whats the pros and cons of being in the union

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
You should see what kind of employee mediocrity not having a union would bring.
We all have those pickups. How slow can you go...

UPS would have half the people but the pay would be double or triple, and each would do the work of 3. Productivity is why we can earn and be competitive.

watdaflock?

And you probably think that we would be making the same amount of money with the same benefits if there wasn’t a union at ups.....lmao... riggghhhtt!!!
Actually, newer employees would make more. As for benefits, I agree with you.

Sarcasm has a tendency to go over peoples head.

summersaltstains

No but they aren't worked to death
I see them running and pulling into every little driveway because they are often paid by the package, not the hour. I may have to work more hours but at least I can work them at a safe pace. I may have had 300 stops to the FedEx guys 100 last peak but he was the one running and I was the one taking my break at 10pm with 30 stops left, making double or triple what he did that day.

35years

Gravy route
Pros: When you are terminated your Business Agent will be trying to get your job back....

Guess who will likely be more interested in fighting for...
1 A dues paying member who's dues pay his salary
2 A freeloader who doesn't pay his fair share.

browndevil

We get paid well for what we do. Great benefits. Seniority. I've been an office jockey for 15 yrs before UPS and would rather have the Union have my back.

FYI-Something to think about when you are mindlessly delivering your resi's this afternoon....How has the middle class been in the US since union membership has dwindled since the 1980's / 1990's? How do you think the next wave of retirees will do when they realize there is no pension to supplement their SS check and / or 401k?
THIS!!!

Days

We all have those pickups. How slow can you go...

UPS would have half the people but the pay would be double or triple, and each would do the work of 3. Productivity is why we can earn and be competitive.

You’re actually delusional. How about more work for less pay?

Days

Less pay? You sound like our union negotiators.

The reason we can compete and afford high wages is because of our productivity.

Ya but there would be no guarantee of those wages.

They could just decide to pay one driver 45 an hour and a different one with similar seniority 25

coolslice

Pros- You get a nifty booklet in the mail that outlines Teamster corruption and tries to scare you into voting for liberals by using terms like "war on workers."

Cons- You eventually realize the company does whatever it wants and the union only cares about getting your dues. You also realize that you pay for union brass to get raises and take trips all over the country while you are forced to work overtime in semi-barbaric conditions, have your time allowance cut on a regular basis, get harassed and bullied, and an ever increasing workload. You will soon realize that the union forced a garbage contract upon you, as the company starts to transition to a workforce of essentially temp workers that get no real benefits, lower pay, and a 7 day work schedule. That's just the start of it.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Pros- You get a nifty booklet in the mail that outlines Teamster corruption and tries to scare you into voting for liberals by using terms like "war on workers."

Cons- You eventually realize the company does whatever it wants and the union only cares about getting your dues. You also realize that you pay for union brass to get raises and take trips all over the country while you are forced to work overtime in semi-barbaric conditions, have your time allowance cut on a regular basis, get harassed and bullied, and an ever increasing workload. You will soon realize that the union forced a garbage contract upon you, as the company starts to transition to a workforce of essentially temp workers that get no real benefits, lower pay, and a 7 day work schedule. That's just the start of it.
Hard to argue with you, but there are plenty more pros lol. Your con list is pretty damn accurate though.

browndevil

Curious to know what State you work in?

rown_oser

Same As It Ever Was
National Labor Relations Act
Congress enacted the National Labor Relations Act ("NLRA") in 1935 to protect the rights of employees and employers, to encourage collective bargaining, and to curtail certain private sector labor and management practices, which can harm the general welfare of workers, businesses and the U.S. economy.

source [] https://www.nlrb.gov/how-we-work/national-labor-relations-act

"Employees shall have the right to self-organization, to form, join, or assist labor organizations, to bargain collectively through representatives of their own choosing, and to engage in other concerted activities for the purpose of collective bargaining or other mutual aid or protection..."

-"National Labor Relations Act of 1935"

Because capitalism is greedy, enough employees were sick of being abused and/or experiencing death in the workplace. Enough said "enough is enough with these unfair work-practices so let's do something about it" and the aforementioned was passed. Capitalistic businesses are traditionally cha$ing dollar $ign$ and not looking out for their fellow-human-subordinate—company-value-adding's welfare.

Last edited:

Driver7906

The only real con I can think of with the Union is that they protect the lazy, lousy workers. The guys who always look to do the bare minimum, are a poor representation of the company (and the Union as well), have no appreciation for their job and make their co-workers have to work harder because of their laziness. There are a number of employees in my building who don't belong there and I wish the company could find a way to fire them. They're bad for the Union and UPS.