2: All your insight added was the fact that others have picked up on it as well. Which was already done by others before yours.

I personally dont have a thing against City.

d
Daniel

Good!, I am off the hook then. :wink2::smart:

Dil

Im sorry, I must have been posting while you posted, so I did not see your post until just now.

The nuff said was concerning this thread and the contents. There was nothing you said or anyone else, that "pissed me off".

But what was very interesting was upstates

That one requires some thoughtful mulling before/if I respond. But in the meantime, within the next few days, I will have the privilege to get into some court records and profile of a person with a different value system than mine.

It would seem that one of my customers was out mowing her lawn right next to a busy 4 lane. She noticed a person had pulled into her driveway.

She went to see if she could help, and he asked her for directions. She turned and pointed north, and when she turned back, he had a gun. He tried to talk her into going into the house, and when she refused, he pistol whipped her, knocking her glasses and shoes off. (remember, this is on the front lawn maybe 40 feet from the busy 4 lane, with nothing but open lawn) No one stopped to help, no one called the police.

Anyway, he ended up with her in the garage where he noticed her car, made her get in and drove to a secluded road and stopped. He then said " I guess you know whats next".

To make the rest a short story, she managed to get away and get to help. This guy with a value system different from mine and yours had done the same thing twice before, been caught, sentenced to 30 years to life both times, but yet was released both times after only serving a small portion of his time.

This time, because of the violent crimes, and the multiple times, they went after the death sentence, but let him plead to life without parole.

While I realize that everyone is entitled to their own belief system or values, where do you draw the line. I guess I need to reflect before I answer that one without seeming to lecture upstate.

And I guess the biggest correlation to this thread is that several people went by, maybe 100 or more, while the assault was going on, and yet no one did a damn thing. Maybe they felt the same way as city? Its not happening to me, so lemme run in after the fact and ask what I should have done.

Im sorry, its cut and dried. Yeah, there are times when a bystander that gets involved pays a hard price, but sometimes you just have to look past your own personal well being and do whats right. Without having to take a poll to do it.

d
Comparing a verbal ,non-threatening statement to physical violence is totally ridiculous.
The pass-by and ignore act is indeed much worse than what City or Upstate or anyone else even inferred, it's not even in the same ball park. Sure you can quote statements made by many people on here, me included, to try and show how it is the same thing, but you and anyone else with a brain can see through that illogical logic.

Not that it matters, but I have personally been an interrupting factor twice in my lifetime. Luckily for me neither time did the perpetrator have a gun.
I had a cousin that wasn't so lucky, he's dead now as a result of his heroic efforts.

P

pickup

Dil
his time.

This time, because of the violent crimes, and the multiple times, they went after the death sentence, but let him plead to life without parole.

d

I've never heard of , at least in the united states, a death penalty being threatened for anybody who didn't kill someone, not even in texas when bush was gov.. Really?

Last edited by a moderator:
P

pickup

LOL, ya think? Race was the main factor in the whole story. If it wasn't for that, there would have been no thread at all.

Really the main issue was other than race. The story could have easily been the same three guys in the bathroom. and as one(#1) is washing up, the other one(#2) attempts to steal the wallet protruding from the back pocket of the guy washing up. He gets caught in the act and guy #1 grabs back his wallet and says 'that is wrong, that is stealing, I have a witness (guy #3)and if you do it again, I will report you"

Guy #3 comes onto browncafe and starts a thread asking "what would you do? , Should I have reported this? not from my standpoint , I mean if you were guy #1 , would you report it.

by the way before somebody says it, i dont think I should report it......its not my business but if the guy #1 was to report it and they did ask me if i heard what he said i would tell them exactly what the guy said

to me, the whole "dont snitch on your union brothers" thing goes out the window when they disrespect the hell out of 1 or more of their union brothers"

There I pretty much took the same situation and matter of concern of citydriver and slightly changed it to reflect the original posting.

