What would you have done? More important, what will you do in the future?

kingOFchester

When I was driving Saturday's, I would of done what the OP did..... However, now this is how it probably would of played out:

Receiver: "Do you think laying on the horn is going to get me here any quicker?"
King: "We are required to honk horn every 3-5 seconds while backing up"
Receiver: "Starting now, you need to walk to the bell and ring it"
king: "Can I have your last name?"
Receiver: "Why?"
King: "because I am sending the packages back to the shipper as refused by receiver"

In situations like this, to date, I have always gotten a sig with no complaints or concerns.
Just say it calmly and in a nice tone,

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
the op did the right thing,, alot of tough guys here that would rts the pkg,, i never knew it,, its a shame we cant all swap problems because we seem to know the answer to everyone elses

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I would have done what was asked and been on my way. Saturday Deliveries are where the $$ is at.

however the next time that business has a Saturday delivery, I would (when possible) make that stop last on my route, from now on. Even take my 10 minute break right outside in the lot prior to delivering it, at 11:59.

Saturdays are nice like that. ;)

DS

Fenderbender
When I was driving Saturday's, I would of done what the OP did..... However, now this is how it probably would of played out:

OK I changed it a bit with yet another scenario

Receiver: "Do you think laying on the horn is going to get me here any quicker?"
DS: "yes and it worked quite well""
DS: "Going forward I will do just that,but this time,since this pkg is important to somebody,that's why they requested Saturday delivery,either you sign for it now,or someone will be back Monday "
Receiver: "Fine,bring it back Monday"
DS: "ok its on your head"
DS: "ok, have a nice day"

In situations like this, to date, I have always gotten a sig with no complaints or concerns.

Re-Raise

King: "We are required to honk horn every 3-5 seconds while backing up"
king: "Can I have your last name?"
Receiver: "Why?"
King: "because I am sending the packages back to the shipper as refused by receiver"

I agree with this and probably would have added that my concern for the safety of anyone who could be crushed by between my package car and the dock outweighs any damage I may have caused to his very sensitive ears.

satellitedriver

I guess the regular driver does not honk when backing up to the dock.
As a 24 yr driver I have met many small people trying to feel better about themselves exerting what little power they have.
I always try and give them that grace.
I will not stand for physical or verbal abuse from any one, but, I will respect the customers wishes.
UPS pays me 50 cents a minute to walk over and ring a bell and the one that answers the door probably makes 17 cents a minute.
I would never RTS a package without direct refusal.
On the job, the only emotion I convey is compassion.
Only on BC do I reveal what an ass I can be.

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
Do what the man says; you are not doing UPS a favor by showing up to work, you are doing your job. If, as a result of doing your job, the customer of the company you work for gives you a bunch of crap and tells you to come in the building another way, do it.

Maybe that particular persons wife cheated on him the night before, or maybe his dog got ran over by a car, or maybe he is just a giant buttwipe. Regardless, it's what you're paid for, right? If I am the taxman, I can't go back to Uncle Sam and tell him "Well, this guy *really* didn't want to pay taxes, and plus he was a giant butthole to boot."

edit: I hasten to add that this is just my opinion; it is just one out of many.

What if driver's wife just cheated on him night before, or drivers grandma just got ran over by a raindear? Maybe Driver is a buttwipe as well? Would it b different then.

I would tell dock boy the facts that delivery attempt is now and you and he are here NOW. WE MUST HONK WHILE BACKING!!!!!!!!!!! If he wants to play games and not sugn them it's refused and future I will go to man door 5o feet away but he here with me now and if not sign then he will have 2nd attempt 2morrow. Yes, I have done it. If he can't understand you didn't know and you will follow that way next attempt thene Tell em it's called common curtousy!!!!!!!!!!!

You arent allowed to D.R. a commercial stop.

rod

Retired 22 years
Sounds like "dock boy" had an attitude because he had to work Saturday. I probably would have walked over to the door and left a delivery notice. It would have been worth a butt chewing just to be able to drive away with a smile on your face.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
I'm a Saturday Air Driver. Today I was delivering to a businness in an Industrial Park. I back up to the dock, following methods honk the horn every 3 to 5 seconds. Open rear doors and knock on the dock door. after a few minutes the receiver asked me if I thought laying on the horn like that was supposed to get him to the door any faster. He further told me that I would have to walk to a pedestrian door some 50 feet away and ring a door bell to make the delivery, starting now. Keep in mind we are face to face and I am ready to make this delivery now. I have the package ready and I'm trying to hand him the DIAD to sign.

His indication was he wasn't going to sign until I walked to their pedestrian door and ring a bell. What did I do, bit my tongue, deliver, MC Man, check mark.
If it was really a few minutes (and not just that it seemed that long) and no one opened door, NI1, leave infonotice. Reattempt later. Got to manage your time. You don't know if the clerk is on a coffee or extended bathroom break or whatever.
If I was there that long and the receiving clerk then showed up with the 'use that door, ring that bell' stuff; explain: trained to sound horn when backing for safety, add that it quite likely it is also to get the attention of the customer, and that my compliance is monitored. Give him my name and tell him to call 1-800-PICKUPS with a complaint. Let him know I will keep those instructions in mind for future Saturday deliveries I have there, and ask if he'll sign here and now, and that I would be happy to take the package over there. If he really wanted me to go to the other door and ring the bell, I'd service cross, NI1, stop complete. Then go to that door, resheet, ring that bell, get sig., stop complete.
Refused and go on your way.
Around here, instructed to use only NI1 & CL1 on Saturday. I imagine anything else pops up on someone's report, somewhere.
... WHY DID YOU BACK UP ???? First rule of backing you need to follow avoid all unnecessary backing. Backing up to a dock for one package is unnecessary and took you longer than it would have to just walk off the stop.
You (Bigmistake) should always be prepared to answer this type of question from a supe/mgr. Imagine they're OJSing you, or for some reason you're being asked about it in the office on Monday. Picturing the scenario in my head, I can think of reasons why backing may have been the best choice. You were there, hopefully you could answer this question if it came up, for whatever reason.
You arent allowed to D.R. a commercial stop.
Unless it's shipper release?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Many of our Saturday drivers are fairly new (< 5 years, a few only drive Saturdays and do not even work for UPS otherwise).

