What's the lastest?

What's the latest projects that you guys are deploying now that will eventually help eliminate your job later? Does TSG still do any software upgrades? When I left, centers were starting to do DCS upgrades themselves and OPIE was installed so operators could do PAS upgrades themselves as well. GSS upgrades got simpler with each new version so I imagine that will eventually go to the hands of an operator as well.

How will peak go as it's usually the "slow" time for TSG? What's the fluff for your PMT calendars?

And I really hope there is no bad news for you guys come January. Have a good peak.

rups

I have nothing to do with TSG or the other areas that you mention but I found your statement interesting enough to reply.

What's the latest projects that you guys are deploying now that will eventually help eliminate your job later?

Throughout history, doesn't innovation itself replace jobs and redefine and recreate new jobs along the way?

I would imagine that the oil lamp businesses in NYC weren't to happy when Edison developed and commercialized the electrical network needed to support the light bulb. I would also imagine that the tens of thousands of ConEd employees who have sustained solid, lifetime careers as a result are pretty happy about the whole thing.

Especially if you are working in technology, expect that your job today will be gone in due time and replaced by a more innovative and sophisticated one in the near future.

Good luck!

I understand your innovation point but the problem is the TSG jobs are being eliminated altogether, not replaced with "more sophisticated" ones.

TSG used to have the responsibility of supporting an entire facility (or facilities). From end-user support, to supporting the servers, upgrading software and hardware, LAN and WAN troubleshooting, the whole 9 yards. Over the course of a couple years, all of the above responsibilities have been given to others. On top of that, micro-managing to the point of accounting for every minute of your day became the norm - for a SUPPORT function.

Most of the deployments have already been done to allow others to perform the TSG work. Since I haven't worked for UPS for over a year I was just wondering if there has been anything new.

Deeohem

You're right on the PFT upgrades though since OPIE requires admin rights, the centers aren't using it It seems like all OPIE does is centralize PFSConInstall Most 'PFT' upgrades seem to be objects that deploy during BOD, similar to how FDC has always upgraded itself.

GSS is on the way. I knew that as soon as I saw the word "Tivilo" in the docs. unless there were major problems that didn't make into CTSG comms, that was the last time TSG will do the work.

More info, I suggest browsing through the DSSR list at Open Systems Programming. True most of them don't concern TSG, but the ones that do, are nice reading. Things like zero-conf systems, Win2K End of Life, etc...

rups

I assume that the work still needs to be done. Where are these people located and do they work for UPS?

End-user support, supporting the servers, upgrading software and hardware, LAN and WAN troubleshooting, etc. The expectation that this works needs to be done by someone locally on-site is no longer how a large number of these technologies need to be supported.

Take a look Google Trends on "Virtualization" or "Ubuntu"

People who understand and can implement technologies like this are who UPS will be hiring in the future. I also wouldn't expect the hiring to be at a local level. There are endless benefits that come with having your IT staff located in a few datacenters instead of being spread out.

My guess - the days of CD installs and needing admin rights are coming to an end. Maybe not right away but all in due time.