Even if the question was ignored and we started focusing on the act of larceny, nobody would have been offended here and we wouldn't have this thread living past its expiration date which should have been about 10 posts , maximum

feeder53

ADKtrails
If it were me, the first time I would take him aside and councel him on the remarks, and explain that the next time it will be a written complaint and if that fails I would ask for his removal. It is my workplace too.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Feeder, why did you make us wade through 126 posts before you decided to post what is by far the best approach to this situation? I enjoy your common sense and posts based upon your years of military and trucking experience. Dave.

P

pickup

But if hes a true old school good-ole boy, he may not have enough teeth to need a toothbrush.:surprised:

double demerit on playing on southern stereotypes and for not realizing that your post was pretty much what hoaxster was implying

P

pickup

I think I got the hang of this now, make me a moderator so I can police these out of control hooligans on browncafe.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Trpl

and that is why I would want someone like you to have my back, because you would act if you were confronted, and not take a poll on what would be the right thing to do.

As for your cousin, while others might not think so, he would be a real hero in my book.

As far as the examples go, wrong is wrong, right is right. REgardless of your personal values, somethings dont change. (of course the way things are changing these days......)

All you are aruguing is degrees of differences, the principle is still the same. All those people drove by, and no one stopped, no one called 911, no one got involved until her husband got home several hours later and found her broken glasses and flippers, and some blood spatter on the driveway.

a death penalty being threatened for anybody who didn't kill someone, not even in texas when bush was gov
Pickup, I have yet to see the actual court documents, but that was what the husband relayed to me.

His wife is now an activist in making the court systems pass sentences that actually mean something. Once I get the actual documents to read, will let you know the particulars as to why.

d

Trpl

and that is why I would want someone like you to have my back, because you would act if you were confronted, and not take a poll on what would be the right thing to do.

As for your cousin, while others might not think so, he would be a real hero in my book.

As far as the examples go, wrong is wrong, right is right. REgardless of your personal values, somethings dont change. (of course the way things are changing these days......)

All you are aruguing is degrees of differences, the principle is still the same. All those people drove by, and no one stopped, no one called 911, no one got involved until her husband got home several hours later and found her broken glasses and flippers, and some blood spatter on the driveway.

I agree that right is right and wrong is wrong and those are values that don't change. However the reactions and penalties do change because of the degree of differences in the two crimes. Actually I don't think being a bigot is an actual crime in it's self. However, causing harm to another person because you are a bigot is. There is a large gap between physically hurting someone and bruising their feelings.

I don't understand people that won't at very least pick up their cell phone and call 911 when they see someone else being physically attacked. I can kind of see why (with the way things are today) why they may not try to intervene directly. Two people could well lose their lives.
I also wonder how many of the passing motorist actually saw anything going on, not everyone is trained to "Get the Big Picture"...No I am not making a joke.

Pickup, I have yet to see the actual court documents, but that was what the husband relayed to me.

His wife is now an activist in making the court systems pass sentences that actually mean something. Once I get the actual documents to read, will let you know the particulars as to why.

We have way too many judges in this country that will not give the maximum sentences to people like this scumbag. I am, BTW, in favor of the death penalty.

d

double demerit on playing on southern stereotypes and for not realizing that your post was pretty much what hoaxster was implying
Three demerits for both of y'all for assuming everyone that owns a cap with the Stars & Bars is a toothless racist. Geeez that's almost as bad as what the Bubba said to City's friend.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Ok..who are you saying is a racist?? LOL..
I can tell you are pretty heated and I apologize if my remarks have come off as judgemental or as a personal attack. I don't know you and I am in no position to tell you anything.
I don't think you being silent is racist. I questioned your silence. I did go back and "read the topic" and like you said, you never asked the question from your perspective..so again I apologize.

