What's after seasonal driver?

Squeek

Summer Temp Driver
First, let me say good job to all of you drivers out there. I had no idea why you guys were paid so highly until I suffered through the sweaty crotch and scorching heat of this last summer. I worked my ass off, and gave Brown all I could.

I don't feel that $14.86 is enough to justify the kind of abuse I was put through during my stay. Forget 9.5. How about not getting a single day during the summer done in under 11? Except when they sent me home for a couple days the week of July 4th, when they just piled my packages into 4 other cars and called it a light day (yeah right, no missed NDA that week...).

I now have an opportunity to go back and do the seasonal position again. What I'd like to know is where the pay scale goes on the off chance that I'm hired after a second successful seasonal stay. Does it stay the same? I've heard stories of people that started as seasonal and, due to the company's circumstances and needs at the time, were then hired on and put straight into the big bucks.

I realize that people like me even asking this may be a kick in the teeth to any driver awaiting a seniority position, but I don't mean in any way to trample on anyone else here. Any advice you offer is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

SmithBarney

even if you are hired, your not put into the "big bucks" as you put it.
Progression is 2 to 2.5 years starts around 15, and works its way up to top rate which varies from area to area, but is around lets see... alot more ~26-28

The Brown Santa

Ping Pong Ball
As I understood it from a post here recently, I thought upon reaching seniority the pay went up to $16 and change, then after 1 year increase again etc....

D

damang

As I understood it from a post here recently, I thought upon reaching seniority the pay went up to $16 and change, then after 1 year increase again etc....

according to my contract.

starting pay 14.xx$. Seniority 15.75. 1 year 16.75. 2 years 18.90. 2.5 years 27.26.

Squeek

Summer Temp Driver
I see. Well, nobody's gonna catch me getting underpaid at $14.86 for two years just to catch some $75k carrot.

Thanks for the info!

By the way, about how much does the seasonal Feeder driver get paid?

satellitedriver

I see. Well, nobody's gonna catch me getting underpaid at $14.86 for two years just to catch some $75k carrot.

Thanks for the info!

By the way, about how much does the seasonal Feeder driver get paid?

Underpaid? Starting pay of $14.86 plus medical coverage and retirement benefits. That is more than the national average of wage earners. That $75k carrot tastes pretty good to me after 20 yrs. I am debt free, own land, house and cars. With alot of carrots growing in my 401k garden. So go ahead and try to start at the top but beware you will only be able to go down hill from there.

satellitedriver

Not sure about you, but seasonal drivers in my hub do not get paid health insurance, or retirement benefits. Nada, nothing......

I was referring to the carrot he was not willing to chase. I was a temporary seasonal hire and was laid off after peak. I was then hired and have reaped the benefits of chasing that carrot. He can to, if he is willing to stick it out.

Squeek

Summer Temp Driver
I was referring to the carrot he was not willing to chase. I was a temporary seasonal hire and was laid off after peak. I was then hired and have reaped the benefits of chasing that carrot. He can to, if he is willing to stick it out.
Congratulations to you for grabbing hold of an opportunity, and working hard for 20 years and having stuff.

I'm not willing to chase a carrot for 2 years, for two reasons:

1.) The carrot isn't big enough for what I have in mind.

2.) My opportunity cost of working for $15/hr for 2 years is greater than the benefit of the UPS carrot. In other words, I can build a business in 2 years that will pay me more, meanwhile costing me MUCH LESS in taxes.

I mean no insult whatsoever toward what you have worked hard for for 20 years. I am just not a person that wants to spend that much time being an employee.

MR_Vengeance

United Parcel Survivor
Congratulations to you for grabbing hold of an opportunity, and working hard for 20 years and having stuff.

2.) My opportunity cost of working for $15/hr for 2 years is greater than the benefit of the UPS carrot. In other words, I can build a business in 2 years that will pay me more, meanwhile costing me MUCH LESS in taxes.

I mean no insult whatsoever toward what you have worked hard for for 20 years. I am just not a person that wants to spend that much time being an employee.

smart move:thumbup1:

bod89lx

Good luck building a business in two years that will pay better than a driver job, cover your health care at no cost give you a pension and a 401K. Just like in training GET THE BIG PICTURE. I too am a seasonal drive and I am willing to do what ever it takes to get a full time job and after I get it I will work my rear off but get rewarded for it when I retire. I know it may take me a few years to get in and a few years to get to top of scale but I can wait.

satellitedriver

No offense taken. One thing you have maybe not have considered is that during the time I was chasing that carrot I also was building a business. You can do more than one thing at a time. You employ yourself, no matter where the money comes from. Good Luck. In business to succeed,
Early to bed
Early to rise
Work like Hell
And advertise.