What's the point of having a good job , if you have no time for your family ?

Dumbo

It's honestly just the lifestyle. Sacrifice time for money. My guess as it's always been this way at UPS. Cops are another profession, as well as doctors, lawyers, and plenty of other professions. I have cop friends that not only work the hours we do but they have to work overnights, weekends, and all holidays, for less money than we make. You have to know what you're getting into before you commit.

As gumby said I work hard and a lot of hours so my wife can stay home with our kids, and I try to make the best of the time at I'm home with them.

Bottom line I think anybody expecting a 40 hour work week before going into this job had some bad information or was just naive.

FedUPSer9816

Full Service
I chose this life, twice. It fits me being single with no kids. House already paid off, new luxury car to be paid off this year, helping my family, friends. In better shape now than in high school. Better days to come with top rate. I can chill on the weekends, well now Sunday. But I actually like this job, love driving, get a workout, mentally challenged bringing order to chaos, making people's day with good service. Sure some things annoy me but overall I'm happy.

542thruNthru

I chose this life, twice. It fits me being single with no kids. House already paid off, new luxury car to be paid off this year, helping my family, friends. In better shape now than in high school. Better days to come with top rate. I can chill on the weekends, well now Sunday. But I actually like this job, love driving, get a workout, mentally challenged bringing order to chaos, making people's day with good service. Sure some things annoy me but overall I'm happy.

Good for you brother. That's the mentality

11.19igrad

same in the northeast, and this was something I thought we should improve on to try and attract and keep more mechanics,however the I.A.M local agreements pretty much follow the teamster local agreements So I doubt we could get 3 after 5 years.

the union did bump starting pay for mechanics to 31 or so from 22 and we STILL can’t get anybody to work here.
That’s crazy.

cachmeifucan

Who cares. No one actually thinks of the southern as a actually part of UPS teamsters.
Well 705 gets 8 weeks paid at 50 hours and 4 option days and we can split up 1 week of vacation. The long days is the reason I couldn't drive package. Il make way less but better hours as 22.3 I start at 2am on Monday out by 2 and take eat my lunch on the clock

Thead Shi

I have this discussion quite a bit with co workers and we all come to the same conclusion, hours and management aside where else can you find a job that pays 40 dollars an hour with a pension and free health care right out of high school?

I almost quit to go back to my old job which was 50k a year at 30 hours 4 days a week but when they offered it I just couldn't accept it. Since then my girlfriend of many years left me and since I don't have kids my limited time is my own and it's great. This job is only gonna get more demanding as time goes on but luckily with every new hire theres that much more of a chance you get the morning phone call. Its a tough gig that has perks most people envy and call us 'lucky' but they do not understand the sacrifice.

My advice is to try to not drink on weekdays and if you can get yourself in great shape by working out or exercising it makes the day that much easier when your not exerting yourself all day. We're all a little unlucky atm with covid deliveries but we all also remember those good days when we are driving down the road thinking we're lucky to have such an easy job for the money!

rod

Retired 22 years

GaloSengen

Preloading Grunt
Hopefully i won't regret it when i get older.
You most likely will, even with the good healthcare provided for free, your health with just constantly decline nevertheless. If its not physical health it will be mental health. Your stress will seep into your job and you'll end up like some of my preload coworkers that became drivers, raging at their fellow preloaders over the most minute of things a year into the job, forgetting that they were in the same position not too long ago.

The toxic work environment of UPS isn't just a detriment to your personal life, its a detriment to your work life itself. That's why I don't sweat it with some of the drivers when they wanna talk about my load quality and how they did a better job 20 something years ago when ecommerce wasn't a thing. Frankly the only good things I've gotten over the 5 years working here is the study work benefits to go to school, the job security and the healthcare benefits.

Dumbo

You most likely will, even with the good healthcare provided for free, your health with just constantly decline nevertheless. If its not physical health it will be mental health. Your stress will seep into your job and you'll end up like some of my preload coworkers that became drivers, raging at their fellow preloaders over the most minute of things a year into the job, forgetting that they were in the same position not too long ago.

The toxic work environment of UPS isn't just a detriment to your personal life, its a detriment to your work life itself. That's why I don't sweat it with some of the drivers when they wanna talk about my load quality and how they did a better job 20 something years ago when ecommerce wasn't a thing. Frankly the only good things I've gotten over the 5 years working here is the study work benefits to go to school, the job security and the healthcare benefits.

“Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."

MisplacedRailWorker

an absolute *ing disgrace of a human being.
Funny how leaving Conrail (6:00P-6:00A, 3 on 3 off) and spending most of my days on-call with guarantee at Amtrak, turning a wheel (going on-duty) maybe twice a week, put me in the express lane to divorce. Once we had time to spend together things turned south REAL quick.

Me and my ex-wife were more in love than anyone we knew, when we only had a few hours together here and there.

Preload was probably the job I liked least in my life, and I've had awful jobs, but I can't disagree more with anyone who says driving a package car is stressful or mentally taxing. It's all relative I guess, but driving around all day dropping packages here and there is about as mindless as it gets, presuming you have even the slightest sense of organization. I've had stressful jobs with legitimate emotional demands and tolls, this really isn't bad. As for time, I don't know what people are used to, but this 50hr/wk thing is about 30-40 less than I used to work, but like I said, stress is relative to your own personal experiences. My wife and kids couldn't be happier with the amount of time I get to be home now.

UPSER1987

Preload was probably the job I liked least in my life, and I've had awful jobs, but I can't disagree more with anyone who says driving a package car is stressful or mentally taxing. It's all relative I guess, but driving around all day dropping packages here and there is about as mindless as it gets, presuming you have even the slightest sense of organization. I've had stressful jobs with legitimate emotional demands and tolls, this really isn't bad. As for time, I don't know what people are used to, but this 50hr/wk thing is about 30-40 less than I used to work, but like I said, stress is relative to your own personal experiences. My wife and kids couldn't be happier with the amount of time I get to be home now.
Exactly...a lot of whiny girls on here. (You didn’t say or imply that, I did)

MisplacedRailWorker

an absolute *ing disgrace of a human being.
This is a joke, right? Maybe I got smacked around too hard by some air lines in the yard, or lost my sense of sarcasm underneath some railcar.