what would you have said?

pkg-king

I was making a pick-up in an office yesterday and the customer was on the computer. While I'm scanning the end of day and getting ready to go out the door he yells, "look at this, you can make $27 per hour at UPS and don't need a college degree", then he asks "you don't make that much, do you?". At that point, everyone in the office turns their head to wait for my reply. I just told him that was inaccurate, I felt real uncomfortable. In hindsight I should have said "that must be an old article, we're up to $28 and change!" He was reading an article on yahoo.com about top paying jobs. What would you have said, or have you ever been asked point blank what you make and what do you say?

A

Anonymous Sheep

I would tell them I make $14/hr delivering packages, and another $14/hr to put up with bad management.

pakmule

A roller dog for lunch
I say I make a Teamsters Union negotiated hourly rate. Then I get the deer in the headlight look from them.

Cementups

Box Monkey
With the amount of people you encountered, i would have said, "Enough!" I will tel some if they ask sincerely. If it's juust someonebeing an ass, then screw them.

old brown shoe

30 year driver
I earn every penny of it and when your home watching TV after dinner I'm still out pounding the streets. I went to the school of hard knocks, much harder than college.

BigBrownSanta

UPS is always hiring. If you want to spend the next 5 - 7 years as a PT employee to get a chance at $27 an hour, knock yourself out. You might average $15 - $18 an hour over your career.

brownrodster

That's why I keep numerous photo copies of my final paystub from last year in my left breast pocket :happy-very:

It also gives me a great piece of paper to write my number on when I encounter young ladies while on the job :funny:

satellitedriver

I just smile and shrug my shoulders.
People ask me all the time about how much I make and I tell them I don't talk personal finance outside my family.
This either tic's them off or they back off from the question.
I have learned that if you tell someone else how much you make one of two things happens.
They are jealous or they feel sorry for you.
I was offered a job last week that paid 70k, plus commission, no benefits.
When I told him I couldn't take the pay cut, you should have seen the look on his face.
I do not judge people for how much they make and I will not be judged by that standard.
I would not do the jobs many people do for any amount of money.
Most people would not do what we do for the money we are paid.
They think they would, but I have seen too many come and go.

Griff

I was making a pick-up in an office yesterday and the customer was on the computer. While I'm scanning the end of day and getting ready to go out the door he yells, "look at this, you can make $27 per hour at UPS and don't need a college degree", then he asks "you don't make that much, do you?". At that point, everyone in the office turns their head to wait for my reply. I just told him that was inaccurate, I felt real uncomfortable. In hindsight I should have said "that must be an old article, we're up to $28 and change!" He was reading an article on yahoo.com about top paying jobs. What would you have said, or have you ever been asked point blank what you make and what do you say?

Simple, call their bluff. Ask them if they need an application or are they going to apply online. Works every time for me, they shut up real quick, put up or shut up. You'd think with the perception of the job the public has (roaming around making only right turns, navigation system telling us everything, with 4 letters to deliver at our leisure) you'd think people would be beating down the door for their free $28/hr.

brownrodster

. You'd think with the perception of the job the public has (roaming around making only right turns, navigation system telling us everything, with 4 letters to deliver at our leisure) you'd think people would be beating down the door for their free $28/hr.

I've encountered many people that would jump at the opportunity to do our job. But when I explain to them that they have to hire on as part time making 8.5$ an hour and wait many years they quickly lose interest.

rod

Retired 22 years
wow that much money to just drive around all day?

How many times have we all heard that one:happy2: ---------------- The Others never give you a hard time about pay when you walk into the their building soaking wet or with icesicles hanging from your mustash.

25yrvet

People just want the $$, not the job.
Some people have ticked me off by saying, "Wished I made 27 an hour". My reply is, "You just want the money, not the job". Another statement I've used is, "You compare what I do in an hour to what you do in an hour--- YOU get paid more for what you accomplish in that time than I do".

We've been through soo many temp & probationary drivers in this center the past 2 years that I'm convinced that more than 95% of the people in this county could not do this job

leastbest

LeastBest
I delivered to a woman for years and she was always amazed at how much I made. Once year she needed money so I let her jump during peak for me. She quit three days later and said I was underpaid.

What would I have said? One thing might have been, " No way I make $27 per hour." or " I sure wouldn't do this job for $26.95" or " If you believe everything you read on the internet,all you kids will born naked"