what's the difference between a casual and a cover driver?

stink219

1. When they leave piss bottles in your truck?
2. When they blow off difficult stops thinking you'll be back on your route?
3. Doing their driver follow ups?
4. When the don't demand 8 hours and go home instead?
5. When they work through lunch?

Or did you mean what don't you like about BEING a casual or cover driver?

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Being a casual. Know that the union will never work for you. Sell you out every single time. For the part timer. A lot like this contract.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
For me, the "casual" driver is nothing more than a temp. Fresh meat to be exploited in management eyes. Although, in all fairness, I have seen some casuals during peak that refused to be exploited, knowing full well that they would be gone soon. They were given easy stuff to do and not too many stops.

The "cover" driver, aka, "split" driver in my parts, is a regular-union driver, without a bid route. They fill in as needed to cover bid routes and splits of the day.

What gets confusing is when a part timer becomes a casual during the freeze period. They are still union members but not working towards seniority. This is only temporary, so I consider they a split driver since after the freeze, they will be working towards seniority.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Well...if what I understand is true, it's this: A casual driver is a part timer that is qualified to drive (like a Saturday driver) and does utility work (what we call it in my area) which means they can learn a route and get some extra time in. A cover driver is a full time driver that doesn't have a bid route yet due to choice or seniority. Sucks to be a casual because you get paid less (25.12 here) and it can suck to be a cover driver because you could feasibly do a different route every day of the week. Some prefer to be top cover drivers so they can choose which route to do. And still others like to be casual drivers because they can tell the centers to piss off if they have something to do (in a nice way of course :happy-very:) and would rather work their pt shift instead. Good and bad for either.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Around here it's cover = pt driver used to cover vacations, swing = FT driver without a route, casual = seasonal= temporary peak driver. We don't have casuals outside of peak.