What's the point of having a good job , if you have no time for your family ?

JustDeliverIt

Hopefully i won't regret it when i get older.

That was a discussion I had recently at work. Five 10 hour days a week is plenty but I enjoy my life outside of work too much to spend all my waking hours there. Kids are only young once, the wife only likes doing so many things alone with them. The money is nice but got by just fine without working 60 hours and have no desire at all to do it.

Ghost in the Darkness

Yeah I agree, I push myself harder on Sundays to get things I need done at home and as many things as I can with the kids that I often feel more tired on Monday mornings than I do after working the 6th day. The cycle repeats, I am more tired at work, I get done later, see less of my family and then try again Sundays to do everything they want to do because I know I won't have much time to spend with them during the week. The extra money is nice in smaller duration of OT, but its not a fair tradeoff longer term for family or a personal life time. Like someone else said, how many gravestones say "I wish I worked more in life."

SLW

They're not going to be able to keep people around for very long if nothing is done about the work/life balance, especially with my generation and younger. Even the guys about to retire said they wouldn't have done this job if they started today . . . and that was before COVID. It's not really worth the money, but I have a lot of debt, so I'll be here for a minute.

Son of ORION

3 week vacations after 5 years of service doesn't sound too bad, plus 5 options days, 10 US official holidays and sick and personal days....I don't get it when you talk about "have no time for your family"

FreedomOne

3 week vacations after 5 years of service doesn't sound too bad, plus 5 options days, 10 US official holidays and sick and personal days....I don't get it when you talk about "have no time for your family"

Feeling like :censored2: and dog tired all the time doesn't inspire a person do the things they use to. Vacation you say, yeah that couch looks nice. Pass the bourbon.

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
Don't get a third week until 10 years in the Southern.

same in the northeast, and this was something I thought we should improve on to try and attract and keep more mechanics,however the I.A.M local agreements pretty much follow the teamster local agreements So I doubt we could get 3 after 5 years.

the union did bump starting pay for mechanics to 31 or so from 22 and we STILL can’t get anybody to work here.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Who cares. No one actually thinks of the southern as a actually part of UPS teamsters.
1592752881668.png

DriverNerd

It also really depends on your spouse. Mine works at UPS part time so she knows all about my job and has no issues with my hours (well, some, but she understands) and she like to spend "our" money. She wouldn't need to work at all, but she makes $21/hr part time, so it's just one of those 'might as well' kind of things. I know a lot of guys who get divorced because their spouses feel neglected or lonely (which isn't untrue). My biggest problem isn't the family time, it's the house upkeep. I can do the minor stuff, but any major projects are tough to find trime for.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
It also really depends on your spouse. Mine works at UPS part time so she knows all about my job and has no issues with my hours (well, some, but she understands) and she like to spend "our" money. She wouldn't need to work at all, but she makes $21/hr part time, so it's just one of those 'might as well' kind of things. I know a lot of guys who get divorced because their spouses feel neglected or lonely (which isn't untrue). My biggest problem isn't the family time, it's the house upkeep. I can do the minor stuff, but any major projects are tough to find trime for.

That’s when you need a good handyman pay him well remember him at Christmas