Whatever happened to . . .

rod

Retired 22 years
I only drove them a couple of times. The only thing I liked was the heater worked and the seats were softer.

When I first started we had 2 1966 Ford Econolines that had many many miles on them. They would get a new engine about every other year and sent back out. Every door on them rattled so much you would swear they were coming off the hinges. They were used on our 2 high mileage routes (275+ a day) -most of which was on washboard roads.

rod

Retired 22 years
I Actually bought one off those wore out bubble top economies. They stripped it down and sprayed it gray. I was going to make a camper out of it. Parked it down on the inlaws' ranch. 30 years later it got hauled to the scrap metal dealer.

I was always told that UPS would not sale a used package car to the public. They HAD to be scrapped. Apparently just another lie I was fed over the years. Imagine that.

oldngray

nowhere special
I was always told that UPS would not sale a used package car to the public. They HAD to be scrapped. Apparently just another lie I was fed over the years. Imagine that.

I also heard everything was scrapped. Maybe because Ford econolines are so common people didn't consider it a UPS vehicle.

rod

Retired 22 years
I also heard everything was scrapped. Maybe because Ford econolines are so common people didn't consider it a UPS vehicle.

I was always told the reason was that by the time UPS got rid of a vehicle it was beyond being made road worthy again. Ours were always driven until it wasn't safe to weld the frames anymore. The old P600's and P800's were driven into the ground.

Packmule

I Got mine for $20.00 back in 1979 or 80. I was a carwasher then. Not much $ for good campers! Shortly after that UPS came up with policy to scrap everything. Like everything else, the days when people took responsibility for their own choices went by the wayside and liabilities became the central concern.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
We had a mid eighties Chevy S10 pickup we used for running air. Most uncomfortable vinyl seats.
I remember when I ran air in early 90's I got to take my own personal car , and they paid me like 75 cents a mile , or something like that , on top of my air driver rate. It was a nice extra check per week! Plus I was in my own air conditioned , Bose stereo personal vehicle!!!! Ahhhhhh the good old days

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
-measuring chains
-Talk Listen ACT--TLA
-Thrift Plan

The TLA is now a lecture about how we screw UPS everyday. The thrift plan ending was the day they felt we were replaceable. As mentioned earlier. They were lined up at the door to try to work here. Now they just plain lie to the people. How great they are. REPLACEABLE work force. A shame

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Now they don't even tell you face to face how you screwed up. They just send you snarky little messages on the diad.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I remember when I ran air in early 90's I got to take my own personal car , and they paid me like 75 cents a mile , or something like that , on top of my air driver rate. It was a nice extra check per week! Plus I was in my own air conditioned , Bose stereo personal vehicle!!!! Ahhhhhh the good old days
I drove so many miles in my own truck doing airs that I had to change the oil monthly .
I had my own expense account for mileage & tolls . Which I get paid for monthly . So four weeks of payroll checks and then an extra check of equal amount per month .
They were very good days, indeed .