What would you have done, Part II?

What would you have done?

• I would have retaped the box, accepted the package and done a favor for a friend.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It is none of my business what is in the package(s) that I pickup.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I was making a pickup at Staples today and noticed that one of the boxes appeared to be an old "booze box" which had all of the alcohol markings covered up. I picked it up and could hear what I thought was some sort of liquid when I shook the box. I then noticed that the return address was for a local wine shop (Staples uses their address but substitutes the consignee's name for theirs in the return address) which raised more red flags in my mind. I relayed my suspicions to the store manager and asked him to open the package so that we could inspect it. The package turned out to be a "care package" being sent from a father to his daughter; however, this one had a couple of bottles of Captain Morgan packed along with rolls of toilet paper and other sundry items. The father and daughter in this scenario are family friends. My daughter played softball with his daughter.

As we all know, alcohol, other than wine, is not allowed in our system. Shippers are not (supposed to) allowed to re-use alcohol boxes. We as drivers are tasked to ensure that we do not knowingly allow shipments of alcohol to get in to the system.

Here is my question: Would you have (politely) refused to accept the package or would you have retaped the box, picked up the package and done a favor for a friend?

I refused to accept the package.

balland chain

You did the right thing..If anything happened to that package, and it contents were discovered( and you knowing the contents) UPS could question you about this and hold you responsible..

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Good on You!

In my Center i'd have to answer the next morning on why i was so overallowed at the stop. My center team tells drivers to pick up all pieces and if we have questions on them to give them to the clerks. My center manager has said many times he dosent want to spend $48 an hour on overtime to solve a $10 an hour problem