What's the normal day like for a PM driver?

How long is training usually? Seems like alot of stuff you just gotta experience on the road. Did you guys use alot of maps and or GPS the first couple of weeks?

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
How long is training usually? Seems like alot of stuff you just gotta experience on the road. Did you guys use alot of maps and or GPS the first couple of weeks?
The training period has really shrunken over the years thanks to greediness at the upper levels but also depends on a stations training budget too. Used maps until I learned an area but never got rid of them because there'd always be that one wayward address that would need looking up. GPS? There wasn't any back early 90's when I started out. Old school all the way.

McFeely

Huge Member

Training: 2 days for learning to drive a W700-sized truck and then courier school which is a few days. You'll have some online training too before all of that.

Training on your route: you might get a couple of weeks of training on your actual route, depending on when they can get you scheduled for defensive driving. I got 3 days of training on my current route, only 2 days of training on another route I did in the past.

If the size of your route is huge, you may need a map to plot out stops and it'll take some time to memorize it. If you're just doing pickups, you'll memorize your regular stops in no time. I still have all my laminated maps from all the routes I used to run just in case I get asked to run one of them. Your cellphone may not have great coverage everywhere on your route so a printed map is a good backup to have.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
McNugget,

are windshield mounted GPS units still prohibited?

I saw a few Express drivers using them in my neck of the woods, because we don't have cellphone reception all the time

Are all PM couriers trained on those 700 step vans or just non DOT drivers, using the < 10k freight liners or similar cargo vans?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
McNugget,

I saw a few Express drivers using them in my neck of the woods, because we don't have cellphone reception all the time

Are all PM couriers trained on those 700 step vans or just non DOT drivers, using the < 10k freight liners or similar cargo vans?
Yes. The use of any electronic devices is prohibited while driving.

Last edited:

McFeely

Huge Member
Technically I think Express policy prohibits all electronics usage in the cab. Most managers will look the other way on it, but I think it’s against policy. Most all of our swings use their routing app on their phone and mgmt knows it.

I think all Express couriers are trained on a step van so that they are eligible to drive one if needed. Some days at my station the only trucks available for the pm routes are step vans. Of course not all Express drivers are DOT, but I imagine most start out trained on a 700 or 630.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Yes. The use of any electronic devices is prohibited while driving.
As long as the driver isn't touching the device while driving... like a hud, same as glancing over the instrument panel for speed, oil, coolant temperature, etc.

It's those Amazon flex drivers I see in my neighborhood on Sunday, holding their smartphones while driving are distracted. Goto a dollar store & get a holder!

Oldfart

The use of electronic devices in the cab is prohibited. Touching the device is not the issue. You can't use a hands free phone and you aren't touching it.

Oldfart

McNugget,

In my area, all DOT drivers are trained in a 700. That way they can drive a 700, 900, and anything smaller. All non-DOT are trained in an Econoline and are limited to driving a Sprinter or similar style and the Econoline style vans. They typically train in the biggest vehicle you can drive and you can drive down in size. Just like when you attend Tractor Training class. They will usually certify you to drive a Bob truck even though you actually didn't train in that truck.

Of course not all Express drivers are DOT, but I imagine most start out trained on a 700 or 6

If you have a windshield holder for a phone or GPS that rule seems silly. As long as you aren't playing with it on the road. Why do they have DOT and NON DOT drivers? Whats the difference?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Oh ok, well the job I applied for is DOT, so I wonder if that means my route is a busy pickup route and I'll be driving the bigger vehicles if I get the job

...or perhaps they want you to be DOT qualified so that you can operate whatever vehicle, regardless of weight, is available when you start your shift...

vantexan

Oh ok, well the job I applied for is DOT, so I wonder if that means my route is a busy pickup route and I'll be driving the bigger vehicles if I get the job
These days if they don't designate your route as non-DOT then most likely you will be driving a stepvan. If your route is busy enough you'll need the space.

McFeely

Huge Member
Defensive driving teaches you about the trucks and filling out the VIR and driving, etc.

Courier school is about fedex delivery and pick up methods, labeling packages, time cards, how to use the powerpad, etc.