What's the point of having a good job , if you have no time for your family ?

MisplacedRailWorker

an absolute *ing disgrace of a human being.
Well kids story time is over, she’s here and I’m on duty 0345! Have a safe day everyone.
B85C9677-0379-4CBA-BF7A-962C776ED349.png

542thruNthru

Like I said, lost a lot of brain cells switching Conrail loads at the Bayway refinery...

But I do recall one summer night, around 6:00, requesting help from my OR. Heavy commercial route with endless resis going to illegible building numbers in Chinatown. His response:

"You could literally die right now I don't care if you're thirsty, shot, wounded, you need to get those 75 stops OFF. I don't care if you summon Christ to help you. Just hurry up and stop wasting time breathing and all that. DELIVER."

Yeah that's nice. You're a good storyteller. If any of that is true you're worthless to talk to anyways because you're a pusillanimous and just takes it up the A*.
tenor-14.gif

Nice try though.

cachmeifucan

I live in a great suburb. In DuPage county. School district is a 9. But yes I work in a third world concrete craphole. We are about to get .80 raise. So as a 22.3 il be at 32.89. Working 50 to 55 hours and next year il have 7 weeks paid at 50 hours. And if I want I could work all 7 and make another 12k

Over70irregs

I live in a great suburb. In DuPage county. School district is a 9. But yes I work in a third world concrete craphole. We are about to get .80 raise. So as a 22.3 il be at 32.89. Working 50 to 55 hours and next year il have 7 weeks paid at 50 hours. And if I want I could work all 7 and make another 12k
Take time to rest body. It’s a marathon.

SameRightsForAll

I think the bigger question is, how long will your marriage last if you come home and pass out every night, sleep most of the weekend to recuperate. How many ball games were you able to attend? Were you there for your kids during Boy/Girl scouts? How about that Donuts for Dads at school? Talent shows, football games, basketball games, other sports! Were you a no-show most of their school years? Did you even give a crap? Did mom do it all? How about going through marriage problems and knowing your wife has gone rogue (I'll leave it at that). The day I saw a long time full time driver weep one day for missing his kids' major event is the day I decided there's no way on God's Green Earth I would trade my quality of life for a bigger paycheck. The flipside to this coin is that many would argue that your job is to provide for your family, and that's it... just provide $$$ and not necessarily be there much while they need you. There so many dads like this who might not even want a home life. So, there are the guys with no families... the solo money grabbing road whores who never take their hour lunch and have nothing else going on in life... the company just absolutely adores you. You're on your way, pal.

Over70irregs

File 9.5, 8hr day, fmla, sick days, floaters. Be tough about it. If you run your body will not make it. Use grievance $ to finance your days off. You have no friends at brown when it comes to your time.

Method Mensch

Hopefully i won't regret it when i get older.
That's one nice thing about being an air driver. I can always say no. For the time being, I'm grabbing the hours and the top rate. My kids aren't doing much soccer, lax, hockey etc. owing to the covid restrictions. When things finally get back to normal, I'll make sure I can chauffeur them around and maybe coach them again. I'm also looking forward to my 4 weeks off coming up shortly. Like my old man (may he rest in peace) used to tell me and my siblings, don't live to work, but work for a living. You can't walk into a department store, pull out your wallet and purchase things like dinner with your family or witnessing your kid score that game- winning goal.

I can picture him saying those words and I miss him. A prince among men.

Keep your chins up, brothers and sisters and help your coworkers out when you're able to. Take that 50 steps off him so he can take his kid to ballgame or whatever.