What's the point of having a good job , if you have no time for your family ?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
First learn how to quote, second nobody believes that one damn word you say on here
1A11A26B-90AF-42FE-986F-C012C16FA6F5.gif

Est.1998

FedEx and amazon do the same job and make less money ....... don’t take things for granted there is always a bright side
Those companies are similar to UPS but they definitely don't do the same job.
Its very easy to get complacent when one does the same thing day in and day out, but like breathing, you appreciate air a lot more when it's taken away.

MisplacedRailWorker

an absolute *ing disgrace of a human being.
No, it's not. If you can't get it done, let your OR know you need help. If you can't get help after giving timely notice, it either gets done or it doesn't. Overdispatching is UPS's problem, not mine.

Now, if you're a 22.4, god help you. That job just sounds awful with no hours protection. But the principle is the same, it gets done or it doesn't, just notify your OR in a timely manner and you've done your part.
Oh yeah, on-road sup will totally understand. What was I thinking. He's there to build me up buttercup, time is my friend!

Oh yeah, on-road sup will totally understand. What was I thinking. He's there to build me up buttercup, time is my friend!

You let them know you need help or pickups will be missed. If you ever wanna see an OR get his/her tits lit up, watch a BM go off when you sheet a pickup missed and the OR did nothing. Documentation is your friend.

You can disagree and tell me how stressed this job makes you, it is what it is, I'm just saying they can only do to you what you let them. I know how I go through my day and I get by just fine.

542thruNthru

You let them know you need help or pickups will be missed. If you ever wanna see an OR get his/her tits lit up, watch a BM go off when you sheet a pickup missed and the OR did nothing. Documentation is your friend.

You can disagree and tell me how stressed this job makes you, it is what it is, I'm just saying they can only do to you what you let them. I know how I go through my day and I get by just fine.

We call it.. "putting the ball in their court". I alert them to the issue by DIAD.. after that its their problem not mine.

That's why they are called supervisors. ;)

Over70irregs

It's honestly just the lifestyle. Sacrifice time for money. My guess as it's always been this way at UPS. Cops are another profession, as well as doctors, lawyers, and plenty of other professions. I have cop friends that not only work the hours we do but they have to work overnights, weekends, and all holidays, for less money than we make. You have to know what you're getting into before you commit.

As gumby said I work hard and a lot of hours so my wife can stay home with our kids, and I try to make the best of the time at I'm home with them.

Bottom line I think anybody expecting a 40 hour work week before going into this job had some bad information or was just naive.
Naw just because were conditioned to accept long hours doesn’t make it right.

MisplacedRailWorker

You obviously don't understand what @Just A UPS Guy is saying.
Like I said, lost a lot of brain cells switching Conrail loads at the Bayway refinery...

But I do recall one summer night, around 6:00, requesting help from my OR. Heavy commercial route with endless resis going to illegible building numbers in Chinatown. His response:

"You could literally die right now I don't care if you're thirsty, shot, wounded, you need to get those 75 stops OFF. I don't care if you summon Christ to help you. Just hurry up and stop wasting time breathing and all that. DELIVER."

MisplacedRailWorker

Like I said, lost a lot of brain cells switching Conrail loads at the Bayway refinery...

But I do recall one summer night, around 6:00, requesting help from my OR. Heavy commercial route with endless resis going to illegible building numbers in Chinatown. His response:

"You could literally die right now I don't care if you're thirsty, shot, wounded, you need to get those 75 stops OFF. I don't care if you summon Christ to help you. Just hurry up and stop wasting time breathing and all that. DELIVER."
Disclaimer: We were both Marines and he knew I could handle it. By "it" I mean impossible requests with little resources. We're actually still close friends.

Indecisi0n

This is why you shouldn't have a family. Listen, you know it and I know it that your wife is banging your buddy. And those kids just never stop bothering everyone.
Moral of the story, don't have kids.