A quick tap on the horn is necessary when backing. Barely audible. I notice some drivers absolutely LAY on the horn every 1 second when backing and it really isn't necessary. 3-5 seconds, a very quick tap.

Also, no matter the content of instructions of package - if it goes to a business our ctr wants a sig.

worldwide

I'm a Saturday Air Driver. Today I was delivering to a businness in an Industrial Park. I back up to the dock, following methods honk the horn every 3 to 5 seconds. Open rear doors and knock on the dock door. after a few minutes the receiver asked me if I thought laying on the horn like that was supposed to get him to the door any faster. He further told me that I would have to walk to a pedestrian door some 50 feet away and ring a door bell to make the delivery, starting now. Keep in mind we are face to face and I am ready to make this delivery now. I have the package ready and I'm trying to hand him the DIAD to sign.

His indication was he wasn't going to sign until I walked to their pedestrian door and ring a bell. What did I do, bit my tongue, deliver, MC Man, check mark.

You did the right thing. Indicating that the receiver refused the package would be the wrong thing to do--he did not refuse the package. He asked you to make the deliver to another door 50 feet away. Since this is not your daily delivery location, perhaps the pedestrian door is the normal delivery location. Regardless, this customer paid the shipper for this item and the shipper made the choice to use UPS for the delivery. Why risk losing business? What's to be gained by indicating "refused"?

QKRSTKR

You did the right thing. Indicating that the receiver refused the package would be the wrong thing to do--he did not refuse the package. He asked you to make the deliver to another door 50 feet away. Since this is not your daily delivery location, perhaps the pedestrian door is the normal delivery location. Regardless, this customer paid the shipper for this item and the shipper made the choice to use UPS for the delivery. Why risk losing business? What's to be gained by indicating "refused"?

That's right. He didn't refuse package. If it's your first time at this address, now you know where to go next time. I'd love going out blind on a rte and go to wrong door for del. or P/U. People just stare at you. I ask is this where I'm suppose to be, or what door do I use. There are a lot of these type of guys out there.

Sat. air is a different animal, easy but you are to try and get rid of everything. Someone somewhere paid big money to have a pkg del. on a Sat. NI1 or CL1 very last resort. I use to always go the extra mile on Sat.

Hell, I use my horn at some places when I'm not going to dock. We are encouraged to use our horn more than we all do. Sat. air is a lot different. When I did that job and I pulled into a business that may be fairly large and have a reduced work force on Sat. I layed on the horn. If someone gets pissed to bad. A center manager isn't going to pull you in the office for using your horn. Probably pat u on back and say nice job. Oh wait, this is reality. You are suppose to make people aware that you are there. Next time, don't worry about the jerk, do what he says, smile. Let it role off your back.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
As a cover driver I hate idiots like "dock Boy." I like my revenge cold and with vengence. When dock idiots refuse to sign I simply say, "ok" and I am now done with this person! I then take the delivery, hopefully numerous, heavy packages on a 2-wheeler through the front door. I explain to the office personal or sales associates there (those that are 99.9% of the time "above" the dock boy) that the dock refused to sign and I figured that since they paid extra for Saturday delivery they really needed them. All the while unloading my 2-wheeler right in the front door in the great big middle of everything. If someone in the office starts to say something about them not going there I instantly inform them that the dock refused and my only other option at this point is to RTS.

Do it nicely, with no malice in your voice as you have now gone above and beyond to "help" the customer! I have never once, in 5 years had to touch the packages further. I always get a signature as well as a "thank you" by the office personel along with a promise that they will "deal" with the problem.

I promise you this idiot would never again pull that crap and every cover driver's life from that point on will be alot easier. Remember, ALWAYS be professional and polite to both the dock idiot and those in the front of the building

LagunaBrown

Don't make it hard, just walk the package to the front and get a signature......... It is nice to think to yourself that if you had a stick up your ass as far as "dock boy" does that you could use your awesome medical insurance and easily get it removed.

brown uk

I very rarely sound horn now as I have had several complaints. If UPS fitted audible reversing beepers to their vehicles like other carriers, this problem wouldn't arise. Same with sounding horn when arriving at a residental stop. I've been threatened with a brick through window If I did it again at 0800hrs.

kingOFchester

I have yet to RTS packages due to any situation like the above. Only RTS when I have been asked to....that said, I do use it from time to time when in situations like the OP. I have gone to an office where everyone has ignored me, would not tell me who to go to, everyone saying "I can't sign." After trying to no avail, I will then pull the RTS threat out of my bag of tricks......that when I get "oh, I will sign". Like I said, you act nice, smile and professional and ask for their last name with a smile so that I can send it back to the shipper as no one will sign.