Speaking personally I have dealt with racism at UPS and to date I have not reported it. Frankly I don't give a XXXX what anyone thinks of me and if I waged war on everyone who told black jokes in front of me..I would be worn out from fighting. BUT if I witnessed racially derogatory comments directed at a co-worker..black, white, asian, hispanic..you better believe I would say something to the person throwing out the insults. Not everyone has thick skin like me, and whether I choose to deal with it or not is ME..other people may not be that strong. In my opinion speaking up is an honorable thing to do. If that person wants to take it to another level..well that is on them.

You did you. Why you posted a scenario such as this when you clearly had no interest made me question your motive. I guess I didn't understand your point. But you stated your position..and while I don't agree, I can respect your viewpoint.

~Belle
How about, other people may not feel that strongly or as strongly as you feel about the situation? You are right, that, is your opinion. Not really saying that much here. Just trying to point out that this is your opinion, which we are all entitled to have and to disagree with if we so choose.

I've never heard of , at least in the united states, a death penalty being threatened for anybody who didn't kill someone, not even in texas when bush was gov.. Really?
Me either. What state did this take place in, so we can research their laws.

Really the main issue was other than race. The story could have easily been the same three guys in the bathroom. and as one(#1) is washing up, the other one(#2) attempts to steal the wallet protruding from the back pocket of the guy washing up. He gets caught in the act and guy #1 grabs back his wallet and says 'that is wrong, that is stealing, I have a witness (guy #3)and if you do it again, I will report you"

Guy #3 comes onto browncafe and starts a thread asking "what would you do? , Should I have reported this? not from my standpoint , I mean if you were guy #1 , would you report it.

by the way before somebody says it, i dont think I should report it......its not my business but if the guy #1 was to report it and they did ask me if i heard what he said i would tell them exactly what the guy said

to me, the whole "dont snitch on your union brothers" thing goes out the window when they disrespect the hell out of 1 or more of their union brothers"

There I pretty much took the same situation and matter of concern of citydriver and slightly changed it to reflect the original posting.

Even if the question was ignored and we started focusing on the act of larceny, nobody would have been offended here and we wouldn't have this thread living past its expiration date which should have been about 10 posts , maximum
Now we're being limited on what we can say and how many posts make a thread?

How much counseling does a guy with a Confederate cap going to need?
The same amount as someone from CALIFORNIA!:wink2:

Trpl

he would be a real hero in my book.

d
Yeah, a real dead hero! (no offense, 555) Like I said, not everyone is you. You can't go haywire every time someone is attacked, abused or hurt. You'll drive yourself crazy if you try to police the world. You are not God. There are people in this world that need to fend for themselves. How about saying a prayer for the people around you, in advance. Maybe things like this will be prevented. It's better than flying off the handle at every occurrence of "evil". This too is just my humble opinion.

P

pickup

stugmeister said " Now we're being limited on what we can say and how many posts make a thread?"

Now, Now, I did not say anything about being limited on what we can say. But that happens to be true. I'll just type in the word **** and the word **** and we will see the final result. If I say something really nasty and repugnant it will be bumped by the moderators. So yeah there are limits ,some are self imposed and some are imposed by others.

As for how many posts? My point was if the racial transgression of the story were replaced by another transgression that was not a hot button issue, this thread would have died by natural causes or lack of interest a long time ago.

P

pickup

STUGly stated : Yeah, a real dead hero! (no offense, 555) Like I said, not everyone is you. You can't go haywire every time someone is attacked, abused or hurt. You'll drive yourself crazy if you try to police the world. You are not God. There are people in this world that need to fend for themselves. How about saying a prayer for the people around you, in advance. Maybe things like this will be prevented. It's better than flying off the handle at every occurrence of "evil". This too is just my humble opinion.

help, steven, there is a pickpocket on the L train, do something. (I refering to a story that steven once relayed where he risked his life to thwart some pickpockets. Almost trading life and limb in exchange for someone else keeping their property

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
But if hes a true old school good-ole boy, he may not have enough teeth to need a toothbrush.:surprised:
Did you know the toothbrush was invented in W. Virginia?
If it had been invented anywhere else they would have called it a teethbrush....ba-da-bump...