What's Everyone reading??

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
I know we have a very diverse and intelligent group here. What are you currently reading or what good books can you recommend?

I'm currently reading Eric Schlosser's "Fast Food Nation". It's about the dark side of the Fast Food Industry...very good read!

My recommendations: Anything by Dan Brown of the Divinci Code fame. His other books are Angels & Demons and Digital Fortress. If you love fiction you'll love these!

my2cents

I just finished reading the Sea of Grey by Tom Chaffin. Its a fascinating story about a Confederate raider, whose primary mission was to prey on New England whaling ships during the Civil War. However, the greatest drama occurred once the crew of the Shenandoah realize the War is over and they in effect, become regarded as stateless pirates of the sea. In short order, the raider goes from the hunter to the hunted. In the end however, the ship manages to circumnavigate the globe and stirs up international intrigue.

Oddly enough, I learned about the raider while on a trip to Australia last year. The ship docked in Melbourne for three weeks for repairs and the crew were treated like rock stars during their stay. I believe many Australians viewed the swashbuckling Confederates in the same vein as the iconic "Australian battler," whose English convict origins found them at odds with the British Crown. On the other hand, the ship departed under clouded circumstances as it was believed the crew also signed up recruits for their mission, which was illegal under British law at the time. Moreover, as a native New Englander myself, it has also piqued my interest in visiting the New Bedford Whaling Museum, which is something I plan to do next time I'm in the area. Ironically, on nearby Martha's Vineyard, there are two tall ships lurking in the waters close to the old New England whaling capital named the Shenandoah and the Alabama. The Alabama was a legendary Confederate raider until it was sunk off the coast of France. The Shenandoah was commissioned to replace the Alabama, which is another story spy novels are made of.

The book is well-researched and fairly easy to read. There are also accompanying maps and pictures to the text, which is helpful for reference while reading the story. Overall, I would recommend the book to anyone who has an interest in the Civil War or in maritime stories.

On a side note for centennial junkies, one may find Uncommon Carriers by John McPhee to be of interest. UPS is featured in one of chapters in the text.

traveler

Where next? Venice
Turning Angel by Greg Iles is a book that will keep you reading even if you are not a regular "reader of books" like me. The plot just keeps twisting and that makes it a very hard book to put down. Since reading this book, I have read two more by Greg Iles and they are also quite riveting.

If you like mystery and suspense, I would highly recommend this author.

PS. Sea of Grey sounds great. I will be ordering the book when I finish this post.

moreluck

golden ticket member
If you like John Grisham, there is another author with several books who writes similiar.....Brad Meltzer. Check him out.

Overpaid Union Thug

I'm a sci-fi freak. Over the past 2 years I've been reading books by Harry Turtledove. He writes "Alternate History" novels. I've read just about half of them. The last one I read was "The Gladiator."

over9five

Staff member
The only time I seem to have to read a book is when I go camping!

But, there are two magazines I read every issue:

Concealed Carry Magazine

American Rifleman

Join now!

my2cents

As a traveler yourself, I think you will enjoy "Sea of Grey," Traveler. I enjoy reading adventure/history/travel books myself. I picked up a copy of Into the Blue by Tony Horwitz while in Oz for reading on the long international flight back to the States. The book known as "Blue Latitudes" here is about Captain Cook, the epic explorer. The author visits all the places Cook explored and provides historical context and a contemporary outlook on the story. Horwitz is also an entertaining writer, much like Bill Bryson. In regards to Bryson, I've read In a Sunburned Country. It was fun postscript read after my visit to the Land of Oz.

Fishbulb

i read on my lunch break everyday & when i have free time on the weekends. I used to read the newspaper on lunch but its so depressing & the local news is usually crap like "Woman's cat stuck in tree, fire dept come to the rescue". At the moment I'm reading Driving Change, that UPS book. I saw that a copy was given to all of the managers one night when i came back to the building & asked if they had an extra copy & they gave me one. I'm about 100 pages into it, its a pretty good read. I thought at 1st it was going to be a motivational type of book but its more of a biography of UPS. I'm also reading The Complete Book Of Tai Chi Chuan. My g/friend has MS & her neurologist recommended Tai Chi to improve circulation & flexibility. I've always been interested in it myself but felt I would look like a weirdo doing it. I figured I look like a weirdo no matter what so to hell with what people think. Normally I read fictional realism type novels, Bukowski is one of my favorites. I like William S Burroughs & a little Knut Hamsun as well.

BigBrownSanta

I don't get much free time to read except during my lunch hour, so my reading is usually RSS feeds on my cell phone.

To me, books are way too overpriced, and I don't have time to visit the library.

raceanoncr

The magazine with that big picture that folds out and you have to hold sideways with one hand. I always tear that out first and throw it away. I just take the magazine because I like to read the articles.

Overpaid Union Thug

The Lord of the Rings books. Takes a while because the only place I read is in the bathroom.

I've read all of those twice. Including "The Hobbit." I've also read most of the other books pertaining to Lord of the Rings and the prequels and some of the spin offs. J.R.R. Tolkien's son just released the first complete book from J.R.R. since 1977, (The Silmarillian), and is called "The Children of Hurin. I'm usually a very fast reader but I always have to slow down when reading any of Tolkiens books pertaining to "Middle Earth" because there are so many characters to keep up with. It's even worse in the stories that took place before the events of The Hobbit, and Lord of the Rings. I had more trouble reading The Silmarillian than any other book I've ever read because it has somewhat of a biblical tone to it. I was able to get into it and finish it though. Either because Tolkien toned down the biblical tone after a few chapters or because I got used to it. I just know that despite being difficult to read in the beginning I still like it and eventually read it again.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
If you're looking for a funny book I recommend one that I recently stole from my 20 year old daughter: Hypocrite in a Pouffy White Dress - tales of growing up groovy and clueless by Susan Jane Gilman.

This book will probably appeal more to women, but I'd still recommend it to everyone. I've read a few other books this year but this one was by far my favorite. It was one of the few books that I will definitely read again just because I had such a good time reading it the first time.

Sammie

The magazine with that big picture that folds out and you have to hold sideways with one hand. I always tear that out first and throw it away. I just take the magazine because I like to read the articles.

Yeah Race, the cartoons and the interviews. That's what they all say....:wink:

But on a serious note, James Michener has always been one of my favorites. I'm reading his epic 'The Source' right now, which is a history of the Jewish people. It's about modern archaeologists who travel to the Middle East to uncover a particular dig where Stone Age cave men, thru the Roman empire, to those who now reside in Galilee, once lived.